1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In Your Opinion, Who Won?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lil Pun, Sep 30, 2004.

Tags:
?

Who Won the First Debate

1. Bush

9 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. Kerry

122 vote(s)
    75.8%
  3. Neither/Tie

30 vote(s)
    18.6%
  1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

didn't he make some kind of of remark like "yeah, I'm trying to put a leash on em."

or something to that affect?

2. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Thought this was interesting. A body language consultant critiqued both candidates facial expressions, etc...

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20041001/lf_afp/us_vote_kerry_bush_body_041001180150

WASHINGTON (AFP) - George W. Bush needs to get rid of the grimaces and smirks, John Kerry (news - web sites) is still struggling to put on a natural smile, experts said after the first presidential debate between the two rivals.

While Kerry was given the best marks in some polls after Thursday night's debate, communications experts said both contenders must work on their body language ahead of the two remaining presidential debates and the November 2 election.

According to Patti Wood, an Atlanta-based body language consultant, Bush had an assured first 30 minutes at the crucial first debate.

"But he seemed to run out of planned stuff to say and I think he became emotional," added Wood, who has advised the US military and top firms on communications and body language.

"He repeated himself so much. When you repeat the same message it makes it look as though everything is planned and rehearsed. I think it made him look childish."

Wood said that Bush has a "tongue thrust" during speeches but kept this under control at the University of Miami debate. "He only did it a few times." But she added that Bush also "grimaced" and "smirked" a lot and must also control this in future debates.

"I think it made him look childish, they were not presidential gestures."

But Kerry also has problems, she added.

"He appeared a little bit flustered during the first 30 minutes but gained in composure as it went on."

Kerry "did not look at the camera so he was not engaging the American public. He has to look at the camera and give off more warmth from his voice and smile."

Wood said there was a "a lot of anger in Kerry's actions and his voice and we don't vote for anger."

According to Allan Bonner, a Canadian political economy academic who also teaches communications to North American executives, said the US president had been effective in reaching his core Christian right voter base.

Bush took control at the start of the debate by marching over to Kerry's side of the stage to shake his hand, said Bonner.

But he also highlighted Bush's grimaces while Kerry was attacking his record on Iraq (news - web sites). "The reactions showed Bush looking perplexed or flummoxed," said Bonner. But the faces are not all bad for the president.

"Although it is not the kind of facial expressions I would counsel, I think it was authentic. Bush breaks a lot of rules but at least he is seen as authentic."

Bonner said that Kerry swayed too much, "a bit like a horse", and this made him look ineffective sometimes.

"Swaying below the waist can make him look shifty. I was surprised by his body movement."

Bonner and other experts say that 50-70 percent of the impact made by speakers can come from their non-verbal body actions.

The Republican and Democratic campaigns set out 32 pages of regulations for the debates, mainly aimed at controlling how the candidates are seen on television screens.

According to Hogan, "that much restriction on the thinking of the two candidates body language will become far more important than the candidates themselves know. No one can control their nonverbal communication with this much attention being put on verbal communication."

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Why the long face John? :D

4. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Kerry easily won the debate. He had good responses for all questions and retorts to Bush's statements. There were a couple of times where he seemed to go with a canned response, as did his opponent, but at least he did not hesitate where Bush stumbled and was at a loss for words on quite a few occasions. Bush also visibly showed his confusion and frustration, which I feel is a sign of a man on the ropes.

Round 1 - Kerry.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There were actually two winners at the debate last night...

Jim Lehrer's performance as moderator at Thursday's presidential debate won instant praise.

"It was a substantive debate in part because of Lehrer's solid, workmanlike job of moving it along."

full article

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Jim Lehrer is a great journalist and a great debate moderator. PBS's NewsHour is the best news on television.

7. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting take...and it certainly makes sense. Although, I don't know if I would want my lawyer to stare at the jury with a blank face...of course in a courtroom he could recover from that easily.

I have debated on a national level, judged debates and speeches, and talk a lot for a living. This, obviously, was not a debate so it can be judged as simultaneous speeches with tiny little dabs of extemporaneous speaking. With that said, Bush lost.

Kerry was by far more compsed, organized, and broad in subjects handled with ease (although it was a very limited range, given the confines of the overall topic). Kerry, however, did not do a great job, just average, so it is like saying that the Clippers will be better than the Bobcats this year.

Kerry did a horrible job, especially in the beginning, clarifying his position and responding to criticisms that have followed him for most of the campaign. Bush through up softballs for Kerry to use as an excuse to clarify or set the record straight and instead he would generally let it pass, and then bring it up later. At that point, Bush had already brought it up multiple times and it was as if Kerry only answered as a "last resort."

Bush had way too many pauses, was too repetitive, and was his typical silly self...only this time without any charm.

Anyway, Kerry was better than Gore, but he was just average.

One thing - I have never seen Kerry speak with such confidence and passion as he did with the nuclear proliferation section. That is obviously his pet topic so is understandable, but if he showed that same energy with other subjects he most likely would be winning this thing. Too bad he is such a loser.