1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, Im on the F-Atkins diet....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Gummi Clutch, Jan 24, 2005.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Using your bodies natural process is lazy?

Intersting.

DD

2. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

By natural process you mean getting on an unhealthy yo-yo diet whose founder died of heart disease himself? Being in ketosis 24-7 is "a natural process?"

The only people I have ever met who get on Atkins are people who refuse to change their unhealthy lifestyles, want to continue shoveling loads of meats & fats down their gullets without having to move from the couch, but yet decry their ****** state. Maybe you are somehow the exception to the rule. Someone who does Atkins just as a kickstart & then actually changes their lifestyle generally to be healthier. Maybe.

Atkins is a "lose weight quick" solution for America's lazy masses.
    The second you even remotely begin to start eating like a normal human - and Americans generally don't eat "normal" anymore - you gain the weight back. People want instant gratification and of all the fad diets out there Atkins provides this better than others.

God forbid people actually get up and try jogging or swimming or playing some hoops every day. God forbid they start mixing in some greens, cutting the colas, cutting the fats, cutting the burgers & sausages. God forbid people quit supersizing & actually try to eat portions that their stomachs were designed to handle...

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You know diabetics have to eat this way. They have no choice.

I have been on Atkins Diet for 8 months now. I have been in maintenance for 5 months and probably on average eat 40g of carbs a day. Best decision I ever made. No more riding the blood sugar roller coaster. No more sweet tooth. Its all good.

BTW there are other low carb diets : Sugar Busters, South Beach, Body for Life, ... Atkins is a better diet to lose weight on, while the others are better for maintenance.

4. Rocket G

Most Americans are not diabetic (they are just headed that way).

There is no need for them to even BE on this diet if they actually bother to use some common sense while eating, and get off their lazy asses and mix in a jog every now & then.

So Atkins is the best for losing weight, but the others are better for maintaining? So why not do the others from the beginning? Is there anything healthy about crash-weight-loss? Do you switch to South Beach after a few months?

Here's a novel idea - lose weight & "maintain" at the same time! Try the don't eat like a sow & exercise diet!

5. No Worries

You really do not know what you are talking about.

Atkins heart disease preceded his diet. Atkins had a heart attack and then went on his diet for 30+ years before dying.

3000+ years ago man lived on this diet, but that must have "unnatural" since there were no MacDonalds with supersized value meals, right?

People who go into Atkins' maintenance do not yo-yo.

Atkins Diet does not preclude exercise. He even suggests it. But he also realizes people who weigh 400+ pounds can't exercise (or at least have exercise be the cornerstone of their weight lose program).

Carry on.

6. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Tried Atkins. It worked, but any diet works if it reduces calories. I went from eating two slices of turkey instead of a turkey sandwich. I never knew that the majority of the calories was in the bread. The DMN did a study of Atkins, weight watchers, Jenny Craig, etc. They all worked, and strangely enough, dieters consumed fewer calories per day then before. Calories in versus calories out. Atkins just gives you a solid/strict guideline. It works if you've got great will power.

7. No Worries

Smartest thing you have said so far. People who are overweight (1/3 of Americans are 25+% overweight or some such) are way more likely to become Type 2 Diabetics. If you want some sober reading, read about what diabetes does to the body.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

They must've been dropping like flies before Atkins then. :D

9. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Approx 3 years ago I simply changed the way I ate and excercised. I needed to lose about 15 lbs and I couldnt diet, I just didnt have the will power to stay away from certain food groups. I started slowly eating more fruits and veggies and switched to all grain breads, pastas and cereal. I then started switching from fattier red meats to poultry and fish and from white flour products to whole wheat flour products. I lost my weight in 8 months and have been eating better and excercising ever since and havent gained any weight back.

IMO it just doesnt seem healthy to do the Atkins diet, but to each his own and if thats what works for you more power to you.

10. No Worries

Atkins Diet suggests that you eat as much as you want, as long as you stay within the plan. The fact that people end up eating less is because their blood sugar levels are very well behaved.

11. No Worries

South Beach emphasizes avoiding Bad Carbs (high GI carbs) and Bad Fats. People usually lose weight at a slower rate on South Beach viz-a-viz Atkins due to the higher amount of carb intake. South Beach is less carb restrictive and makes a better maintenance diet.

