1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FSN reaches deal to televise Rockets, Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Faos, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think its just FSN buying the rights to air the regional network... meaning that it won't be your traditionaly FSN broadcast, but a broadcast of the Houston Regional Sports Netowork that will air on FSN because they paid for it.

Think Rockets broadcasts on UPN, WB, or even 51... but with better ad revenue, and thus (hopefully) better pre-game, post-game stuff. But, I do have a feeling that for post-game, they'll just do the FSN sports report... unless FSSW has completely given up on the Houston market in terms of them caring about regional sports, and then they'll just let the RSN do whatever they want.

Also, it will remain on FSN as long as the contract is... and frankly, it might be a better deal for the Astros/Rockets, since they won't have to worry about all the hassles of dealing with cable/satellite companies on how much to charge for the new channel. Granted, they may hike up the rates now for basic cable (or they may make FSSW a "luxury" item like it is on satellite), but that's a war the Rockets/Astros won't have to be a part of, and risk a whole nother war (remember the Yankees Yes network and cablevision's huge spat??)

So, both parties benefit big time:

The Astros/Rockets get all the revenue of starting their own network, but without the hassle of actually "starting" their own network... and worrrying about what programming to put on the times when there are no games (although some classic Rockets/Astros games would have been fun).

And FSN keeps two huge commodites on their own network for the upcoming many years, and even though it may looks like they're paying through the nose, they will probably get a % of the ad revenue, and the increased ratings will allow them to charge more for ad time for their other programming.

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I do feel bad for you non-cable people, but as a cable subscriber who was highly dissatisfied with 51's broadcast quality, I'm pretty pumped. I mean, c'mon, better signal AND they're rumored to be ditching Cooper?! Sweet!

Plus, chances are better that FSN will be broadcasting some kind of weekly "Rockets Show" or something... awesome.

3. surrender

surrender Member

Will the games be available on FSN HD?

4. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

That really sucks:( I wish Cuban sell the Mavs to some other place.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I hope we get all the games. Man how sweet would that be?! I would be in heaven!

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I would have to guess that the Rockets will go after markets like Beaumont, Victoria, College Station, Brenham and so on - in our general area.

7. Manuel Romney

Manuel Romney Contributing Member

Yes!! Now I won't have to watch that commercial with the pregnant lady and her husband trying to pay the toll. I hated that commercial more than the old Auto Zone commercials they used to show.

8. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

THANKYOU!!! I really hate that one too...

9. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

So what NETWORK will I need to turn on for the game Tuesday??? The Rockets homepage says NBALP, if its only on LP I will be really pissed!!

#29 Davidoff, Nov 9, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  10. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

Man, i hope that's true

11. Elliott03

Elliott03 Member

I called cox but just like last year the woman was had no idea what i was talking about. Ill keep trying though

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Im assuming this is the updated story with more details...

the biggest news from this story as far as it concerns us right now is that the game tonight against the Grizz is going to be on FSSW

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/2891430

13. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

in dallas we get mavs on upn and fsn, no rockets, until they play the mavs.

But I should be able to catch Stevie and Co. tonight when they play the Mavs tonight.

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Interesting... the article would seem to indicate that FSN is going to assume the broadcasts meaning they would take over things like halftime segments unless I'm reading it wrong.

Obviously, they are talking about doing more local programming and you can bet if they decide to do that, the Rockets will get their own pre, half and/or post game shows.

I guess we'll just have to see what happens tonight. :)

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

the way I read it, Im willing to bet that there will be more programming devoted to the Rockets/Stros..maybe a weekly show devoted to covering the games of the week or something like that.

Im not seeing what says that FSN will take over the pre/post/halftime shows tho....what part hints to that? :confused:

16. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Didn't Clutch say something like most of the halftime will be made up with commercials and only 3 minutes of actual halftime show stuff? That ain't good.

17. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

This sucks if you don't have cable. I got great reception from TV-51.....oh well I guess its back to the AM dial for me.

Freakin' cable monopolies......:mad: :mad:

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... it doesn't mention anywhere that the Rockets/Astros will be in charge of the broadcast, and seeing that FSN takes care of a good number of NBA teams (and none of those teams do the production themselves), I'd assume that it is just as is in this case. (I thought it would have been a stretch for FSN to be spending the huge money... AND they would have nothing to do with the broadcast except be providing the air time).

Also, I like the part about them possibly re-branding the FSN networks in Texas, and creating a FSN Houston (they might as well... there'll be bascially nothing but Rockets and Astros on in primetime till next September). THAT would definitely mean they would get more pre-game/post-game stuff... since the studio would be here, and we wouldn't have to hear about those Dallas/SA teams leading the FSSW sports report broacasts, like they have the last 3 years.

19. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

From this...

FSN Southwest has the right to produce the remaining 68 games not scheduled as part of the national network television packages, and FSN said virtually all of those games will air on cable.

"Produce" generally means more than just air the games. That usually means they handle the pregame, halftime and postgame and/or integrate each as part of their regular broadcasts.

If the halftime turns out to be 12 minutes (or whatever it was) of commercials, that will suck balls.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

For those of you that do not have cable, you would have been screwed either way. If this deal wasn't signed, then a regional CABLE network would have begun, probably next year with the start of the Astros season.

I do live in Austin and rely on national tv games. I have seen games on 51 and it sucked. It makes the Rockets look like amateurs.