1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could be another trade in the works soon...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by suddenimpact, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Xenogears

Xenogears Member

We getting Carter for Mo?:D

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I meant right now, have you watched him play this year? He is not even close to being his normal self.

DD

3. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Yeah, this is kinda where this is an interesting situation to me. I'm not sure what the years are on those draft picks they gave to the Raptors for Carter, but given that you can't trade first-round draft picks in consecutive years, it's tough to see how we could get a first-rounder from them anytime soon (unless those picks were from another team...? Can't remember, honestly). I agree with you on not wanting to take any of their garbage. Some of their guards are okay, but our sole need on this team has become forwards. Not guards, not centers. Forwards. Given that they have none worth taking, we would have to take a 1st to make this worth it. And if they don't have one in the next 3 years to give, then this probably won't work out.

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

brian scalabrine might be ok to have playing behind juwon.

5. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can't trade consecutive first round picks to the same team unless one of the first rounders is from another team. So you are allowed to trade 1st round picks every year. You just can't package consecutive 1st rounders to a team unless as noted above.

6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

That's not correct. Here's a good explanation of the "Stepien" rule from Larry Coon's FAQ:

In addition, teams are restricted from trading away future first round draft picks in consecutive years. This is called the "Ted Stepien Rule." Stepien owned the Cavs from 1980-83, and made a series of bad trades that cost the Cavs several years' first round picks. The trades, as columnist Chris Young put it, "amounted to giving up Manhattan for a bag of beads." As a result of Stepien's ineptitude, teams are now prevented from making trades which might leave them without a future first-round draft pick in consecutive years.

This rule applies only to future first round picks. For example, if this is the 99-00 season, then teams can trade their 2000 first round pick without regard to whether they had a 1999 pick, since their 1999 pick is no longer a future pick. But they can't trade away both their 2000 and 2001 picks, since both are future picks. Teams sometimes work around this rule by trading first round picks in alternate years.

In addition, teams are required to have only a first round pick, and not necessarily their first round pick. So teams may trade away their own future picks in consecutive years if they have another team's first round pick in one of those years.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#70

7. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

dude anyone who is asking for NJ to throw in a pick or player is getting WAY to greedy, the best thing that could ever happen to us is them taking Taylor off our hands for free

in fact if anyone would have to sweeten the deal it would be US, we may have to give them more to take Taylor off our hands, that is how pathetic his value is

8. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

The picks that NJ traded to Toronto were the Denver picks, not their own.

According to <a href="http://www.nba.com/nets/news/carter121704.html">the official site of the New Jersey Nets</a>, it says:

<b>The two first round selections sent to Toronto were originally acquired from Denver as part of a trade made this past summer. The draft picks include Philadelphia’s first round pick in 2005, protected 1-8 or 2006, protected 1-5 or 2007, unprotected and Denver’s first round pick in 2006, protected 1-5, 2007, protected 1-2, 2008, unprotected </b>

According to <a href="http://nbadraft.net/draftnotes.asp">NBAdraft.net</a>, NJ also holds LAC's 1st round pick:

<b>"New Jersey Nets receives a future LA Clippers first -round pick (Kenyon Martin 071504) via Denver receives a future LA Clippers first-round pick (2005 top 14 protected, 2006 unprotected) (Maggette 062800) via Orlando (Reid 080102)"</b>

So, in my understanding, NJ could still send us a first round pick ... in fact a couple.

9. Drexlerfan22

Ah, there's the info I was looking for. Thanks Sherlock. So yes, I could easily see MoT getting sent to Jersey, since those weren't their picks...

10. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

What happened, did he break every limb? :D

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I don't think you have any idea what New Jerseys' cap situation is like. After Kidd, Carter and Jefferson, they do not have a player on their roster making over $2m.

There is no way on this planet we would give them Taylor and take back the likes of Rodney Bufford and Scalabrine without picks involved. They may be protected or we may have to swap draft positions, but that's what it would take.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, his Knees are shot...and he is not moving laterally well at all.

DD

13. Wala

Wala Member

if we send Mo T then we should get Brian Scalabrine in return. He is a hustlers and that is what missing in our team. A role player who know that T-mac and Yao is that only one who should be shooting. Others should shoot only if that they are given to them.

14. Drexlerfan22

We already have Padgett and Bowen. Honestly, how much does Scalabrine really bring over those guys? You're really that desperate to have another white 6'9 "hustle guy" on the roster?

15. Lionheart

Lionheart Member

NOT FUNNNY at all. Not at a time such as this.

I know you were being humorous, but daymm show some humility.

16. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

sometimes its so sad, its so tragic, all we have is humor, to keep us from breaking. I understood dubious.

17. DaneB

DaneB Member

I think thats kind of harsh. I mean what if he either hasn't gotten any info from his source before so he doesn't know how much he really knows or maybe they have been talking with NJ, but the deal doesnt get done. Why should he be banned because NJ pulls out?

I think that would be awesome because then we would have some extra cap space to go after some decent role players. We really need to add to our bench because its pretty weak right now. Our best players are Barry and Dik. We could really use a player that can come in and do some dirty work and rebound. Also, we could use somebody that can be instant offense off the bench (preferably a G/F). I would much rather trade Maurice Taylor than Juwan Howard because with more playing time Howard will produce more consistently. Look at his scoring averages when he is playing 35 mpg. Also I think he has better work ethic. LETS GET IT DONE!!!!!

18. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

why don't we all consider this -- if this thread didn't have an ounce of creditability, Clutch would have closed it by now. Carry on.

19. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Questions for Capologists--if we trade Mo TAylor for trade exceptions (s) -does the Mo Money come off our cap??If the money cam off the cap and by trading Maurice-we were not obligated to pay him any more of this contract - then would we have that mujch room allowed to shop for another player??

It is a lot to hope for, but with our other trade exception exchange value it would benefit the Rockets to offer more than Mo Taylor to get rid of his contract, get cap room, and get the trade exception as trading / bargianing power....

20. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Exactly! Even if you get (and waste) a 2nd round pick and let the TE expire, we're better off - though we are so far over the cap we couldn't just sign a FA next year for the same money.