1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NLCS] Astros @ Cardinals Game 6

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2004.

1. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I say Biggio AND Bagwell are the x-factors...the guy before and the guy after Beltran...you HAVE to get on base w/ Beltran behind you...and you can bet the Cards are gonna do eveything they can to not give Carlos anything good to hit...so Bagwell has to come up huge behind him.

2. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Agreed but Garner shouldve cut his losses.

Once he was lucky enough to get Rolen out, he shouldve brought in Gallo to face the lefthander and Springer in against Renteria.

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

We threw a clown like Pete Munro out there and they needed 12 innings to beat us. If they can beat us tommorrow with the Cy-Young, the only 20 game winner in the NL, and the man who has possibly now become the most dominant closer in baseball, I'll tip my hat to them. The better team will win this series, it's as simple as that.

4. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I really had a bad feeling after the top of the 12th started and Beltran and Bagwell got out REALLY QUICK....that was our best chance with their top of the lineup coming up....with them going out so quickly I just had a feeling it was over.

5. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Problem is Clemens always throws a lot of pitches and will struggle past 6. We need to have Oswalt available.

If he throws anyone else out there, it could be the game.

Also, Im very worried that the Cards have seen Lidge 1 too many times. He's pitched a ton against them and at some point, they're going to guess right on that slider.

The game will be very close.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I just wished they didn't pitch lidge three innings. When garner saw that this game was going to go so long (after the 9th) and knowing what he had in the bullpen he should have cut his loses and taken out lidge and saved him for tommorow. That way we could have let clemens go seven and bring lidge for the 8th and 9th.

7. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

concerning lidge, it doesn't matter if the batters have seen him 100 times, cause the pitches are just that nasty. the only way the batters can ever hit lidge's slider is if lidge doesn't throw it right and his mechanics are off. if he throws it right and mixes his fastball, they can't tell the difference between the 2 and that's why his slider is so effective.

and concerning lidge's availability, i think he'll be fine, he threw 30+ pitches which isn't too bad given the fact that in game 4 he threw 40+ in 2 innings

here's my ideal situation:

clemens goes 6-7 strong followed by roy-o for 1-2 and then lidge in the 9th. If it goes like that we're looking at trip to the series (hopefully)

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He only threw 32 pitches today!!!

That's less than last Saturday, when he threw 41... and he came back for two the next day, and came back the day after that for one more.

He'll be fine... or do you think the Cardinals are catching up to him?

Today... 3 innings pitched... 9 up, 9 down, 5 K's. Hell... that's BETTER than he's pitched all year.

9. AGBee

AGBee Member

My ideal situation is 50 runs in the 1st for the Astros, and Miceli falls in a mystery hole.

10. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

Shoosh.

Lidge will be fine tomorrow and besides...we won't need him. We're gonna blow them the hell out just like game 5 in the ATL.

11. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

lol

50 runs?? that's not enough, i'd feel more comfortable with 39847473801974091374 runs.

12. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

nothing to add that hasn't already been said.

time to put up or shut up tommorow though.

good luck stros.

13. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

as soon as garner put miceli in, everyone at the fraternity house let out a collective moan. we all knew it was coming, so no one was actually all that surprised when edmonds blasted it. that's what we expected.

we'll get em tomorrow, fellas. clemens, roy, lidge....... i like our odds.

party at the frat mansion after the W tomorrow!

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I fully expect Clemens to get 7 innings. He did so in 20 out of 33 starts this year, including 2 playoff starts.

15. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Can we get rid of this damn sticky and get game 7 up here?? We need to forget tonight and start fresh for tomorrow.

16. New Jack

New Jack Member

I have confidence that Clemens will win game 7, but it would have been so great if we could have gotten the win today and saved him for game 1 of the world series, pitching in either Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium, both ballparks he is very familiar with.

17. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

i feel better for some random reason that boston may win it..

a small consolation prize on a real downer of a day for astros fans :[

we've got one shot tommorow, with clemens on the mound...... hope the bats can breakout in a big way.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Also probably because it shows that the road team can not only win game 7, but they can win in a blow-out.

And we know that this Red Sox win will overshadow any win the Cardinals ever had. Actually, a Yankees win would have as well.

Frankly... the winner of this Boston-Yankees LCS may be declared the world champion before game 7 of the NLCS is ever played...

19. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

LMFAO! :D

20. unt2003

unt2003 Member

lets look at the positive guys.... clemens is going tomorrow, lidge, who didnt throw that many pitches, in those three innings will be good to go. and we also got oswalt coming out of the pen. dont discount what qualls and harville did today too.
    freakin JEFF SUPPAN IS STARTING FOR THEM TOMORROW!!!!
    I BELIEVE!!