1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao: "They wanted me to pass the ball, but I didn't."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by choujie, Jan 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. choujie

choujie Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2005-01-23/13501367099.shtml

Nothing really interesting except this quote at the end of the article about the Yao's basket when Rockets trailed by 3:

"They wanted me to pass the ball. But I didn't. Instead, I wanted to shoot. I was hot and I had good position, why should I pass out? "

If this is true, I wonder who are "they"? Yao averaged only 10 shots while shooting 66% in the past 5 games and "they" still want Yao to pass instead of shooting?

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Uh, Yao's shooting 61.5%, not 66%.

As for the passing...
    Yao has 1 assist and 10 turnovers in the past 5 games. 0 assists in the last 4 games.

Clearly we're forcing Yao to pass the ball. :rolleyes:

3. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

maybe it was this guy
    [​IMG]

seriously, this is why people get labeled YOFs and get resentment from posters on this BBS - you're reading too much into a transated quote from a secondary source - Tmac or someone may have just been open and calling for the ball - there is no phantom resistance to Yao that wanted to keep him down by forcing him to pass the ball -

... I am also sure that "they" also wanted someone besides Padge to take the last shot, but as demonstrated... "they" can be wrong

:rolleyes:

PS I will bet this thing goes 4 pages at least

4. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

On the radio after the NY game, Tracy Mcgrady said 'Yao does not shoot enough when he gets the ball, and he wants him to shoot the ball everytime"

Just wanted to throw that out there....

5. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Thats good...

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

[​IMG]

#6 SamFisher, Jan 23, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  7. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

This is what I've been saying all along. No one can deny Yao the ball except himself. I don't care who "they" are. If Yao finally decides to be aggressive with everyone (including his teammates) and demands the ball, who in the Rox organization will deny him the ball??? No one.

Don't read too much into the quote.

8. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Man... if only Yao weren't so turnover prone.

9. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Guys need to stop whining about Yao's TOs every time. ;)
    The low post is packed and very easy to get TOs. I have seen
    many Yao-ish TOs from Shaq and Duncan. Yao's TO numbers
    are normal for a star center.

10. brush

brush Contributing Member

No need to argue about who are they. Why don't we just focus on the good part. If Yao really starts to be vocal in the team and make his own judgement on plays, it is a bless for Rockets. This is what we want all along, right? :)

Everyone has his own opinion on who has the best position to shoot, and he is supposed to let his teammates know. This is communication, nothing personal. Yao made a good judgement not to pass, and helped to win the game. Hopefully, he can make more good judgment in the future, and no one will call him robot and complain Yao not taking responsibility at critical time.

Good play, Yao!

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

No way dude.

[​IMG]

12. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Good he's using "they", already doin a me against the world type thing. I live for the day he refers ot himself in the third person.

Reporter: So how was your game tonight Yao?

Yao: Yao Ming did ok tonight, they was wrestling Yao, trying to shut him down, but you cant keep Yao down. I'm a soldiah, I'm a soldiah!!

13. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Thanks for bringing this to our knowledge. Kudos to Mac the emerging team leader.

"They" in this case means his defenders, the New York Knicks, arround him then (imho). If you look at the video again, you will notice that they doubled teamed (or were in the act of) him trying to force him to give up the ball if I recall correctly but he stepped up and took the shot because he understood that he was having a good game apparently.

That is the reasonable deduction. If it was a called play to dish out to his tema mate he would have done so or better yet said so. "They" once again refers to the Knicks.

14. michellexiao

michellexiao Contributing Member

He meant Sura, i guess:

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2005-01-22/11461365558.shtml

Sura refused Yao's help there.

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

That makes much more sense than the alternative notion....good logic Fegwu

Im glad to see you were indeed worthy of being taken off the IL. ;)

16. choujie

choujie Member

Fagwu, if you understand Chinese, you'll see Yao didn't mean Knicks, and it sounds like unhappy tone to me.

Well, it could be me reading too much into it, or the repoter didn't write down what Yao really meant. I hope that's the case.

17. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

18. Lionheart

Lionheart Member

This could be INTERESTING. I like it when the BIG-GUY opens up and speaks his mind. This is a positive sign if you ask my opionion. If anything is bothering Yao, I hope he speaks out more often. Instead of giving us the "CONFUSCIOUS" crap.

19. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

To me, it's a win-win situation. Whether "they" are the Knicks or his teammates, it could only mean Yao is getting more assertive.:cool:

20. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

just stop it ... please - its this kind of stuff is what gets people called YOFs and flamed by the entire BBS !!!

"sounds" like an unhappy tone... how can you READ (i.e. SEE) a quote and tell exactly how the tone is - and moreover, how do you know whether it was the Knicks or the Rockets he was talking about !!! -

Why are you creating issues... do you want Yao traded to your hometown team... ?

I don't know Chinese, but I know that the poster was using English, so there is much that could have been LOST IN the TRANSLATION

[​IMG]