Atkins Diet does not require/recommend that you eat meats with high saturated fats, but does not preclude it. Food with loaded with Bad Fat tastes great and Atkins says that by eating this types of food the dieter can treat themselves while dieting. Allowing Bad Fats makes getting to the maintenance weight easier, which is the goal. Once at the maintenance weight, Atkins Diet is less restrictive and more targeted at being livable.

12. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I wish you the best of luck. If you're on Adkins, keep an eye on your cholesterol.

I think Jeff has the best diet. The thing about low carb diets is that it has you freaking out over nutrient facts. If you can add a little exercise, eating in moderation.

Example:

Breakfast: No meat, high grain/bran for fiber and some fruit. Bananas are the best.

Lunch: Sandwich (turkey, chicken) on wheat with no/low fat mayo, or mustard (I love mustard). As a side eat some raw veggies.

Dinner: Salad with low fat dressing. 1 true serving of meat, fill up the rest on vegetables. Throw in a whole wheat dinner roll for filler as well.

Snacking on triskets and skinny cow cheese is a good snack.

The key to all of this is moderation. If you want to dramatically go one step further then span you meals to 6 a day. You can then incorporate some carbs as long as it's natural, you're budy will metabolize it into glucose, which will then convert to energy.

You could always add juicing as well. Good way to absorb pure vitamins. I have an Omega Juicer that works well. I also take a multi-vitamin along with C (Immune), E (healthy cell walls), B3 (lowers cholesterol), B50 (Energy + other advantages), Q10 (Circulatory), Omega 3/6/9 (A lot of benefits, helps meaintain proper metabolism and improves good cholesterol), Amino Acids (Healthy Protein metabolism + other great benefits). Costs on average of 50 bucks a month, but I feel great.

Good luck, but do everything in moderation adn above all - keep it fun or else you'll burn out.

13. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Vitamin B-1 will speed carbohydrate metabolism.

Not that you need that now, meatboy, just FYI.

14. buddry

buddry Member

Actually, he slipped on some ice and hit his head on the concrete. I don't know how heart disease caused him to slip.

15. Rocket G

Atkins died of heart disease, so I guess that 30+ years didn't help did it?

3000+ years ago men lived to be about 40 years old - THE ALSO HAD TO WALK EVERYWHERE. Please don't use our ancestors as models of nutritional efficiency.

400+ pound people CAN and SHOULD exercise. I'm not talking about them running 5 miles, but even if they can walk for 15 minutes or swim manatee-like in pool for a laps, it is better than them sitting at home & shoveling steak & sausage downt here throat 5 times a day on Atkins weight-loss phase.

16. buddry

buddry Member

17. Rocket G

As for the circumstances surrounding Dr. Atkins cause of death this makes for some interesting reading:

NY Times

18. Rocket G

buddry,

Read the NY Times article as well. They actually include statements by people not on his payroll.

19. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

My Dad loved going to Trader Joes with me when I lived in LA and he would visit. If they opened one in Houston, he would be there every other day. He even wrote a letter to Trader Joe's management begging them to open one in Houston.

20. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

I'm practically on Atkins, being Diabetic (Type I). I was on shots for a couple years and got used to regulating my diet and avoiding carbs and now that I'm on an insulin pump and technically could be a bit more liberal about my eating choices, I find myself avoiding carbs anyways. I've never been heavy, but I think I've actually gotten HEALTHIER since being diagnosed.

However, I personally beleive the only tried and true weight loss solution is regular exercise. I don't do as much aerobic exercise as I probably should, but by lifting regularly, I've maintained a healthy blood A1C (blood sugar) and managed to hover around 190 lbs with very little body fat. I lifted regularly before being diagnosed, but this is something my doctor has preached I continue to do daily as it helps keep my metabolism up and my body running efficiently.

On another personal note, although diabetes is manageable, if you don't have it -- please get yourself healthy and way the hell out of its path. Healthy as I've kept myself, its caused bouts of severe depression (which I never had prior) and is slowly taking my eyesight :eek:(