1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Junior Man in the Firm

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Stone Cold Hakeem, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

I've been working for a Financial Planning firm in the Galleria for coming up on 2 years, first as an intern, now primarily as an IT project manager and consultant. I always thought at some point I would gain some ground here in terms of age but I am still the youngest full time employee here! Even the interns we hire are older than me (I am 24).

I know its not incredibly relevant but I consider myself to be fairly ambitious and am always concerned that my age will affect my credibility not only within the firm but with clients, as well as my advancement opportunities. I do not plan on getting an MBA any time soon as I have other ambitions (I will begin work on a master's in the fall in either economics or linguistics) but do plan on getting one eventually; however, I am beginning to realize this course of action my affect my career opportunities.

Anyways, any in the same boat as I?

2. Fatty FatBastard

The problem is that Financial Planners aren't hiring new advisor recruits, which would be the logical next step for you at the firm.

If you want to stay in IT, go elsewhere. If you want to be an advisor, make mention of it to your boss, and wait until they're hiring.

Gettin your 7 in the meantime would greatly improve your chances, and most firms will pay for it.