1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Al Franken to Announce Senate Intentions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by serious black, Feb 10, 2005.

1. serious black

serious black Contributing Member

Franken to announce Senate intentions today
    Rob Hotakainen, Star Tribune Washington Bureau Correspondent
    February 11, 2005 FRANKEN0211

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Radio-show host and comedian Al Franken intends to announce today whether he'll run for Minnesota's open U.S. Senate seat in 2006.

The seat is being vacated by Democrat Mark Dayton, who announced Wednesday that he will not seek election to a second term.

Franken's announcement comes as a number of other contenders emerged, including U.S. Rep. Mark Kennedy, R-Minn., who plans to announce his candidacy on Friday, sources close to Kennedy said.

Former Sen. Rod Grams, a Republican, said he is definitely running for the seat, but he said he will not make a formal announcement until later. State House Majority Leader Erik Paulsen, R-Eden Prairie, said he is seriously considering a run for the seat.

Franken plans to make an announcement on his radio show at 2:45 p.m. eastern time. His producer would not give any indication of what Franken will say, only that he made a decision.

"He's decided," said Billy Kimball, Franken's producer. "He's going to say what he decided today. But I can't preview it for you one way or the other."

Franken normally broadcasts his Air America talk show from New York, but he is in Washington today.

Franken, a Minnesota native, announced last year that he was considering running against Republican Sen. Norm Coleman in 2008.

On his radio show on Wednesday, Franken joked about the Dayton vacancy, discounting a possible run. Acknowledging that he had given some thought to a run in 2008, he said his responsibilities with his new radio show required his full attention and probably precluded a run for Dayton's empty seat.

Dayton withdrew from the race after he decided he would not be the best candidate for DFLers this year. He was having difficulty raising money, and his approval rating had declined to 43 percent in a Star Tribune Minnesota Poll.

Some analysts said his decision improves Democratic chances of keeping the seat.

"I do think this helps the Democrats," said Jennifer Duffy, the Senate editor of the Cook Political Report in Washington. "The field's going to be level for them. With Dayton in the race, it was tilted against them."

Dayton's popularity took a big hit when he decided to temporarily close his Washington office last fall, fearing a possible terrorist strike against the Capitol. Democrats and Republicans alike were shocked by Dayton's decision to leave Capitol Hill for good.

"Senator Dayton has surprised us in so many ways," said Rep. John Kline, R-Minn. "We were certainly all surprised when he was one of 535 members of Congress to shut his office down. I couldn't explain that, and I can't really explain this."

http://www.startribune.com/stories/484/5233496.html

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Will Minnesota elect another celeb? I thought Ventura left them with a bitter taste. Anyways, I'm listening now.

3. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Franken says he won't run for Dayton's Senate seat

FREDERIC J. FROMMER

Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Comedian and liberal talk show host Al Franken said he won't run for the U.S. Senate seat being vacated by Mark Dayton next year, saying he was committed to his radio show.

"I believe in honoring my commitments," Franken said Thursday. "I agreed to do two more years on Air America radio."

Franken, a veteran of "Saturday Night Live," was born in New York City and lives there now, but grew up in the suburbs of Minneapolis. He had talked about challenging Sen. Norm Coleman, R-Minn., in 2008, but Dayton's surprise departure gave him the chance to run earlier without challenging an incumbent Democrat.

He saved his announcement until the end of his three-hour radio show Thursday, and became emotional at the idea of following in what he called the "gigantic footsteps" of two other Minnesota senators, Hubert H. Humphrey and Paul Wellstone.

"I've done a lot of things in my life and I've been involved in politics in one way or another for a long time, even if it was writing comedy for SNL," Franken said. "And being involved in politics in a different way is something that I've been thinking about for a while."

Franken left open the possibility of a 2008 run, saying if he challenges Coleman he will move back to Minnesota.

Last year, Franken launched his show on the new liberal talk radio network Air America. It was originally called "The O'Franken Factor," to mock Fox News host Bill O'Reilly, but Franken changed it to the "The Al Franken Show" last summer.

Though Franken is out, plenty of other Democrats are thinking about the race. The list includes Minneapolis lawyer Mike Ciresi, Senate Majority Leader Dean Johnson of Willmar, state Sen. Steve Kelley of Hopkins, former U.S. Rep. Bill Luther, Hennepin County Attorney Amy Klobuchar, former public development official Rebecca Yanisch and former state Sen. Jerry Janezich. Ciresi, Kelley, Yanisch and Janezich all ran in 2000, when Dayton won the party's nomination.

Also Thursday, Rep. Mark Kennedy, R-Minn., a likely Senate candidate, scheduled a press conference Friday to discuss the race.link

4. serious black

serious black Contributing Member

That's a shame. I think it's high time we got some of our celebrities to run for something.
    As Michael Moore said, "Who wouldn't vote for Oprah? Who wouldn't vote for Tom Hanks?"

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Me

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Our country is now weakened as a result of this.

7. synergy

synergy Member

Even though I wanted Franken to run, I find it idiotic to vote someone in just because they are famous. Most of these ppl are so out of touch with the regular ppl it isnt even funny. Celebs and politics shouldnt mix.

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

How's that?