1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A suggestion for Yao:

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by clove, Dec 19, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Lionheart

Lionheart Member

Seriously though, you guys constantly bash Yao whenever you feel justified. Maybe you guys just dont realize it but then again, you'd probably dont give a rats ass about what other people think.

2. clove

clove Contributing Member

room4rentsf,

What you said is true if Yao is able to get his point across like Duncan. I have doubts about that. Yao's language skills and cultural difference makes it tough for him to complain and be likable at the same time IMHO. If Duncan tries to complain in Russian, against a Russian ref, it doesn't really matter what he says or does, he'll look like a whiny biatchsky to the refs. Yao does complain, he just suck at it, it's really not his fault.

I was not suggesting that he really gets in a fight. He just have to pretend he's had enough. Go right up to the player and say "I think your tatoo is really cool, buddha be praised" in Chinese, but say it like that player had just slapped his mother. The refs will not be angry beacuse a player is warning another one, it happens, and it has nothing to do with the refs. Remeber Deke went after Bradley in Dallas game? What they will do is watch those players very closely afterwards, and call any contacts to prevent further incidences.

Where in san fran are you? It's a beautiful city, a bit too expensive, but beautiful.

#82 clove, Dec 20, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  3. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Have you ever heard the "tough love" approach invented by Jeff Van Grumpy? ;)

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

No, I want people to think I am witty and talented and a kickass jazz flute player. But I don't give a rat's ass about what hypersensitive YOF's think.

He's a Rocket, he has good points and bad, ergo he will receive criticism and praise from me, since I am a ROF. Same with anybody on this team, or teams past. I'm not going to bother rehashing history to counter whether or not you think it's true, because I know this is true.

Hell, many YOF's (or at least, originally YOFs who morphed into ROF's) realize this and are able to do the same. Some don't and get overly defensive. Oh well, that's life.

5. clove

Some people on here are especially harsh on Yao, it's like a natural reflex. When they see YOFs doing their thing, it's almost like they have to put down Yao to make things even somehow, or to make YOFs angry. It's just as silly as YOFs in my opinion.

I also find it interesting that other teams, like the Mavs and Kings, have many fans that behave exactly like YOFs, but they don't get labels like YOF. They are just fans with different opinions. Maybe it's beacuse they are winning, maybe not.....

I can't believe this thread turned into this.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Oh please, don't play martyr or be so melodramatic. You turned your own thread into a punch and judy show. I'm sorry I helped.

7. clove

SamFisher,

I really don't know what punch and judy show is. But I'll assume it has to do YOF.

Find one post of mine that turned this thread into a YOF discussion.

You can just copy and paste without commenting.

#87 clove, Dec 20, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

how 'bout not worrying about the refs and just playing your game, night in and night out, on a consistent basis? just a thought.

9. clove

And it's a good thought if don't consider refs biased against Yao, or if you don't think refs are costing us games.

Many people don't think either one of those things.

Thankyou for bringing this thread back on track.

10. moomoo

moomoo Member

I think if the game were called more tightly, on both ends, I can see one way that it would benefit Yao.

A more tightly called game would presumably give the offensive player more protection, and therefore, more freedom to play their game with less hacking, bumping, less physical play in general. Yao has the height, skills, and scoring ability to capitalize on such a situation. Most of the opposing stiffs he squares up against at the center position do not have the skill to do likewise.

Advantage Yao.

Just my $0.02.

11. clove

I feel the same way moomoo.

Right now, Yao gets called tightly on D, while he's getting hammered on O. That is crazy.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i don't think refs cost us games. good teams find a way to win without excuses. this is not a very good team. they don't have the talent, yet, to support T-Mac and Yao.

and no...i don't believe refs are biased against yao. this league has a vested interest in yao doing very well.

13. clove

MadMex:

I'll agree with:
    I can't agree with refs not costing us games, and are not biased against Yao. I can't really argue with you as these are just personal beliefs, and there's nothing that can prove anyone wrong.

14. clove

Can anyone tell me what a punch and judy show is? Maybe I have misinterpreted it...

15. moomoo

moomoo Member

16. clove

Thanks moomoo.

I still don't get it. lol

oh well, it's not important.

17. Charvo

Charvo Member

Yao gets calls at home. Tonight against the Raptors should be a ref lovefest for Yao. The problem is the road games for Yao. This is why Yao needs to negate the ref factor on the road by playing Brad Miller on offense. Brad Miller can shoot jumpers which requires no body contact in the paint. If a defender touches a jumpshooter, a call should be fouled. Yao can get hacked in the paint right in plain view on the road, but he won't get the calls. Adapt and get a jumper.

18. clove

Perhaps this will work:
    When at home, play half court game, with Yao as option 1.

When away, play uptempo, with Tmac as option 1.

19. stevenzh

stevenzh Member

When Yao was option 1, anytime he missed the shot, nobody even try to get an offence rebound.

when Tmac was option1, he missed the shot, at least yao was there fight for the rebound.

If you are the coach, which way you like to play?

20. clove

I mean this in the nicest way stevenzh:

I don't know how long you've been seriously following basketball, there's much more to be considered than who can get offensive boards. I don't see your logic.