1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

{Houston Chronicle} Even vets like Mutombo, Howard learn new tricks from Van Gundy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rob English, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Rob English

Rob English Member

[​IMG]

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2830847

Oct. 4, 2004, 11:23PM

Rockets get doctorate in D
    Even vets like Mutombo, Howard learn new tricks from Van Gundy

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

The first scrimmage of Rockets training camp was moments from starting when Dikembe Mutombo, warming up on a stationary bicycle next to Tracy McGrady, leaned over to his new teammate to share a secret.

In that unmistakable voice, Mutombo, one of the most accomplished defenders of his generation, told McGrady how much he had been learning about, of all things, defense.

What's next? Luciano Pavarotti signing up for singing lessons? Wolfgang Puck trading recipes?

"This is all relatively new to me," McGrady said. "I've been through eight training camps. This is, for me, the (most) knowledge in terms of basketball.

"God knows how many training camps (Mutombo) has been through. He said the same thing. He's learned a lot, things he didn't know about the game of basketball."

McGrady has been raving about pretty much everything since he arrived in Houston last week, and Mutombo seems equally optimistic about his own move. But Mutombo did not expect to be enrolling in advanced classes in NBA defense.

Mutombo had no doubt heard the word on Jeff Van Gundy that makes the rounds. McGrady said Sunday that he definitely had. Long practices. Emphasis on defense. Exercise bicycles for players who don't meet conditioning goals.

But after a career spent as one of the league's best on defense, Mutombo has found a coach who loves the art form as much as he does, one who can teach him details he never picked up in all these years.

"After 14 years, I didn't know I could keep learning," said Mutombo, the NBA's only four-time Defensive Player of the Year. "Coming in here is like being in the classroom. We learn every day."

Mutombo roared with laughter at Van Gundy's description of his age: "He says he's 38, may be 48 and is probably 58."

"Yesterday," Mutombo said, "he was asking me if I was 38 based on the tree planted next to the river. I think it's just a joke. Mutombo's 38."

Mutombo kept smiling when he described being used defensively as if he were 28.

"Jeff was teaching us how to do the rotation, how to trap the pick-and-roll and how to move back, to find the loose ball and try to guard him," Mutombo said. "It's great. I was just a shot blocker waiting for people to bring the ball to the basket. He's making sure I will be part of the whole rotation. I just feel good about it."

He is not alone. The Rockets' next most veteran player, Juwan Howard, took his turn raving about the defensive demands.

"My 11th year in the league I'm learning new things, and I'm excited because I see now how Coach always wins," Howard said. "He's a fiery guy. He's a perfectionist. He makes sure every player is working hard and working hard as a team. But defense is the No. 1 thing. He sees everything."

Van Gundy, who considers compliments anathemas, did not join the chorus.

"I have no idea what they're talking about," he said. "I'm just coaching. ... They're sucking up for a day off."

But Mutombo, Howard and McGrady, the three most veteran of the Rockets' eight newcomers (excluding the injured Bob Sura), have never been known as suck-ups. They might simply have been filled with the optimism of a new start or energized by the first days of camp.

Regardless, Van Gundy can't mind hearing about how much some of his most accomplished players believe in his teaching.

"We are guys that do not have big egos," Howard said. "We want to be coached. Here you have guys all ears and all eyes open. We want to win. So you have to listen because the guy knows what he's talking about."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rockets Summary

Flop culture
    The Rockets' first scrimmage did not give Yao Ming his first practice session against Dikembe Mutombo, but Juwan Howard was challenge enough, though Yao was not entirely in agreement on the offensive foul Howard drew against him.

"He flopped down," Yao said. "He got a charge. For me, it was a stupid play."

Howard did not deny the charge about the charge.

"I was just trying to play good defense on him," Howard said. "As we all know, Yao is a tough player to play against with his stature, and he's a strong guy in there. He's a load. I was trying to do my best to defend him.

"But I probably did flop on the play. I'll say he told the truth."

Sura waits
    Guard Bob Sura, who signed with the Rockets in August as a free agent, said he expects his return to the court to be a bit slower than he hoped and perhaps expected. He predicted he would not be able to play until mid-December.

