1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets: Can You Connect With Them?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LongTimeFan, Feb 10, 2005.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

A while ago, a poster made a comment that the problem with this Rockets team is that they coudln't connect with them on a personal level. They went on to talk about the championship years where everyone loved the Cassells, Horrys and Elies. He basically just said he felt like this Rockets group was a bunch of strangers and some went on to agree with him...

What about now?

Now it seems like people are starting to fall in love with this Rockets team, and starting to connect with our player's personalities. It seems like I haven't had this much fun being a Rocket's fan in a long time. Last year, we were at the exact same point as where we're at now, but things are different this year. You can feel the chemistry, confidence, and excitement coming from the players. You start reading quotes about how they joke with one another, you see it on the court and on the bench.

I for one absolutely LOVE this makeup of a team, and feel like I can finally, for once this year, connect with our players.

Though winning has a lot to do with it, so does the body language the Rockets exhibit. Watching Barry wave his towel and get up and down on every play while he's on the bench. Watching Mutumbo yell at the refs from the bench all game, or standup and clap for each play. Watching Sura fall down and scream foul every other play -- or watching him wave his arm and call BS after every foul called on him -- I love it, I love it, I love it. I think the best part is watching our two star players, and how they interact with everybody together. Everyone seems to get along and compliment each other's games, on and off the court.

I think the most notable and tell-all improvement this year has been JVG. It's pretty common knowledge this man is a straight arrow and calls it like he sees it -- but I don't remember him ever complimenting last year's team like he does this years. JVG has seem to really like this year's squad and think we can do some good things, and it's refreshing to hear that from him knowing what kind of coach he is.

Thank you Rockets, Thank you CD/Les/JVG.

2. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Great post, I couldnt say it any better...

3. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Winning cures all ills and I'm loving this team right now too.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

FIRE GUNDY!!! ;)

5. tothomas

tothomas Member

I'm not totally there yet. I want to connect with them, but I'm having some trouble. Its not their play. Its the fact that their is no veteran link to past Rocket glory type player still on the team. The Rockets have always had that in the past. Other than Yao Ming I've only known the other players for half a season. In addition, I'm not sure how long the other players will even be with the team. I beliive the team is better for all the trades, but they really changed the teams appeal for me. Not that I want to stop being a Rockets fan, or wish the team ill, its just that even though they're winning now, I just don't have the same emotional tie to the team I once had.

6. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

Trade YAO :p

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

AnotherB asked about connecting his CABLE to his computer... [hangout]

Can you please explain what sort of cable you would be needing...? I think someone will send you to FRY's or to MicroCenter... please elaborate...

8. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

Jon Barry had to have been the best trade we've made in years......this guy is solid. Great team player....dead on shooter....hell of a passer...hell, he's a BARRY. By far, my most favorite player on this team. With him.....I can relate to this team. I loved Francis, Cat and company.......loved them for their heart and fire. I love this team because of their wit and basketball IQ.

#8 sjackson0, Feb 10, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Bingo.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I can honestly say I am still not 100% connected

I like them . . they kewl
    but
    It is like the diffence between an adopted son
    and a son you watch grow up
    you love them both but. . . .one takes time after the fact

Other than Yao . . we have not watch them grow
    we are watching them grow together though

Rocket River

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I connect with any team that goes out on the floor and has the Rockets unis on, been true since 1980.

It's great to see this team start to gel and put together this impressive winning streak.

I think we are capable of being the "surprise" team of the 2nd half of the season to the nat'l media.

Just remember, gotta stick through it thru thick and thin.

12. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

The great thing is, win or lose, they're still entertaining games and that hasn't happened in years. :D

13. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

We'll probably have Tmac and Yao for at least the next 5-6 years...
    Tiiiiiiime is on our side :D

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think I'm one of the people you were referring to.

To answer your question. No, I don't really love any of our players except for maybe Yao and Tmac. I still don't really like JVG even though, I have to say that I was wrong about him adjusting. He is letting Tmac be Tmac and I see Yao slowly being put in the right game situations to succeed.

