1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Grizzlies 1/17/2005

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 16, 2005.

1. jelanit

jelanit Contributing Member

We'll be fine if we can rotate on defense much quicker. And, is it necessary to double the ball all the time when your man is hot from downtown? Methinks not.

2. Charvo

Charvo Member

This fronting defense is the plague on Yao. It is the disease for which Yao has no cure.

3. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

unless you have herpes.

4. jacago

jacago Member

As long as rox win, we don't need to care about Yao's involvement/development? Then trade Yao pls. As a player, Yao should find a system that can fully develop/utilize his potential.

5. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

Please allow me to correct myself ...

Yao is C3PO, with C3PO-like reflexes.

[​IMG]

I'm rooting for him, but man, his every move is just SO mechanical.

Until he learns (if he learns) how to use instincts instead of C3PO mechanics, he's effed.

6. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

thats JVG's fault remember

7. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

It's clear that he's only going through the motions. He is not
    playing his own game.

You would lost your instinct too if you are forced to play a very
    different game.

8. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

Fronting defenses require quicker passes or high passes over the defender, which Barry pulled off in that Spurs game. Admittedly, he tried the pass one time but it worked.

Yao can only seal off his man for brief moments so the passes have to be quick. Good things usually happen when they're made. However, all these points are irrelevant since Yao is a role player and his teammates don't make efforts to give him quick passes. The effectively Yao-less rockets are winning though, so getting Yao involved is apparently not necessary. Let's see how this formula works in the playoffs. Too bad Yao was signed for next year - I forsee that being miserable for both Yao and the organization.

9. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

exactly its JVG

10. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Yao hit his first jump shot tonight. That's been a rarity this year. We should try to get him more of those shots with the pick and roll.

11. exiaol

exiaol Contributing Member

A back-pick could free Yao from fronting. Just like Jazz did to free Malone. I wonder why JVG never try that.

12. snowmt01

Most likely scenario, Yao declines the extension and Rox has to
    trade him to a team of his choice to get fair value.

13. ToothYanker

What on earth are you talking about? Are you arguing with yourself or was that directed at someone in particular? Just wonderin'

14. snowmt01

dont be so cynical. It's the truth: he is not playing his own game.

15. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Nash has been out and Pheonix lost 4 in the row! Does it mean that Stoudermire can still be the most dominant center in the West without Nash?:rolleyes:

Close your eyes for 1 second and imagine Yao is playing with Nash and the stupid, bigoted, blind, freaking refs are actually treat Yao like a star. Hey I can dream can't I?

16. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

He has a radio show. Call in and ask him.

17. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

I really think Yao should take the current situation more seriously. He has to figure out a way to be more efficient, aggressive, and play a controlled defense. He can talk to his coach, teammates, anyone, maybe seeking some consulting. I don't think he would just ask for trade or anything like that, the kid has too much pride. If he quit here, because things get rough, how can you expect him to success somewhere else? That's really harmful to one's confidence. You quit once, you will find the easy way out next time as well. If you want to be great, you can't do it on a championship team; you have to earn it and grow from a mediocre team.

No doubt about it, all players have kinds of slumps in their careers, especially in the beginning. Yao is no exception. This is time to show the true color. He has to figure out by himself. Meanwhile, I think we fans, the ones who want to see him prosper with the Rockets, should be more patient. New post discussing whether he should be traded or traded for whom every 5 minutes is driving me nuts as well. Let's stop the same talk for a single day.

18. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

do fratello and gasol have the same hair colorist, or is it just my TV?

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

oh well...just got kicked out of chat for telling swiftfacialyao "gooo rox!! stfu swiftluvsfacials!!!"

20. ToothYanker

real_egal, I hate to break it to you but Yao's in his 3rd year. It's hardly the beginning of his career anymore. He gets officiated VERY badly, but often times he doesn't bring any energy either. To top it off, his biggest weakness is that he's too nice on the court. People treate him bad, embarass him, don't show him respect, don't pass to him, etc etc and he does nothing about it. That's his fault and he needs to grow up. All in all, I guess what I'm trying to say is that Yao isn't helping the rockets at this point and the rockets (except TMac who does try to get Yao involved) have turned their backs on him. Not a good recipe for success.