1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I hate Stephen A. Smith

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Drewdog, Mar 2, 2005.

1. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

There are ghettos a'plenty, I've been there a half-dozen times, but I can't recall SaS ever talking about the "mean streets" or "ghettos" or anything like that. RKMAN made a statement that equated all of Philly with lower-income housing.

Smith is way off on a lot of stuff, more and more since he started writing less, but street cred isn't a big sticking point with him.

2. Summer Song Giver

Click is the sound my remote makes whenever he is on the Tele.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I imagine Smith's endearing attitude comes from the fact that he wishes he were living in New York, covering his beloved Knicks.

Remember when Shaq was on the block last summer?

"Here's our analyst Stephen A. Smith. Stephen, Miami and Dallas are both in the running for Shaq. Do you see either of those teams....etc etc?"

"BLAH BLAH BLAH, you know, BLAH BLAH, and that ain't gonna happen, BLAH BLAH, it's all a bunch o' hype..."

"Well, where do you see Shaq playing?"

"How about the Knicks? They certainly have the big contracts, they can easily put together a package BLAH BLAH BLAH."

4. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

its like he's trying to be areverend or something, yup he is very annoying, him and walton doin a game?can you imagine? thanks god for mute!!

5. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

What I really hate is that "Old Skool - Nu Skool" crap they do on weekends. The other one's just as much of an idiot and he defers to Stephen A. on subjects that he knows would set Smith off if he pushed it. I think it was Sunday when Smith was throwing a 3-minute tirade (in relation to Barry Bonds' steroids quotes) and just blurting a bunch of unfounded and ridiculous stuff about how being black is almost a crime in sports, etc. You could see that the other guy thought he was crazy but he didn't say anything in response because he was hoping that Smith would just shut up if he let him rant. But, as a result of having no one to interrupt him, Stephen A. just kept going and going and going until the guy came up with an argument that wasn't really a counterpoint at all - just a way of making Stephen A. Smith shut up.

If yelling and ranting like a ****ing moron is "Nu Skool," then I like my analysts "Paleolithic Preschool."

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i really don't care...but....

no he didn't.

he never said all of Philly was ghetto. he said, "that may work well in the ghettos of Philly.." there are "ghettos" in virtually every city...or at least bad areas of town that we would refer to as ghettos. Philly is no different. so in those particular areas of Philly, that may work...that's what he's saying.

7. KellyDwyer

There are two ways to interpret a moronic statement. I took it as moronic, you took as something else altogether.

I hope you feel secure in your interpretation.

8. SilverSaint

SilverSaint Member

You should get "hooked on phonics" and learn to read so that you don't misinterpret s**t :rolleyes:

9. MadMax

the ghettos of Philly implies that Philly has ghettos. it does not imply, in less you read in more than is there, that ALL of Philly is a ghetto.

again...the ghettos of Houston deal with poverty. not all of Houston is ghetto.

i'm quite happy with my "interpretation." i like reading!

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

And that's why it was a moronic statement. He basically called people in ghettos morons.

11. MadMax

ohhhhhh....ok..i'm the moron. i get it now. i thought the concern was merely that he was saying all of Philly was a ghetto. sorry!!!!

12. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I think by any objective academic standard, many people in ghettos are in fact morons.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Oh, I think that's what some were arguing. I was just adding why I thought it was an idiotic comment and you helped bring it up. :)

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Funny, I've heard the same thing about vanilla body wash wearing,loofa scrubbing guys too.

15. Summer Song Giver

I took it to mean that SAS's act may go over with the brutha's but no self respecting white people will listen to his drivel :p

/You may not construe the above statement as only whites are self respecting ;)

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Of course. :p

That's why they dumped David Aldridge and kept Stephen A. Smith.

David. Calm. Cool. Professional. Ratings? Nope.

Stephen. Loud. Abrasive. New Yawk attitude. Ratings? They hope.

I don't know what actually works better for the ratings. Aiming for young, hip-hop audience? Smith. Aiming for white people turned off by perceived lack of vanilla in the NBA spectrum? (Boy, have I met a few of these people.) Aldridge.

17. KellyDwyer

Yes, because someone is born poor, they are automatically stupid. That makes sense.

18. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

TJ -- who knew you were from the ghetto?

19. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Hilarious!!! :D :D :D

20. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I am a "brutha" and I hate his act. Who do I blame? Of course the stupid ESPN that thinks he is cool. The stupid ESPN also think the stupid Dan Patrick and that senile guy that does ATH and Cold Pizza is cool too.

Rubbish talking heads.