1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Public Enemy #1] Bob Sura?????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by codell, Jan 21, 2005.

1. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Sura is a good option, but with one leg, he's not going to last all season, and that's a fact...I admire his heart, but with the injury, he's too inconsistent...

2. hangxy

hangxy Member

Then ROX is going to nowhere

3. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I think most of the people who are defending Sura are not saying they think he is the best PG the Rockets could possibly have. What they are saying is that he is the best option we have on the team we currently have assembled.

It's just that in last nights game thread there was a lot of Sura bashing. Also this past week there have been a lot of accusations that Sura has been "freezing" Yao out. The 1st two assist Sura picked up last night went to Yao. I just get annoyed when I see people accusing him of purposely not trying to pass the ball to Yao when I can see in the games that its not true. I don't mean to single out you out Zhao1109, because you have been willing to discuss Sura's play at least. But there are other people on this BBS who just bash the guy for no reason except maybe their own agenda.

4. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

I watched the entire Rockets vs Grizzilies game. Sura made ZERO passes to Yao in the whole game, while Yao had very good position several times. The last two games Sura DID pass to Yao. JVG must told him to do so. Getting ZERO passes from your point guard while you have the position was getting rediculous.

5. Chilly_Pete

Dude early in the game I saw Sura pass the ball to Yao for easy baskets.

In fact if you look in the game thread you will see where I posted it.

Edit: I thought you were talking about last nights game. I can't remember the Grizzlies game very well. Actually its a game I would like to forget.

#105 Chilly_Pete, Jan 21, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

SUra is da man! So happy we have him. :cool:

8. DollarBill

DollarBill Contributing Member

The title of this thread is quite misleading. Since when Bob has become public enemy#1? From what I have seen and heard, the vast majority of people on this bbs love bob. Then, the guy brought race into it. That's just wrong. If u had problems with those few bob bashers or whatever, deal with 'em. Saying all people who dislike bob are Chinese, and these same people would love bob if he were chinese is just plainly immature.

Moreover, it seems to me that people can get away with anything when it comes to criticising Yao. But when it's time to defend Yao, people are just afraid of voicing their opinions for fear that being labeled as YOF. That makes you wonder what the hell is going on over here. What's worse, some posters here just assume that all Chinese fans are YOFs, which is not true at all. So please, don't bring race into YOFs bashing parties.

9. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Why not Yao?

Either way, that's not Sura's fault, now is it?

10. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I do, it's the one where he was owned Stromile Swift. He allowed Swift to front him all night. Kerr was wondering why the Magic weren't employing the same tactic last night since it had been so effective at shutting down Yao.

11. Chilly_Pete

Well I meant I can't remember every single possession and if on any of those possessions whether or not Sura passed the ball to Yao. Frankly I wish it would become a non issue, because I am tired of talking about it. :)

#111 Chilly_Pete, Jan 21, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

As long as Sura plays with fire and energy, I have no beef with him at all.

This guy has brought everything we needed to the court and done it on a wooden leg. Is he the best PG we could have, no but he great for now.

I personally think Sura is this year's Jim Jackson, veteran who goes off for a career year.

I just hope his knee doesn't fall apart anytime soon.

P.S. my wife nick named him "Pato" translated from spanish meaning Duck, cause she thinks he looks like a duck....

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Sura is not optimal, but you cant question the fire he brings each nigt to a team that often is lifeless in terms of energy.

I mean last night Sura had 11 rebounds. Second to that was Mutombo with 7 boards in 14 minutes and then after that was Yao with 6 boards.

Does anyone find it slightly disturbing that our PG who has a bum knee is the leading rebounder...and leading rebounder by a WIDE margin? I mean WTF?

Sura is to this team what JJ was to the Rockets last year. I vital role player cog in our team.

Ultimately we need to get a traditional PG but at least for now we have Sura. And if nothing else they guy throws himself all over the court and competes hard dispite the fact he is injured.

14. Lionheart

Lionheart Member

I LOVE Sura, but he just doesnt play consistent enough day in & day out. He has spirts every now and then, but thats it.

Who are we DEVELOPING? YAO or SURA? Where is Sura gonna be in about 2-3 years from now? And where is YAO gonna be?

Its quite obviously that YAO is a SLUMP. We need to get his CONFIDENCE level back to where is should be. Wherever that is. So, the more touches the better. Besides we need to keep Yao involved in the offensive side of the game. So many times, Have I him seen just basically running up and down the court like he's invisible out there. PASS THE BIG MAN THE BALL MORE OFTEN.

15. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Hear, hear.

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:rolleyes:

What a loser mentality.

No wonder you don't like Sura. He plays to win.

Food for thought:
    1.) The last time the Rockets won a championship, they were the #6 seed.
    2.) Jeff Van Gundy took a #8 seed to the NBA finals.
    3.) We are 2-0 against the best team in the NBA.
    4.) We a currently going to make the playoffs, and will only get better.

Yep, now's a great time to give up.

17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I would say that Yao is working out of his slump over the last two games.

18. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

I like Bob Sura, he really put in a great season last year with the Atlanta Hawks. Given, I didn't expect much from him this season, but there is something about players that seem to be full of spirit and give effort that really wins me over.

I believe the guy has exceeded most peoples' expectations.

Sure, I would love him to be more athletic, better defensively, and a much more consistent shooter, but shoot, we got the guy for Tyronn Lue. Sura's put together some great games and really helps in the rebounding and competitive department.

Stuart

19. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Not.

20. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

When did I bring race into it? I said race is not important -- did you actually read any of my posts? Are you accussing me of that? Read my posts -- I explicitly wrote that the whole YOF and race thing is ridiculous.