1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Sources say Autopsy of Caminiti shows he OVERDOSED

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Stack24, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

ESPN - Sources say Autopsy of Caminiti shows he OVERDOSED

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1902132

Preliminary results of the autopsy performed on Ken Caminiti show that the former National League MVP died of a drug overdose, a New York City police source told ESPN's Jeremy Schaap.

Caminiti, 41, reportedly collapsed in a Bronx apartment on Sunday and was pronounced dead at Lincoln Hospital. His agent, Rick Licht, said at the time Caminiti died of a heart attack.

The medical examiner's office performed the autopsy on Monday, but a spokesperson for the medical examiner said Thursday that no official cause of death would be announced until the completion of a toxicology report, which could take up to 10 days.

Caminiti battled drug and alcohol problems during his 15-year major-league career. In May 2002, he told Sports Illustrated he used steroids during his career.

On Tuesday, Newsday (N.Y.) reported that Caminiti was "depressed" and "edgy," and wanted to talk about "life, love and everything," during the last half day of his life, according to Rob Silva, a 35-year-old ex-con from Brooklyn, who had met Caminiti about a year and a half ago.

Just last week, he admitted in a Houston court that he violated his probation by using cocaine last month, and was sentenced to 180 days in jail.

Caminiti's big-league career ended in 2001. He was a three-time All Star third baseman and a unanimous pick for MVP in 1996 when he led the San Diego Padres to the World Series.

2. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Sad. :(

Why didn't we see the warning signs? :confused: I know we did. My point is this... why couldn't they lock him away after last week? Perhaps this wouldn't happen... at least not now.

3. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Unfortunatly the trend he was living, it would have happened one day or another. He just couldn't beat it.

4. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Gut-wrenching.:(

I wish his life would have gone better, and I hope he sets an example for youngsters even thinking about doing hard drugs.

5. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Stack24, That's why I said "at least not now." The timing, during his career's limelight time of the year, is most unfortunate for all of sport.

6. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I dont know who wrote this, but Cammy led the Padres to the World Series in 1998, not 96. Pretty bad mistake if you ask me.

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I feel for his wife and kids. He went from on top of the world to the bottom. What a wild ride this thing we call life. Personal demons can destroy.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the article codell linked us to:
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2848205

Officials deny report that Caminiti overdosed
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

The New York City Medical Examiner's Office is denying a report that preliminary results of the autopsy performed on Ken Caminiti show that the former National League MVP died of a drug overdose.

A story posted on ESPN.com tonight stated that a New York City police source told ESPN that the former Houston Astro died of a drug overdose.

Ellen Borakove, a spokeswoman for the medical examiner's office, said that after the story was posted, she awoke the pathologist who performed the autopsy. He assured her that the tests are not complete and no cause of death has been determined.

The tests should be in by midweek, she said.

"I don't know where this is coming from and I'm trying to quiet it down -- the tests aren't finalized," Borakove said. "This is not fair at all fair to his family."

Caminiti died Sunday of what his agent said was a heart attack at Lincoln Memorial Hospital in the Bronx. He was 41. Caminiti broke into the major leagues with Houston in 1987 and was traded to San Diego in 1995. He was the 1996 National League Most Valuable Player and won three Gold Gloves

10. codell

codell Contributing Member

the sad thing is........even if drugs didn't cause his death, drugs still caused his death........if that makes sense

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I definetly think that we will find that Cammy had an enlarged heart due to years of steroids and cocaine. I also think it was horribly irresponsible of ESPN to report this until the medical examiner came out with their report.