1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dont feel bad for lobsters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by aeroman10, Feb 14, 2005.

1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i'm not saying lobsters feel pain b/c they very well may not, but if you don't how do you know when to escape something that's damaging you? maybe being human makes it impossible to understand since something always hurts when it'd doing damage to you, but it would seem weird.

now i don't eat lobster (no reason, just don't eat them), but if boiling pigs in water was the only way to get bacon, then sorry porky.

2. Fatty FatBastard

Actually, the lobster tries to escape because he's placed in a rather small area. Any animal, or bug for that matter, will try to escape.

I can believe that a lobster can't feel heat. Why would any fish need that ability?

3. MADE

MADE Member

anyone know a good place to order lobster like the all-u-can-eat lobster at pappa's seafood or king fish market?

4. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

i think this thread is kinda silly b/c as we are not lobsters, we won't really know the answer. but one reminder for the vegetarians that might think (not you jeff) that by not eating meat, they are not killing an animal. well, if all humans became herbivores, there wouldn't be enough plants in the world to suffice us. we'd be fighting over it and some of us would die of starvation when there is a shortage.

darwinism prevails.

there is a reason why some animals on the earth are carnivores, herbivores and omnivores. humans happen to be omnivores unless by personal choice or culture, etc.

but i do eat meat and while i feel bad for a second, if you put steak in front of me, my mouth will water. :)

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Cook's Illustrated did an article some time back on the best/most humane way to kill a lobster. "Best" in this case meant best for the meat while "most humane" was mostly least traumatizing for the executioner. They experimented with dozens of ways to kill a lobster. I remember: boiling, decapitating, cutting in half, skewering with a chopstick, microwaving, and putting them in cold water and gradually increase to boiling. They ultimately concluded that the best way was the traditional way -- drop them in boiling water. They said microwaving was the worst because the lobster acted as though electrocuted (I wonder if electrocution was one).

6. buddry

buddry Member

All you have to do is remember that a lobster is closely related to a cockroach. I am sure you wouldn't feel bad about killing one of those.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

When you dive, octopus will try to take your arm back to their cave because it's warm. They think it would make a nice heater. It kinda cool. After a while, they realize they can't take your arm, so they "Give in" to you and you can play them. Even cooler.

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Damn how much does all-you-can-eat lobster cost. Where I live our only seafood options are Long John Silver's and Captain D's. :(

9. Fatty FatBastard

There used to be an all-you-can-eat lobster place called "The Boston Sea Party", but it's long gone.

10. Isabel

Isabel Member

Actually, not surprising. How long does it take for the lobster to lose consciousness/ leave this life in boiling water? Hopefully it's almost instantaneous. It would seem like torture to put it in cold water and boil that, or to microwave it, because the temperature would be gradually increasing. Assuming it had some sense of discomfort, it would be getting more and more uncomfortable. The traditional way may well be the quickest.

11. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I don't think that eating an animal because it doesn't hurt when you kill it isn't much justification. I am sure many animals I eat are in pain when they are killed. I have no problem with someone not wanting to eat meat for whatever reason it is (your reasons, religion, whatever).

I only have a problem with people/organizations like PETA who try to condemn my beliefs and force their opinion on me. If they don't want to eat meat, that is fine with me. I believe animals do feel pain in many cases, but I also believe these animals are serving their purpose when I eat them. I can understand how others don't feel that way and thats fine. Everyone has different opinions on why/why not to eat meat.

12. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

I had to boil about 200 lobsters over the course of six months and I think it took about 10 seconds for them to die if dumped in boiling water. That doesn't seem too bad. I definately would prefer it myself to being put in cold water being brought to a boil.

13. Fatty FatBastard

I've been told that if you put a frog in cold water, and then bring it to a boil, the frog won't try to escape at all. It will just lose consciousness and die.

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

If Peta has any kind of beef (heh) with the way lobsters are treated, it should be with the way they are transported around live, put on display, packed in with no room to move around and their claws taped shut, likely unfed and just waiting to die. Not the 10 seconds or whatever it takes to kill them.

Again though, I feel no remorse eating animals. God's creatures are tasty, just the way He intended.

15. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

I'm not sure about that one. Culinarily speaking, I haven't any use for the body of the frog, just the legs. I would be concerned that cooking the whole frog might result in the internal organs contaminating the rest of the meat. So I always buy just the legs and saute them.

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Frog legs, yummy! :)

17. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I'm not a fan of PETA. But, keep in mind that some who do criticize people that eat meat do so for the same reasons anti-abortionists try to prevent women from having abortions. There are people who really do equate killing an animal with murder.

That is why I personally don't care for any group that approaches their beliefs with that level of zeal. It's a rather smug way of viewing your opinion. To me, trying to force me to comply to your belief system is a sure way to get me to misbehave. I obviously didn't become a vegetarian for PETA's benefit. :)