1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets be shopping their first round pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 1, 2004.

?

Should the Rockets be shopping their first round pick right now?

1. Yes

129 vote(s)
    61.7%
  2. No

80 vote(s)
    38.3%
  1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Dalembert is obtainable. He seems to not be in the 76ers future plans. You can bet when his contract is up he will be out of there so I am sure the 76ers are looking to move him. He is young, atheltic and has a good contract. So he is VERY moveable. Chances are the 76ers would be looking to package Dalembert and a bad contract (Kenny Thomas, Kevin Ollie etc) to move him.

Nachbar doesnt seem to fit in with the 76ers but a 1st round pick might interest them. It would probably interest them more if we took back another high salary player though.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Samuel 'appears' to be a lock to be the incentive for a team to bail out the 6ers with KT AND/or Dog Dog. I'd jump on it with Mo, CW, TE and a 'protected' 1st, particularly if Green got included.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I don't see them moving Big Dog unless they get picks and expiring contracts in return. What would benefit them the most would be to move KT for expiring contracts so they could have major cap space with the expiration of Big Dog's contract as well as the other contracts they could get for KT. In that case, I think they would move Dalembert, if they could specifically move KT, but not Robinson.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Point is valid, sure -- but -- they are in 'trouble' if they want to compete and have the stench of G-Rob/O'B all over the squad. They have enough internally to deal with finding an answer for the Answer.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

They have no chance of winning it all this year. What good does competing for a 6-8 seed in the East do them? None. The only way they can compete this year is to be able to turn Big Dog into a good player/players. Is that gonna happen?

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I just wanted to mention that if we are competing for a 6-8 seed, after the start we've had, people around here would be damned happy. Few teams approach the season loaded up and expecting a championship. Things can fall their way, with a superb coach and just the right moves (see Detroit), but most of them are just trying to get into the playoffs, and to see what happens when they get there.

That not to say the 6'ers aren't willing to deal to improve, just that right now the Rockets might be looking to deal to get that "6-8 seed." Irony abounds. ;)

(yes, I know the East is the East... tell that to Detroit!)

I'd trade the pick in a New York minute (more irony), for the right deal.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

They have no chance of winning the EAST. But, where is their growth coming from? They keep taking step forward/step back. Dalembaert AND Green were the young blood to push AI. Hah! ZO'B may be as poor a fit there as (some believe) JVG is in Houston.

Philly must do something, or hope for balls, lotsa lotto balls (sound familiar, anyone?).

8. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

2 Players I'd Give our 1st round pick up for.

Here are two players I'd give our 1st round pick up for:

So I was watching the Memphi/NY game last night and it looks like Stro and Bonzi Wells have become expendable. Fratello is going with a more traditional rotation so that his starters get more minutes, and the subs play limited minutes.

I know that Memphis is shopping Bonzi and Jason Williams, and I havent heard anything on Stromile but if we could get Bonzi and Stromile, they would be exactly what the rockets need. They provide a little more youth (In Stro's case) a lot more youth, and they provide the athleticism to shoot our team up the athleticism "rankings."

I know theres question about Bonzi's attitude, but Ive always loved his game, and the way he can go inside/outside. When he gets hot he can put up a lot of points and he is a decent defender.

Stro on the other hand I feel is going to break out. Whether Rockets get him, or not. The next NBA team that gets Swift is gonna see him flourish into one hell of a player. Last night in limited play he had 6 blocked shots.

Id love to give up out Cower Forwards and maybe even a 1st rd pick or 2 and JJ to get this combo. Id also send any expiring contracts to them if they wanted.

To me, this deal would be a can't miss, because I love Stro's potential. Its not like were drafting him straight from LSU.
    We've had a few years to watch him develop as an NBA player and know what he can do.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Stromile Swift cannot be traded this season.

10. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

And from what I've read, Lorenzen Wright would be the odd man out, not Stro.

11. Derek James

Derek James Member

Yeah thoes are exactly the kind of players we need to add to Yao and T-Mac. Look at the pistons formula. Zone defence = long and athletic players(and well coached:rolleyes: ). Swift would be great but Bonzi would be nice too. To get that kind of talent i would give up whatever Memphis wanted except the big 2. howard,mo,jj,sura,draft pick.......whatever

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

If all it took to get Wells/Swift was one of our garbage PF's, an expiring contract (???), maybe JJ and our 1st rounder.....well that would be incredible.

13. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

You're basing a "can't miss" tade on potential? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I agree, nonetheless, that Stromile is a banger, and the Rockets are in desperate need for one. I can do without Bonzi.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Bonzi Wells and Mike Miller both would be excellant for the Rockets. It would give the Rockets a nice small forward that can score. Basically a SOLID 3rd scorer on the team to go with Tmac and Yao. Dont forget that Mike Miller is Tmac's best friend.

Stromile Swift at PF would be ideal as well paired with Yao Ming. But as stated above, Swift cant be traded this year since he signed the 1 year tender offer with the Grizz.

You might be able to get Bonzi for a 1st rounder though since the Griz got him for a 1st rounder from Portland.

Mike Miller has a huge contract but he too might be had for a 1st rounder.

Have you guys seen the Grizzlies salary cap? It is ENORMOUS! They are at around 60M for a team that might not even make the playoffs. I think the Griz would be looking to lop off salary, even for crap in return.

We should keep an eye on Memphis, especialy the closer we get to the trading deadline.

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

lets hope that West leaves and the new GM wants to shave some off the cap, we do have the almost 6M TE(5.9?), plus we have picks and a couple of expiring contracts.

I agree with you, Bonzi or Miller would be nice, and if a miracle happened, adding Swift wouldnt be too bad of an idea.

Its a real shame they dont need any 4s, we have got the biggest glut at that position of any team in the league Ill bet.

16. Elie#17

Elie#17 Contributing Member

and "stro" keeps reminding me of the astros...