1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Girls Get Donations in Colo. Cookie Case

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Invisible Fan, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Couldn't find original topic...

Girls Get Donations in Colo. Cookie Case

Thu Feb 10, 6:44 PM ET

By ROBERT WELLER, Associated Press Writer

DENVER - The cookie conflict isn't over yet. The spat between two teens from the southwestern Colorado town of Durango and one of their neighbors over a batch of cookies they baked last summer has garnered national publicity over the past week. It has led to donations for the girls.

For Herb and Wanita Young, it has all been a nightmare.

"We have got horrendous phone calls, tons of hate mail, threats to our life," said Herb Young in a telephone interview Thursday.

The saga began in July when Taylor Ostergaard, 17, and Lindsey Jo Zellitti decided to bake chocolate chip and sugar cookies for their neighbors. They placed them outside with large red or pink construction-paper hearts that carried the message, "Have a great night" and were signed with their first initials: "Love, The T and L Club."

Things went sour when they approached the Young home. Wanita Renea Young, 49, said she heard someone banging on the door late in the evening and saw "shadowy figures" who refused to answer when she called out to them. The teens later said they did not answer because they wanted the treats to be a surprise.

A frightened Young said she spent the night at her sister's home, then went to the hospital the next morning because she was still shaking and had an upset stomach.

The Youngs said they tried to settle the dispute, even enlisting their clergy. The teens say they offered to pay the medical bills, but Young insisted on going to small claims court where a judge awarded about $900 in medical costs.

As they story spread, Denver radio station KOA raised more than enough money to pay the court award. The girls, who did not immediately return messages, were expected to be in Denver later Thursday to accept a check from the station. They have already been invited on national television shows and a cookie company has created a "Kindness Cookie" in their honor.

Things have not gone as well for the Youngs.

"It's horrible, nobody has heard our side," said Herb Young, adding the couple has had to hire a lawyer. "I don't believe the girls meant for this to happen. But they could have prevented it from happening if they had just shut their mouths when they came out of (small claims) court. Now they are caught in something they can't control."

The parents of one of the teens asked for a restraining order against Herb Young, accusing him of making harassing phone calls. He admitted calling the Ostergaards once after hearing the teens were talking to a newspaper and at one point said "the gloves were off," which apparently was taken as a threat.

"My home isn't a home any more," Young said. "We are all on pins and needles."

I like how the miserly bastards blamed the girls for not shutting their mouths when nothing would've happened if they didn't sue in the first place.

2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

i don't wish those a-holes any physical harm...but karma man, when they say things like "justice is served" after getting the court decision to pay them $900 and making the girls cry.

When did knocking on someone's door at 10pm and leaving cookies become a suible offense? I mean, these guys must be freakin out around Halloween.

3. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

The gloves are off, eh?

Apparently the public agreed with him.

4. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Nobody has heart their side of the story??! How stupid is this guy? He and Wanita could have prevented it if they had just let shut their mouths, but NOOOOOO, they had to go and take these two kind hearted girls to small claims court even after the girls offered, again out of kindness, to pay their medical bills, which IMO they were not obligated to do. Sorry Herb, but you and Wanita are the ones caught in something you can't control and deserve any criticism that comes your way.

Anyone care to give Herb a call or drop him a line?

Herbert E Young
    753 Broken Wheel
    Durango, CO 81303
    (970) 259-6130

5. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Caught in something they can't control? Sounds like the girls are getting the credit they deserve while these idiots are the ones who are caught in something "they can't control".

Talking about is has exposed these losers to be the crumudgeons they are.

As they continue their inflammatory statements in the press, the gloves will be truly off and their lives will be worse. Not only are they petty, callous people, but stupid as well.

6. Tdogg

Tdogg Member

Time to reap what you sew mr. and mrs. young. karmas a beach, and she is aiming stright for you two. I LUAGHED SOOOO LOUD WHEN I READ WHAT herb young SAID. WAAAA WAAAA.

7. synergy

synergy Member

karma is a b****...

8. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

They deserve every awful phone call, every dead rabbit on their door step. It is proof that no good deed goes unpunished.

9. superden

superden Contributing Member

are you serious? ARE YOU SERIOUS?! talk about trying to take advantage of a situation. people these days... i cant believe this at all. so what is your side of the story?

"so last night about 8:30 these two people knocked on my door, as you can see no one ever comes to visit me so it was a surprise to me. i saw these two shadows, of course i have a front light and a peephole to look through to see who is there but i felt like these two small shadowy figures were a threat to my life. i was so scared that i got so sick so i went to visit the doctor's and paid my copayment of $10. after taking the girls to small claims court, like a good, greedy, neighbor, i received $900. that is $890 profit from taking advantage of my neighbors. btw, the cookies were pretty good. thanks."