As well as Sura is playing, I don't really like him. I don't know why. Maybe its because he comes off as sort of a jackass or maybe I get frustrated because he ignores Yao sometimes even when he gets in position. I think he is having a hell of a season, and he one of the main reasons why we are winning.

But I think the main reason is because, besides Yao, no one started their career here and none of them by the end of the career will probably be remembered as a rocket unless we win a couple of championships with them.

Rudy
    Dream
    Cassell
    Horry
    Moses
    Cat
    Francis
    KT
    Hayes
    Calvin
    Drexler(UH and houston connection)

They all started their careers here. I love them like family even though they maybe somewhere else

You have guys like maxwell, elie, Chuckie Brown, Kenny Smith who spent the majority of their careers here and will always be remembered as rockets.

Then you had Rudy who spent his whole career minus a half season as a rocket.

They were family which I don't yet feel with this team. That may change but not because of few wins.

That being said. I am estatic about the way the Rocks are playing and will love them until the day I die.

15. buddry

buddry Member

I do not connect with the team at all. Its hard to when the team has had so much turnover.

16. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Winning is the obvious difference maker...

But you have to admit it is the heart of the team that means so much.

When you have chemistry and the type players we have it makes a connection for me.

Yao- gentle giant with a quiet fire- skill and determination
    TMac- quiet superstar- willing to do what it takes- can be superman at times but elevates everyone - quiet leader
    Howard- Man comes to work every day and busts tail, and knocks down shots and tries hard to do the little things
    Sura- Slightly out of control hard nosed, tough and aggressive- the enforcer
    Barry- Stand up leader, smart, gives it all- clutch
    Wesley- Mr. blue collar defender. relentless and can hit an open shot
    Padgett- You love Mr. Clutch City himself
    Mutombo- Another loveable giant who is giving every ounce of wiley veteran play in the paint
    Strickland- another sly veteran with a little spring left in the shoes.

Most of all this team is full of professionals, class veterans who put TEAM first. They give effort and heart.

We are a low turnover high assist team that executes most the time. We are only going to be beat by talent.

We aren't going to shoot ourselves in the foot over and over.

Sura's a little nasty, Yao has shown great determination to improve and if TMac catches fire this team is going to be a hard play for any team in the league.

If their heart overcomes their age and their smarts help prevent injuries and we stay focused and hungry I wouldn't bet against them in any 7 game series.

Van Gundy is an excellent playoff series coach.

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Everyone connects with a winner...Having said that, I connected with them b/f, but was just PO'd because they weren't playing to their potential...Please no bandwagoner's...

18. droxford

droxford Member

I think there are several things that contribute to this:

1. Time. It takes time for people to really 'connect' with the team. Sure, we knew tracy was great before he arrived. And he's still great. But have we, as fans, connected with him yet? With each day that goes by, we will connect with him more and more.

2. First impressions. Remember - Dream's first team was the Rockets. Cassell's first team was the Rockets. Because of this, we feel almost like family to them - as if we were the daddy standing there to hold them on the day they were born into the NBA. That kind of connection doesn't come as easily with a player that is traded to Rockets.

3. Team attitude. When the Rockets championship teams won our hearts, how often did they disagree with the coach's philosophy? They bought into the coach's plan 100% and they trusted each other on the court. You're seeing that more and more with our current team, as well.

4. Winning. As was stated before, when you lose, people dissect your team trying to figure out what's wrong and to cast blame. When you're winning, that doesn't happen.

-- droxford

19. PhiSlammaJamma

Barkley, Olajuwon, Drexler, Pippen, Francis, Yao, McGrady. Is there a better franchise in the the last 10 years as far as pure entertainment. This is as good as it gets.

20. jkg123

jkg123 Member

I, for one, love this team. All of the ball movement and shooting is very refreshing. Its a purer form of basketball...and I love it. Does Bobby Sura remind anyone of else of Mario Elie?? Toughness-wise???