1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sportsnation poll: Best Backcourt in the East

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Dec 17, 2004.

1. vincejas

vincejas Member

Bill Russel is THE BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF ALL TIME. Period. Saying that he is just a slightly better version of kmart is an insult to a certified all time great. Kmart would never be an all star in the west, would never win a single ring (russell had 11), would never be an all nba team (russell is a 5x mvp), and would never be a leader (russell's indomitable spirit to win is comparable only to michael's) and kmart is a punk ass.

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

1. LeBron
    2. Pistons
    3. Nets
    4. Magic

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Russell could not have held Hakeem's jock strap.

He was a great defender when players were not allowed to bump and touch each other.

But he would get bullied around in today's NBA.

Hakeem was a far better defender than Russell.

DD

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Russell can't stop Hakeem's dream shake or baseline fade-away.

5. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

DD -
    I am old enough and have lived an unusual enough life to have seen Russell in realtime on TV and worked for the team while attending UH during Phi Slamma Jamma. So I have an usual perspective on both. I'm won't get into a personal opinion pissing match with you but the "could not hold Hakeem's jockstrap" is pure BS.

If someone with an identical genetic structure as Bill Russell had access to the training, nutrition, technology and coaching offered to Hakeem in the 80's and beyond, they'd be very comparable. They would not be "bullied around".

You can't discount Russell's athleticism without discounting that of Wilt Chamberlain. In addition to basketball, Wilt was a track star at Kansas. Russell stood alone as a challenge to Wilt in an era when there was no other challenge to Wilt's amazing athleticism.

You're entitled to your opinion and it wouldn't be the first time we've disagreed. But, if you think Bill Russell is closer to Kenyon Martin than he would be to Hakeem Olajuwon, you've lost some major cred with me.

6. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

I can't believe Hughes and Arenas are so low. Just goes to show you that the general population doesn't know jack squat.

Hughes: 19 points, 6 reb, 3 steals (leads league), 5 asst.

Arenas: 22 pts, 4 reb, 2 steals, 5.5 asst.

7. spacepimp

spacepimp Contributing Member

Detroit has to have the most overated back court, if you trade the front courts teams like Orlando, Newyork, washington, would have won the title also.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

but the point is that they won. Billips was MVP of the finals.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I hope you're not one of the people who says Richard Jefferson is overrated because Kidd helps him score a lot.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Man I can't wait now for the Nets to play Orlando.
    Steve and Cuttino vs THE MOST OVERATED BACKCOURT IN THE UNIVERSE

Steve/Cat will destroy these suckers.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It wouldn't suprise me to see them play well in a relatively meaningless regular season game. They are talented. But can they take their team to the Finals in the East two years in a row?

12. tinman

Supporting Member

hell yes they can. this is their first year in the east, and they have one of the best records.

I also remembered when the rockets in the rudy t days would go to the east and just obliterate the entire conference.

Steve will feel like its Prom night against New Jersey cause he's going to take those be-atches out!

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

What exactly are you basing this on?

Russell was a smaller, but just as quick, version of Dream and KG. He didn't have their offense, but he certainly had their defense and most likely would be the #3, 2, or 1 NBA All-time shotblocker if they kept that stat when he played.

Russell had the defensive IQ of a Jordan or Pippen. Why do you think he's known (second to his rings) for being the only guy that could give Wilt trouble when he gave up 4 inches and 50 pounds?

Russell would not be bullied in today's NBA.

Cassell is overrated. Past his admittedly clutch shooting and fiery attitude on the court, he's mediocore. Leadership, passing, IQ, defense, athleticism. Mediocore. He's never amounted to more than a top 5 PG at his peak, and has never been the best player of a playoff team.

Jason Kidd: Convicted Coach Killer.

Evan

14. emjohn

15. tinman

Supporting Member

he's best pg in the league last year.
    clutch shooting and fiery attitude? I'll take that ANY DAY.
    not the best player, but the most important player.
    how's clutch performance not leadership?
    athleticism? why you want him to dunk?

16. emjohn

And yet, in his worst season in years, Kidd still got voted to the NBA First Team. Cassell had a good year on a good team because the offense ran through KG and Sam was free to just do what he does best: jack up jumpers.

That's why I listed them as his better attributes, ace.

Debatable at best. Robert Horry, Kurt Rambis, and Steve Kerr probably agree with you too.

It's certainly inspiring, but that doesn't mean that he's the guy that drives his team in practices and makes them better. Cassell's never been labeled as a leader in his career - closest I've ever heard was 'ringleader'

Love how you focus on taking one thing and making it something else. I could care less about whether he dunks on Shaq and sits on his shoulders screaming. However, points need to be able to penetrate if they're going to be fully effective. As a player ages and loses a step or two, that gets more difficult to do against good defenders. Sam, especially with his hip, is in danger of having that same fall as Eric Snow and tons of guys before him. It also kills what little D he has left (notice that you 'missed' that one). Say the Wolves make the Finals against the Heat. What's he supposed to do with Wade? Say they play the Spurs and he has to stay with Parker for 7 games? If the Glove became a mitten, what'll happen with Cassell?

Over. Rated.

Evan

#36 emjohn, Dec 20, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

How is he overrated? overrated is getting accolades you dont deserve.
    Jason Kidd gets all these accolades and doesnt deserve them.

Without Cassell =Twolves 1st round exit
    With Cassell=Western Conference Finals

You can hate all you want. But the Rockets fans dont:

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Cassell can play D look, dont hate:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. emjohn

Did you happen to miss my posts? Or just convienently forget them?

Cassell is a great #3 guy, so long as there is a strong locker room presence that keeps his head right (Dream, Karl, KG) and a team defense that is willing to cover up his limitations on the recieving end of the court. That's about it.

Kidd's a multiple All-NBA and Defensive First-team guy. He obvious lacks a perimiter game, but he also obviously can run a team and make his teammates better. He did it in both Phoenix and New Jersey. Sam has yet to do any of those things in his career.

How did Horry get left off that list? He was runner up to the second Finals MVP award, and at least he started on the championship teams....

Evan

20. emjohn

Funny! I like that!

:D