1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Leinart will return to U.S.C

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kilgore Trout, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Can say i understand this one.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1964834

LOS ANGELES -- Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Matt Leinart has decided to play his senior season at Southern California and try to lead the Trojans to an unprecedented third straight national championship.

"I realized the opportunity right now to support my family by going to the NFL early, but to me I think college football and this whole atmosphere here and being with my friends and my teammates ... is ultimately more satisfying and will make me happier than any amount of money could make someone happy," Leinart said.

Leinart announced his decision Friday, opting to complete his eligibility rather than enter the NFL draft, where he figured to be one of the top selections and become an instant millionaire.

There was a roar of approval from a crowd of about 500 students and fans jammed into the foyer at Heritage Hall to hear the quarterback's decision.

"I'm smiling," a beaming coach Pete Carroll said after Leinart's announcement.

Leinart has made clear for months his desire to stay in school. He said last August he would definitely return because he loved playing for the Trojans, he needed to get stronger physically and make other improvements.

More recently, he said he was leaning toward returning but would investigate his options.

In the end, Leinart decided the risk of serious injury or a sub-par performance next season was less important than following his heart and enjoying college for another year.

Leinart consulted coaches, friends, teammates, NFL quarterbacks Carson Palmer and Ben Roethlisberger and his parents before announcing his decision.

A 6-foot-5, 225-pound left-hander, Leinart was a third-year sophomore who hadn't thrown a pass for the Trojans when he succeeded Palmer, another Heisman Trophy winner, as USC's quarterback 16½ months ago.

The Trojans have a 25-1 record with Leinart at the controls -- including 13-0 this season. He capped the year by passing for 332 yards and an Orange Bowl-record five touchdowns in USC's resounding 55-19 victory over Oklahoma on Jan. 4.

Leinart's 6,878 career passing yards rank fourth on USC's all-time list, and his 71 TD passes rank second -- one behind Palmer.

All that in just 26 games.

By staying in school, Leinart could become the second player ever to win the Heisman twice. Ohio State running back Archie Griffin accomplished the feat in 1974-75.

USC's only loss in the last two seasons was a 34-31 triple-overtime setback at California on Sept. 27, 2003, in Leinart's fourth game as the Trojans' quarterback.

He overcame a shaky start to go 21-of-39 for 277 yards but was intercepted three times. He has thrown only 12 other interceptions at USC.

Leinart, 21, passed for 3,556 yards and 38 touchdowns with nine interceptions in his first season as the starter, no doubt helped by the presence of talented and experienced wide receivers Mike Williams and Keary Colbert.

As a fourth-year junior this season, throwing to a corps of young, inexperienced wideouts, Leinart passed for 3,322 yards and 33 TDs with six interceptions.

Leinart's return means John David Booty, a former Louisiana prep standout who will be a third-year sophomore next season, will have to wait at least another year to start unless Leinart is injured or he decides to go elsewhere.

Booty is considered a better prospect now than Leinart was when he took over.

The Trojans will have two other highly regarded quarterbacks on the roster next fall in Rocky Hinds, a freshman who redshirted this season, and Mark Sanchez, who will be a freshman. Sanchez, a senior at Mission Viejo, Calif., High who has committed to USC, is considered one of the best prep quarterbacks in the country.

Without Leinart, USC figured to enter next season as the one of the country's highest-ranked teams, if not No. 1, since the majority of its starters this season were underclassmen. With Leinart, it's a virtual certainty the Trojans will be No. 1.

USC will bring a 22-game winning streak into next season -- longest in the country

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Personally, I would've left, but hey, it's his decision.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Well, no point in watching college football next year. USC will win the national championship again. At least they won't have to travel very far to play in the Rose Bowl.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

College is a good life. I understand it. It's probably a good decision for him.

5. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Oops i ment to say Can't understand this one.

6. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I respect his decision as i would have ran for the money, but he wants to enjoy college life...can't blame him for wanting to get his degree and be this super stud and tag all those SC chicks...

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

A $12 million dollar signing bonus would be a good life too... and I'm sure the chicks would be there either way.

He better be taking a FAT insurance policy out (which I'm sure he has).

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He's already got his degree, I think.

I just hope they spare us stories about how he used to be fat and cross-eyed.

9. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

That shocks me. I love to see guys stay in school but right now he already has 2 Ntl. championships, a Heisman trophy, and he looks like a top 5-10 pick (maybe #1 overall).
    I just hope for his sake that he stays healthy.

10. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

1.5 national championships...:D

11. drapg

drapg Member

This is awesome.

I only wish more college athletes would follow suit, though it makes UT's route to the Rose Bowl all that much more difficult.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

wow, I would have gone for the cash.

I mean, already won a championship (and a half) and the Hiesman Trophy, what more is there?

13. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

I think his decision is admirable, but honestly, I'm not sure if he can make it in the NFL. His arm strength looks weak. Whenever he throws the deep pass, the ball seems like it always hangs. Even when he throws the short/medium passes the ball doesn't seem to have much velocity.

14. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I think I would have done what he did. Let's face it, he's having a tremendous amount of fun right now, and the NFL will be there next year. No point in growing up too soon.

15. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Even as a fellow Trojan, I would have advised him to take the safe route with the money. However, now that he's coming back, it makes next year a lot more fun! The title game is at the Rose Bowl too! :)

16. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

they are going to be damn good again...they could possibly beat the Astros;)

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wow, what a dumb move ~ never know when some freshman might roll over your leg and shred your knee. Everything to lose and nothing to gain...

18. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

He's gonna get an insurance policy. I'm betting if worst comes to worst, the $2 mil or so he'll get will be ok for him to survive on.

Good for Leinart. Do what makes you happy bro and let everything else fall into place.