1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Comfortable Mattress?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Jan 28, 2005.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm looking to buy a new mattress this weekend and I'm wondering what some of the best ones out there are.

Any ideas?

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I've been wanting to buy one of those foam mattresses you see advertised. I checked one out at Fingers not too long ago and they are very comfortable. I have a Sealy Posturepedic right now (I have to be careful buying mattresses because I have a bad back). A Queen Size foam mattress at Fingers runs about a grand....definitely cheaper than Gallery and other places.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

"TO-DAY!"

or

Not mine, that's for sure... :mad:... ouch... my BACK...

4. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

I've always felt that a firm futon is the best for a bad back.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Those space foam deals are like a $1000 , right?

6. PhiSlammaJamma

One night here in DC, I saw a bouncer at a Matress shop door, and there was a line to get in. I'm not even sure what to make of that.

7. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Sealy Posturpedic with pillowtop....very nice.

8. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

King Koil.

good brand. but they don't advertise as much, so you may not have heard of them.

good quality.

9. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Yup

10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Westin hotels always make a big deal about their "Heavenly Bed". Well, the last time I stayed at a Westin, I pulled up the sheets and mattress cover and got to the bottom of it all. They use the Simmons Beautyrest pillowtop mattress. Simmons has the individual coils instead of the 'helix-linked' systems that you'll find in most other mattresses. I went out and bought a Simmons Beautyrest after this little discovery, although I wanted a little less cushion on top so I bought the plush instead of the pillowtop.

So far it's working out well. I have a platform bed, so there is no box spring. I don't like the support system on a platform as much as a box spring, so I'm considering purchasing the box or making some mods to the platform support structure. Anyone have any experience with adding support beams to a platform bed?

11. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

I bought a queen, plush top sealy post. at fingers 3 months ago for $750, with no interest for a year. Very nice purchase.

12. droxford

droxford Member

I, too, am in ther market for a new mattress.

My wife likes a very firm mattress, while I like a very soft mattress. I don't know how we're going to resolve this.

-- droxford

13. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

Uh, what's your Sleep Number? :)

14. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Careful about the pillowtops. I tend to sleep in the same spot, and they tend to make a depression if you do. Good thing was that they were guaranteed to not do that, so they gave us 100% credit for a new mattress after 3 years. After 1 year, the new 'improved' mattress did the same thing. :confused:

15. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

My parents returned theirs during the trial period.

16. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Eh, last summer we spent 2 grand on a really nice king size Simmons pillow top from Gallery. It's very comfortable, but I don't like the indentions that are left from where I lay every night. It's not like I'm that heavy (200 lbs) but it really caves which means you pretty much have to lay in the same spot every night. Maybe the mattress is just too soft.

17. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Hey Cohen, what kind of mattress do you have and where is it from? As I mentioned above, I have the exact same problem with my pillowtop. I wonder if Simmons has a guarantee like that.

18. buddry

buddry Member

I got a Serta Wellsford Eurotop, which is the new version of the pillowtop that is not supposed to leave depressions. Only had it for 2.5 months so I can't tell you about the depressions yet, but its guaranteed not to do it.

I really like the mattress. I always wanted a Tempurpedic but I can't really afford it, and I heard that it can be really to lay on, especially in the summer.

19. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

I have a Sealy pillow-top too. I flip it over every 6 months, and haven't noticed any permanent depressions... and it's about 5 years old.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

We sell the Sealy Posturpedics where I work

Like laying on a ****in' cloud.