1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is McGrady the 2nd Best Rocket Ever?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dandorotik, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

I'll say this: Mcgrady has the prettiest jump shot of any Rocket player I've ever seen.

Mcgrady is getting near Hakeem status in the sense that I expect him to score plus 25 everynight. He scores 30 again, ho hum, another day at the office for the guy.

I can't wait to see how he performs in the playoffs.

By the end of the year, he may just be thought of as the second best Rocket ever.

2. xcharged

xcharged Member

Definately NOT....

3. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Elie will never show up on any list but "the kiss of death" may be the greatest Rocket moment ever.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I agree with this. If he keeps playing like this...and steps it up in the postseason...he'll be the 2nd greatest Rocket in my mind.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Ahead of 2 time MVP Moses "Fo, Fo, Fo, Fo" Malone?

6. MadMax

unfortunately, i didn't get to see enough of moses malone. you're right...he probably won't supplant a guy who won 2 MVP's this year alone.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Actually it was 3 time MVP and it was "Fo, fo, fo"

8. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

ummm.. all time great rocket?

I would figure they would need to be a Rox longer than a few years.

Is there a chance he could become the greatest no doubt. Will he probably not, but he will definately finish in the top three.

Yao also has a chance to be in the top three if he can develop some consistency.

J

9. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I agree.

Interesting that was the time we changed from Choke City to Clutch City.

10. MadMax

no it wasn't. he hit that shot in 95. we got the Clutch City name after the Chronicle ran a story with a headline of Choke City after the first two games in Houston in 94 where we blew huge leads to the Suns and fell behind 2-0. we came back and took 2 in Phoenix...Kenny Smith and others wrote Choke City on their shoes for those games. they ran the Clutch City tag the next day.

11. serious black

serious black Contributing Member

I became a Rockets fan in the championship years. Until we win again, everyone follows these guys.

1. Dream
    2. Cassell
    3. Elie
    4. Horry
    5. Maxwell
    6. OT
    7. Drexler
    8. Chucky Brown
    9. Rudy T (as a coach, not a player)
    10. Kenny Smith

I'd like to put historical Rockets on there but honestly, I haven't seen them play.
    To me, Calvin is a commentator and baton twilrer, Moses is a guy I'd see on posters (beautiful poster- with Moses holding a staff or maybe tablets and standing on a mountain of basketballs), Rudy as a coach and Hayes as a yellow cab spokesperson.

12. jherveymo

jherveymo Contributing Member

Second best ever? Way too early to tell. I don't know if you can judge him vs. those guys until he finishes his career. Is he one of the top talents we have ever aquired? Without doubt. He has to be way up that list.

13. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

In the end I will predict-

TMac (whoaaaa - what if we get 4 rings???)
    Hakeem (I know, I know, but if TMac brings 3 or 4 or 5 WOW)
    Moses
    Rudy

Those should end up the top 4 anyway!

14. Toast

Toast Member

He hasn't even played half a season in a Rockets jersey yet.

Let's bump this thread in six years and then we can talk.

15. Lionheart

Lionheart Member

Moses is underrated.

But Dominique? I think NOT. I think he was and is overrated if anything. Most of his points came from DUNKS and LAYUPS. Dominique is almost like AI, both extremely ATHLETIC. They scored lots of points because they were High Volume Shooters. Meaning that they took like 40% of the teams field Goal average. We could also say that T-Mac is a high volume shooter. T-Macs been averaging like what these past 20 games? 30-35 field Goal attempts? But then again, the greats ones takes most of the shots in a game. I aint complaining.

So yeah, I think DOMINIQUE is way overrated. Just as CLYED "da glyde" Drexler. Drexler shouldnt have been on the first "50 greatest list" in my opionion.

16. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Sorry to disagree, but Clyde was most definitely worthy of being on that list. Matter of fact, most put him within the top 30, much less the top 50. Scoring, rebounding, assists, steals, led his team to 2 NBA Finals appearances, multi-year All-Star, won a championship in 1995

I don't understand that one at all. If you want to talk Robert Parish or Bill Walton, fine. But Clyde not top 50??????????????

17. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

OK- to change pace, let me rephrase:

Is McGrady the 2nd most talented player to don a Rockets uniform? I would say he's top 10.

18. Lionheart

Lionheart Member

TOP 30? Are you trying to be Funny here? IN what FAiry Tale is CLyde in the top 30's of the greatest that has ever played the game?

When the LIST came out in the 90's, lots of people made arguments whether he was deserving enough to on that list.

Maybe top 75 of the greatest of all time, but DEFINITELY NOT the top 50. But then again its POINTLESS arguing with HOMERS on this board.

I have 3 things going against me, when arguing about CLYED on the 50 greatest list.

1) this is a ROCKETS fan board.
    2) CLyed played College ball in the state of Texas(Houston).
    3) CLyed played for the Rockets in his last days.

I dont even think that the ROckets should have retired his #. He played what? 2 Freaken years for the Rockets? They mind as well retire's SF jersey also because he plaayed 5 years for us.

19. jherveymo

jherveymo Contributing Member

Well, I always thought that 50 greatest thing was pretty dumb anyway. There were several questionable players in that group. As far as Clyde is concerned, 22000+ career points and averages of 20 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists puts him in fairly rare company. I'd say if Pippen deserved to be on there then Clyde did.

20. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

well Lionheart, you did put Sabonis ahead of Hakeem so it's kinda hard to respect anything you say after that point.

40% of a team's FGA's, 30-35 fga for tmac the last 20 games? wanna actually state some correct facts or just keep pulling them out of your ass?