1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas - Texas A&M

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by boomboom, Nov 22, 2004.

1. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

That is not a particularly well-thought-out response. You should really rethink where this is going.

It is my "fight", or any poster's fight, when they decide to comment on it. So that's not really relevant. And it is not untoward to call the concept of Texas fans rooting for a BCS bid "greedy" ignorant-- that's what it is. Texas has a legitimate claim to the BCS; it's not "greedy" to want it.

2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Why aren't UT fans happy they won? At halftime, even that wasn't a sure thing.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Actually, I think Texas probably does deserve a BCS spot.

However, I think the BCS is being kept alive, on the whole, because of greed on the part of those who benefit from it (not just BCS schools, they're actually only a small part of it)

Why would they want to share what they now have, especially if they don't have to?

I guess you thought I was dogging UT directly. Like it's their fault or something for the BCS. Well I wasn't. Nor was I saying it was "greedy" of Texas to think they belong in a BCS game. That was not my point, nor intent, at all.

I was refering, in my original post, to someone wanting Boise St. to get blown out, solely to keep the exclusive nature of the BCS alive. That, in my opinion, is a bit selfish and greedy. It had nothing to do with UT.

#143 DonnyMost, Nov 26, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  4. BrianKagy

Hey Donnie-- this thing is 100% on me. I was being a dick. Whether I understood your post or not, I was too confrontational here and shouldn't have been. Good post, good points, BK IS SORREY

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

No prob. Sorry if I crossed a line too, I figured you'd be in a more jocular mood after a win anyway. :cool:

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

and this is when i knew we were gonna get KANSAS STATEd
    :D

Rocket River

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I thought McNeal played well. Oh, and the TU thing is really played out.

I wonder how bad it would've been had Vince not screwed up before the half?

8. asusman103

asusman103 Contributing Member

just got back from the game!! whew that was a great way to end season, good game aggies in first half but you were just dominated in the 2nd half. hook em

9. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Texas vs Good Texas School = UT Win

Texas vs National Power= UT Loss

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm not one to normally give props to our coaches, but when your team outscores their opponents 105-3 in the 3rd quarter, you have to give credit where it's due.

11. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

A*M stood no chance...

hook 'em

12. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

Cal needs a bad showing against So. Miss to get my Horns in the BCS. They need a loss to take care of my beloved Broncos.

13. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I think we stand a chance of jumping Cal even without them losing. The gap between us last week was very small, we had an impressive when over BCS top 20 team, and Arizona State lost to Arizona, hurting Cal SOS. It will be interesting to see the rankings when they come out on Monday.

14. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

What exactly does the BCS bowl mean to an average fan other than the University getting a lot of money?

I don't see the big deal between a bowl that makes them the 5th best team in the country or a bowl where the 7th place type team goes... but maybe more comes along with BCS game than I realize..

15. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

BCS bowl =

Directly: Money
    Indirectly: Recruiting...which brings more BCS bowls...which brings more money. which brings on more recruits...which brings more BCS bowls...which brings more money. which brings on more recruits...which brings more BCS bowls...which brings more money. which brings on more recruits...which brings more BCS bowls...which brings more money. which brings on more recruits...which brings more BCS bowls...which brings more money. which brings on more recruits...which brings more BCS bowls...which brings more money. which brings on more recruits...which brings more BCS bowls...which brings more money. which brings on more recruits...which brings more BCS bowls...which brings more money. which brings on more recruits...which brings more BCS bowls...which brings more money. which brings on more recruits...which brings more BCS bowls...which brings more money. which brings on more recruits...which brings more BCS bowls...which brings more money. which brings on more recruits...which brings more BCS bowls...which brings more money. which brings on more recruits...

16. junglerules

junglerules Member

I think it also means prestige, and just a prime time, national television audience to check out your school. Although Texas would probably play a better team in UGA or Tenn. in the Cotton Bowl, it's the notion that every team each year wants to be in that Elite 8 group when the season finishes, even if the elite 8 doesn't reflect the 8 best teams in the country.

17. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

junglerules.. that's probably true...

I personally care about the championship game.. and then any other bowls I have interest in one of the teams.. I don't necessarily watch them just because they are a "bcs" bowl.. but with the time slots and all .. I'm sure a lot of people that don't watch any other bowls do watch the BCS ones..

18. BrianKagy

BCS bowl = no 10 AM Cotton Bowl kickofff = good thing.

19. Elliott03

Elliott03 Member

As much as it pains me too say it Texas deserves a BCS spot. Benson is a beast aswell, by far the best back in the country. Good game horns and see you in CS next year.

gig 'em

20. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Eh, I'd care about the BCS money if the university put it into education...

No doubt being in BCS is better than not being, but I really don't think it'll help your recruiting much. Maybe it would at Utah etc.. but I think your recruiting is about as high as it can get without beating Oklahoma.. You are the 2nd best team in your conference and all recruits already know that..

Other than finacially, I don't see missing the BCS as a huge loss as far as recruiting etc..

BCS or no.. I and everyone else already see Texas as a premier football school..

While I'm in the thread. Good luck to Texas in basketball this year.. for me college football ends when Vandy loses (although it was close this year) to Tennessee.. I'm ready for college basketball now.. the month layoff between games.. really gets me out of football mood