1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Better Franchise Player: Yao or Francis?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsAstros, Nov 4, 2004.

Tags:
?

Better Franchise Player: Yao or Francis?

1. Yao

237 vote(s)
    64.4%
  2. Francis

131 vote(s)
    35.6%
  1. PXZ

PXZ Member

We all know T-Mac is a great player while Yao is still full of "potentials". If the combo doesn't work out, JVG would be the first one to go and Yao would be the next. T-Mac is a Rocket for the next seven years.

2. jlwee

jlwee Member

while, true... JVG will be first to go.. the next one... hmmmm.... it depends pal, isnt t-mac suppose to be with the magics for seven years?????

3. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Neither one is a franchise player at this point. The only difference is, we know what Francis is, he's basically as good as he'll ever get. Yao, on the other hand, stilll has the possibillity to develop.

4. Just B

Just B Member

Yeah I agree that Yao's got a lot of potential to develop, but I don't think Francis is as good as he's gonna get. Move Steve to the 2 guard stop and THEN we'll see him reach his potential, kinda like what happened with AI.

5. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Contributing Member

Here's what I love - everybody forgets about what Yao has done thus far. Granted, 2 games into the 3rd season as an American player he has not broken out with his 40pts, 40rebs, 20assists, 12blks yet. I understand that. But last night was a TERRIBLE game for Yao (Uhh..17 & 9 w/ 6to's)

The reason I stress American is because of styles. Everyone in Houston is letting the Texans' David Carr become his own man now that he's in his THIRD year. Everybody gets to have until their THIRD year. Kobe was given until his 3rd year to get that DOMINANT 19/5/3 a game.

BUT WAIT..Yao not only has until year 3 only, he has to get rid of 22 years of ONE STYLE OF PLAY, switch it off, become aggressive, yell at people, dominate in all areas, learn English, understand a new system, learn new players, feel at home across THE WORLD, talk ****, be strong, and play like an American. Uhh..ok..can we give him just one more month? Please? I mean, the poor guy NEVER lifts weights, NEVER trys to get into shape, NEVER keeps his commitments, NEVER has to deal with hordes of media in EVERY arena at EVERY game, he never trys his ass off as a coachable teammate who's trying his best to what's best for the team at every moment even to a fault!! Nope! This guy deserves to be bashed at every turn because of ALL of the aforementioned detriments that he brings.

I know that Shaq says that he's the only one that gives him trouble but what the hck does Shaq know? Man, if we could just get Yao on a team of bad players, maybe he could average enough for people here to be happy with 'his play!'

Look, Steve is a good player. Good for Steve - move the ____ on. We have our nucleus to build around. If we could just add 10 more all-stars averaging 20/10/10 a night (Or at least Kobe's DOMINANT 19/5/3 numbers from HIS third year!) then maybe everyone would be ok with Yao and just let him 'find his way through this lifemaze called the NBA!'

I can tell you this though - When he does, there will people eating their words. I guaran-damn-tee that!!

6. Miggidy Markell

Yea, I'll go Steve Francis too.

7. Miggidy Markell

But he was not given a good team. Is T-Mac a failure? Watch Orlando's season this year, it's gonna be interesting.

8. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

In his third year, Kobe was 20 years old. When he was 24 ( like Yao) he average 30/7/6. Shouldn't we expect that from Yao?

Unfair, you say? Well, yes it is, but so is your comparison.

9. Miggidy Markell

Sorry to post over and over but... I see people saying Yao has potential to make a championship team because of what he is. The guy is 7'6 and there is a hand full of other centers out there that have game. THIS alone makes Yao so good in the league where Francis cannot EASILY get to the hoop for easy baskets (especially last year where JVG just didn't exploit his ability to get in the lane).
    However. Once the Rockets make play-offs, when it becomes a half court game teams will double and triple Yao in the post and the inconsistant shooters take the chance. Tracy cannot win the game alone as we saw last year and with JVG's system it will make it even harder.

Bash all you like, but come play-off time and when the Rockets don't win the championship. You will see exactly what I mean.

10. Just B

Just B Member

What about if you average 30 ppg but lead your team into a 19 game losing streak? Are you a failure then?

11. jlwee

jlwee Member

Yes, i considered tmac at magics a failure too!!! That's why both of them get traded. Hey, i know u r die hard francis fan( from your sig), in fact i m a francis fan too but the topic here is who is better franchise player: yao or francis?? My answer is we have tried francis to lead and he failed so we moved on to yao. Whether yao will succeed we will see in the next 2-3 seasons. As for francis, well i hope he can lead magics to the finals.
    I hope for a rockets-magics nba finals in 2006... go ROCKETS

12. HoustonForever

Yao and Francis are both great players and I have utmost respect for them. I wish Francis the best in Orlando and hope Yao will continue to improve.

13. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Right now I want Francis.... 5 years from now? I'm assuming Yao.

-And I never blamed Francis for our woes; I ALWAYS blamed VanGrumpy or Yao! (so much potential)

-Steve is just a dimwitted SG that plays PG, but he always plays passionately.

14. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

Francis is a great player, he can be in a winning team, can get to the second round of the playoff but cannot take his team to a champion.

Yao may never be a great player but no doubt he is good, very good as a big man, at worst top 5 big man now and in the next 5 years. Yao + Tmac is not a short term investment. CD is trying to built a Champion team here but not this season. Both Yao and Tmac are rare and while we got them both for the next 5 year, CD has lots of time to built a Cham. I think Rockets has a good chance to win at least one championship within the next 5 years. I don't think Olando, wiht Francis as their top guy, have a chance at all.

15. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

The truth is Francis CAN get 21+, 7+, 5+ any day of the week. Last year doesnt count because of that dumbace we have as coach. God he irritates me

16. indaclubam2pm

indaclubam2pm Contributing Member

in a few seasons yao will be the best center in the nba, and he attracts more FA, and superstars to the team, just like how he attracted tracy mcgrady, he also brings all of china's billion ppl as fans who buy rockets products

17. noize

noize Contributing Member

What the hell....I thought the reason fore Steve's low stats was sacrificed for giving Yao more touches? Ain't thats what 95% of the members of this board wanted...the reason why we wanted him out? Now once hes shipped out, we just contradicted ourselves and acted if Steve should've taken the same shots he always had. When do people will began realize that stats mean very little without team chemistry. I thought we've learned all of that when T-Mac was in Orlando. Any good player can get 21pts a game if given the ball 21-25 times a game.

18. PXZ

PXZ Member

FYI, Steve's career FGA (field goal attempt) is 16 per games.

19. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I would like to see what this thread is like at the All Star Break.

I'm worried about Yao this season but its too early to tell.

20. crazyguypete

crazyguypete Member

I dont know if anyones noticed this but thus far in these two games we've watched Yao, how many times has he touched the ball? I dont know... but to me it just seems Yao barely touches the ball.. we just do that thing where we pass the ball around the perimeter till the shot clock dies down and then jack up a bad shot. Houston needs to do that play more where they post up yao on the left block and our pf drops it off to him. Lets allow Yao to touch the ball 40 times a game before we judge just how dominating he is or can be.