That, however, puts him only slightly off the pace doctors predicted when they said it would take "at least" eight weeks for Sura to begin workouts after back surgery.

"It's going to be awhile," Sura said. "Middle December is probably more realistic. I kind of hoped to be back a little bit sooner than that. But I'd rather take a few extra weeks at the beginning and have the problem cured and be able to finish the rest of the season, the rest of my career without having any problem than try to rush back."

-- JONATHAN FEIGEN

2. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Contributing Member

They are obviously just being phony. :rolleyes:

3. houstoncart

houstoncart Member

Well.....sounds good to me.

The way they're talking kind of reminds me of the Sac Kings. They sound like they all get along, and if they can find that chemistry both on and off the court, this team can be great.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

wow. amazing quote from deke. this is gonna be a great season.

5. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

what in the hell is this "I'm learning something new everyday!" we're getting from the players? what coud JVG be teaching them? If it's new to them, he's either teaching them stuff like financing, or how to kiss jvgs butt to the media to get playing time. Honeymoons are fun and all, but I'm one that likes to see actions back up words.

6. Tyler Durden

:rolleyes: = sarcasm

7. Tyler Durden

Action? What do you suggest? Them knocking on the King's or Spur's locker room door and dragging them out to your living room to play a exibition for you? Last time i checked the season hasn't started buddy.

What could JVG be teaching them? Um, i thought the article was self-explainatory. DEFENSE.

But you are on the right track though, Tmac must be looking over his shoulder because Reece Gaines and Boki are going to give his starting role a run for his money. Better start the ass kissing early before they eat into more of his minutes. And of course, Deke still has high hopes of showing Yao up for the dominant center role of this team. We all know who the REAL dominant center is- the one who is still looking for that gosh darn tree.

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

[sarcasm]

Yeah, well I'd MUCH rather see them b****ing and complaining. In fact, I want McGrady to hate it here. I want him to demand a trade out of here before the end of training camp.

And I know for sure that they aren't learning anything. I mean that's obvious since we've all watched them practice every day and know exactly what it was like on their previous teams. With all that knowledge, it is easy to see they are lying.

[/sarcasm]

Sometimes, you guys can be some serious freaks. :)

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

yao is tall.

10. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

Notice the shorts in the picture above. If there was an alternate away jersey, I'd bet that's the color. White stripes would do nicely here, but I'm not sure if a lack of red would be acceptible to Tim and the rest of the organization.

But then again, what would I know. Just a peon here.

#10 The Sensei, Oct 5, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2004
  11. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

LOL!;)

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Man,

The city of Houston must be ROCKING right now.

DD

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

juwan howard's comments this year reminds me of jimmy jackson's last year. a new veteran who comes to a new team but knows how to work hard and more importantly seems to know his role with the coach and the team. man if howard can make a similar contribution as JJ it'd be better then expected.

14. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

I know it's been brought up before in previous pics during and after the trade, but does the ankle in the left bottom corner belong to TMac? I know he's thin, but everytime I see one of these pics I amazed that a grown man can stand(much less run, jump, and make superhuman moves)on what amounts to straight pins!:eek: :confused:

I know it's not fair to compare them to Yao's, but even Howard's ankles make those look like twigs. Heck, my 10 year old may have thicker sticks. How can those ankles not go snnnaaapppp at the first sudden stop or change of direction or stepping on someone's foot, etc?

15. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Does anyone remember if SF/CM/CATo ever said these kind of things about JVG during training camp?

I love the trade so much :) :) :) :) :)

16. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like the black gear.

17. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Mark it down.

It may take half the season, but if this Rocket team gets the defense down that JVG pushes to the point of insanity, they will be a load come playoff time.

Play off basketball is all about possessions offensive execution and defensive warfare.

You got to be able to play every possession.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think they did

similar things. . .JVG really liked Cato
    he said he liked Francis and Cuttino. . .

Rocket River

19. Cesar^Geronimo

We have to be patient if they aren't blowing teams out early -- but when the vets and the leaders are in line and optimistic great things can happen - and we will get better each game.

Chemistry counts and it seems like we are started to build some.

20. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This was the best I could find:

link