1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we as good with Mutmbo on the floor as Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rigster, Jan 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let's just humor you and say we did want to trade Yao. Who do you think we could get for him? If the other star is really good, the other team wants to keep him, unless the other star is also a malcontent and at the end of his contract. You'd have to trade for a package of players, and the rule of thumb is, the team that gets the best player wins. You'd have to think we're better off selling Yao now because his team value and market value is going down. His team value isn't going down. He's solid and productive. He could do more, sure, but I can't imagine you'd get back a better star to pair with Tmac. You'd get another set of strengths and flaws you'd have to work around.

Yao + Mo for Odom + trash
    Yao + Mo for Troy Murphy, Dunleavy, trash?

Is that the kind of deal you want to make?

That's just for the sake of arguement. The reality is : Yao is staying. You may as well live with it. He's not moving until he says he is.

2. Charvo

Charvo Member

I think it is quite evident that Yao is becoming just a roleplayer. His skills have regressed as days and weeks have passed. He used to have a very good jumpshot. He now has none. He used to have a pretty good hook shot. He struggles to even hit one nowadays.

3. Charvo

Charvo Member

I don't know. There's something about JVG's action that makes me harken back to his power play with Steve. JVG has a 4 year contract. He's in year 2. If he really wants to get a group of JVG type players, it's best to dump the non-JVG type players now while he still has somewhat of an upperhand since Les Alexander would loathe to want to pay JVG to not coach for 2 years. It worked for Steve. JVG got Steve out the door. I think JVG wants the last two remnants of the Rudy T regime out the door too. That would be Yao and Mo.

4. Charvo

Charvo Member

This is why Yao's lost jumpshot is a disservice to himself and the team. Tim Duncan's jumper allows him to face the basket and score.

Yao can probably hit a jumper without any fear of a block because he's so tall. He wouldn't need to do dribble to get open.

5. waihh

waihh Contributing Member

This point is nonsense. Mutmbo had not got one tenth the defense Yao had got. Yes, pass to him was much easier than pass to Yao, but it has nothing to do with his ability to seal his man or whatever. Apparently, he was the last option of Rox's offense. Nobody will ever bother to deny him the ball. Have you ever seen Cavin Cato being denied of an entry pass? That is it. By the way, if Mutmbo was the No. 1 or No. 2 scorer of the team, most of the times the team will loss.
    Mutmbo could do something better, but Yao is an overall better player, at the offense and deffense end. And Yao is getting better.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i love mutombo. anyone else notice how he gets up and cheers on almost every single play, big or small? i love that enthusiasm. jon barry does the exact same thing. i think deke's got a little cheeleading buddy now.

mutombo plays great for spurts at a time but it's safe to say if yao never had to rest deke wouldn't come in period.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly :rolleyes:

You can tell by how many people post on this BBS that no one really cares.

DD

8. New Jack

New Jack Member

I can’t believe a Yao-Only fan is here is telling everyone how unloyal THEY are to the Rockets.

9. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

What's the difference between Yao-only and Anyone-but-Yao? None of them are team oriented. You don't need to be perfect to offer your opinion.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

because a Yao only fan is only connected to the Rockets because of Yao.

Yao leaves, and they won't be here anymore.

Rockets fans will root for the Rockets no matter who is in the lineup.

11. Toast

Toast Member

Someone needs to clock Yao ala Deke last year to light a fire under his belly.

Isn't that what made him go on a rampage last season? I dare some chumpy center on some other team to take a cheap shot at Yao. I double dog dare you.

12. real_egal

I guess you intentionally changed anyone-but-yao (YOH?) to Rockets fans. I like Yao a lot, but I consider myself as a Rockets fan, before Yao arrived. However, as a Rockets fan, I would restrain myself, not to be mean to any important player on the team, not any player. Whether you like him or not, that's called a fan of a team. I was frustrated with Cat's play sometimes more than SF3's, but I never hated them. I wanted them to change, for the sake of the team, by playing with Yao better. As low as some consider Yao, a roleplayer, he's still on the team, if one is a Rockets fan, he should have the intention to see him do well, for the sake of the team. If one claims himself as a Rocekts fan, he should at least pretend he wishes Yao succeed, and hold back any mean attack.

