1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm off to France - Where would you go on your next vacation?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FranchiseBlade, Feb 13, 2005.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know that Rockets R Us is heading to Europe in March, and I'm headed to France for 2 weeks on Monday. There is also the all inclusive resorts site up, and a lot of folks seem to be travelling lately.

My top choice for travel would be either Vietnam, Indonesia or Thailand, but the price even post Tsunami just worked out that I could only afford France(we got a great deal on our flight). Only having a couple of weeks also played a part in the decision.

I'll be spending about 8 days in Paris, and several days in a small village in the Loire valley in the town near my favorite Chateau I've ever visited.

I love France and have been there several times, but not in the last ten years. I love French literature, history, etc. So it is very interesting for me to see historic sites where things I've read about, both fictional and non-fictional have occurred.

I was just curious to find out other folks ideal vacation spots, AS WELL as a more realistic back up vacation spot. Please list your ideal and more down to earth vacation choices.

2. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Nepal, Amsterdam, Scotland, or maybe Switzerland

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Have a great time, too bad the dollar has tanked this last 15 months, it is quite expensive over there but SOOO much history.

If you like WW2, take in Normandy....it will bring tears to your eyes.

DD

4. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Tossup between Francis Ford Copolla's place in Belize and a hike up the Inca Trail to Macchu Picchu.

5. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Australia, Switzerland, Germany, Spain, and Brazil.

6. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Going to Russia during the summer, Canada after that.

#6 LegendZ3, Feb 13, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  7. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Tokyo looks like it would be pretty fun.

8. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

As for something on my budget, Corpus Christi. Clear water - imagine that! ;)

9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I would like to go Italy or Germany. No money though.

10. synergy

synergy Member

Depending on whose side you were on...

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Xinjiang, Hong Kong, Ladakh, Rajahstan, Sikkim, Mumbai, Vietnam, Angkor Wat, Cambodia, Thailand.

That's my itinerary for June-December.

Which chateau? Chenonceau?

12. Yan_Yao

Yan_Yao Member

Shanghai, HongKong, or Macau.

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

It is Chenonceau indeed. There is a tree on the ground that one of the old residents and Rousseau(I believe) have carved their initials on, while Rousseau was tutoring the boy. I have walkd the grounds but haven't found the tree yet. I hope that this trip will be the time.

Both times I was there before it was summer time. I have no idea what the gardens will look like in the middle of winter.

Your itinerary is close to my ideal trip. I would love to take a big chunk of time and go to almost all those places you have named.

Have you made all the reservations already?

There are a couple of airlines that offer $999 fares that allow you to visit 20+ cities during the time that the ticket lasts. It's kind of like eurail pass that uses planes to fly around Asia.

There are two airlines that offer them, and they differ slightly. I think both of them require you to make reservations not through the actual airline.

I have severe wanderlust and even when I can't travel I'm planning various trips and trying to keep an eye out for deals. I don't know anybody that used the $999 flight pass deals, and so if you are using one I would be curious to find out how it works out for you.

14. micah1j

micah1j Member

Whoa! The only way Thailand, Indonesia or Vietnam are more expensive than France is.... I can't think of a way. Are you staying 5 Star all the way? Even taking into account the more expensive flight those places can be very cheap.

15. micah1j

micah1j Member

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The airfare is what makes it more expensive. The accomodations and food are definitely cheaper, but the airfare to France for two was still less than the airfare for one to either Thailand or Vietnam. Plus we have very budget accomodations in France, and steaked out some cheap eateries. Even that stuff isn't as cheap as accomodations and food would be in Thailand, but overall it was still cheaper to go France.

There is no way that we would stay in 5 star hotels anywhere we went at this point. Also like I said time played a factor as well.

Plus my wife wanted to go to France more than S.E. Asia, and by doing this I look like I am accomodating. And we are saving some money.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

My plans are very flexible but I've already got the big plane trip tickets (NYC-Beijing and Bangkok-NYC) booked, so it's just a question of picking up a few intermediate flights here and there (HK-Dehli, Dehli - Hanoi, etc)

It is indeed a big trip, in fact I'm quitting my job to do it - but screw it, I have worked hard over the last few years, too hard to continue wasting my time doing something I don't like- it's time to spend the money I made, and I'm not getting any younger.

I don't know if you've ever been there but my favorite chateau was Azay-le-Rideau. It doesn't have the historical significance of ones like Chambord or Blois, and it's much smaller than the rest, but it's a great spot. Worth the trip if you can make it.

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I wouldn't mind going back to London, but I really want to do an east-coast road trip - Boston, NYC, Philly, Washington DC (to see the Smithsonian).

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Every liberal's dream: To visit France. ;)

I despise long plane flights, so my dream vacations are places that are <3-4 hours flight. Mexican beaches and Vegas are always tops on my list.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would think it would not matter, just thinking about people on both sides who died fighting, just chokes you up.

DD