1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans: ESPN praising Andre

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by kaleidosky, Jan 26, 2005.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

We already have a good idea of this, but gotta love hearing it from ESPN. This is from Insider (Mort) amidst an Article about Randy Moss:

"Physically, Owens and Moss are the two most gifted receivers in the NFL, although the Texans' Andre Johnson is closing the gap."

I knew he was good. Didn't know the NFL in general perceived him to be THAT good. I mean, TO and Randy are really on another level from every other receiver in the NFL. But when I start thinking about it, how many other talented receivers have the physical attributes and skills that AJ does? I'd say Roy Williams is it (potentially), aside from the aformentioned elite 2. Harrison doesn't have the physique/size, Burress isn't quite as skilled, Muhammad not as athletic and has lost a bit with age.

You guys got anyone I'm leavnig out?

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

AJ is great... too bad our crappy offensive line doesn't give him a chance to showcase his skills.

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I'd take AJ over Owens and Moss any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Obviously he's younger and he could easily turn into an all time great, but other than that it comes down to character. AJ is dedicated, has a great work ethic and is humble. You'll (hopefully) never see him act like those two aforememntioned primadonna, attention w**** a$$clowns.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Owens and Harrison are the only guys I'd even consider being better than Andre.

Moss is somewhat overrated. He is not successful going over the middle, which is a key to a great receiver. All Moss has is his speed and jumping, which can be dealt with by double teams.

5. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

You mean, too bad Carr is more worried about his numbers.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Too bad Carr refuses to throw it to him on a deep pattern.

DD

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Owens might be a primadonna, but there's no doubt he's extremely dedicated and works hard at what he does. Just because he's a dick doesn't mean he has no work ethic.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

WTF? Where are you in the world that you haven't seen the TEXANS' games? :mad:

Check out the YardsPerCatch average:

YEAR TEAM G GS REC YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST
    2003 HOU 16 16 66 976 14.8 46 4 45 0 0
    2004 HOU 16 16 79 1142 14.5 54 6 53 1 1
    CAREER 32 -- 145 2118 14.6 54 10 98 1 1

jk about that :mad: <- smileytext

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Actually, you have to watch Texans games to realize how deceptive Johnson's YPC numbers are. He leads the NFL in yards-after-catch.

I don't blame Carr for not throwing to the guy deep, because he rarely gets the time. Every time I look at how long QBs like Culpepper or McNabb gets to sit comfortably in the pocket, waiting for their star receivers to get open, I curse at our horrible o-line.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah..particularly watching the Eagles. McNabb has ALL FREAKING DAY!!! Not taking anything away from him, because he still makes the throw. He's a great QB. But I wish Carr had that kind of time. Or even half that time.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Fair point about time to throw, but most of Johnson's catches come on that WR screen pass, that he turns into 14 yards a pop.

Imagine what he could do if he caught it on a crossing pattern or a flly?

DD

12. kaleidosky

I disagree on Moss. You don't *need* to go over the middle to be a great receiver. The only example you need is Moss...self-serving argument, but I feel I can use it precisely because you CAN'T deal with his speed and jumping with double teams. It hasn't worked. You see him score on 2 guys by outrunning both, but outjumping both, etc. He can occasionally go over the middle and runs the hitch/out decently.

13. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

but with Moss, you also have a receiver that could be detrimental to his whole team. Just like TO was last year, Moss is going to get his chance to turn his character around. All it takes is one good season to turn around his image. The entire NFL was focused on that Pitts/Philly game this year, chking if TO will snap after one loss. He reacted, but not to the point where it could really hurt his team; either that or McNabb played it off cool.

But to have a guy like AJ, with his ability and attitude, I can see the Texans being a better team with him than either of the fore-mentioned. He's also young, tough, and he knows his place. The Texans is all about controlling the line from here on out. If they can give Carr more time with the O-line and more pressure with the D-line, then the Texans could very well become a great team.

14. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Still not alot of praise for Dunta Robinson huh. Chris McAllister is hurt (foot) and will not play in the Pro Bowl so Patrick Surtain is taking his place.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

It's Moss and TO and then everyone else. Chad Johnson is almost there, the other young bucks need a couple more seasons.

16. kaleidosky

Thanks, I forgot about Chad. I agree the AJ isn't quite on their level yet. Maybe next season.

(though I would rather have AJ with his age and potential and work-ethic...but straight up current status, I don't think he's there yet)

17. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

you COFs needs to STFU!

AJ owns you!!