A person becomes a fan because of something. Whether you like one player, or the coach, or because of your residence, or even their uniform. Why does it matter? No player exists without a team. Fans come and go, why do you care? Any person would die in the future, I don't see anyone forbid one to born.

13. MadMax

you might be getting a bit too philosophical, there.

if trading one player on the team means you're no longer a fan...then you're not much of a fan to begin with. that's it. that's my point summed up.

but it's a non-issue...the rockets will not trade yao. they'll give him max dollars and relish doing it because he means so much to them off the court.

14. real_egal

That's your perception, and you don't know it for sure until it happens, do you? I am sure there are SF3 fans left because of him, but still many stayed and became Rockets fans, and they still follow SF in the Magic, what's wrong with that? You can't even force your wife to be on the same page with you all the time, what's the point to force a fan you never see? You have to be super educational of basketball and Rockets history, committed to each player of the team, to be qualified as a Rockets fan.

Just take it easy.

15. jacago

jacago Member

http://82games.com/0405HOU.HTM

Player On Court+/- Off Court+/- Team Net+/-
    Padgett +13.1 -1.4 +14.5
    Wesley +10.5 -0.5 +11.0
    McGrady +1.9 -5.1 +6.9
    Weatherspoon +6.9 +0.1 +6.9
    Mutombo +4.9 -1.1 +6.0
    Sura +3.2 -1.2 +4.4
    Barry +4.4 +0.0 +4.4
    Jackson +1.1 -0.7 +1.8
    Barrett +1.3 +0.4 +0.9
    Ward +0.7 +0.4 +0.3
    Taylor -0.2 +1.2 -1.4
    Bowen -2.1 +0.9 -2.9
    Howard -2.0 +2.3 -4.3
    Ming -1.7 +4.1 -5.8
    Lue -5.7 +3.2 -8.9
    Gaines -9.5 +1.2 -10.7
    Nachbar -10.9 +2.2 -13.1

16. MadMax

i think you're reading more into my posts than is there. i'm not trying to force anything. this is a rockets' fan board. i'm more concerned with the opinions of people concerned with the franchise than i am for those who are most concerned with one player.

i welcome yao fans as rockets fans...i think it's great. what i'm seeing more and more of though is, "the rockets organization sucks...i hope yao gets out..blah blah blah." i'm gonna argue back with that. sorry. it's a rockets' forum.

17. real_egal

I understand your frustration, and I sometimes feel frustrated too. But you also have to realize that most of the Yao fans want the team do well. Yes, there are "fans" acting strangely, and wish Yao to be traded somewhere else, but you also have to realize that they normally are fans of those teams as well. I would not be too offended, that someone is attracted to my wife:) Put yourself in their shoes, they get upset when they have to argue with posters suggest we should dump Yao for some third tier players and rookies. If you could criticize both sides objectively and fairly, your point will be well-acrossed and received.

18. MadMax

i don't want anyone to be a yao-hater, either. but i'm not seeing anyone advocate trading him for nothing. i'm hearing some people say maybe he shouldn't be "untouchable." maybe you have to listen to offers, because he might not be a franchise player. that touches some nerves, obviously.

19. real_egal

Nobody is untouchable nowadays. Even MJ, if the price is right. But if you suggest third tier player for Yao, it's an insult to the organization, not just Yao fans. Still, most of the people are reasoning why they think it's a bad idea when posts like that emerged. Franchise player or not it's just a personal opinion, and it depends on the definition. To be honest, outside of TD, and LJ, I don't see one, not even KG, as TRUE franchise player in my book.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

LA certainly disagrees with you, since they built the whole team around KB. How about the Heat? Not KG? Wow!