1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fraternity

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LongTimeFan, Sep 24, 2004.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

My friends and I started an anti-frat frat.

Sort of like Xi Omega at SHSU.

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Tell me about it, what about the assholes who wear those wrist sweat bands as a fashion statement?

#22 Oski2005, Sep 24, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2004
  3. Secret Agent 7

I pledged Sigma Chi back in '98. Two days before my "I-week" my reserve unit got activated so I couldn't attend. I transfered to another school the following semester. I always regretted not getting to finish w/ my pledge brothers.

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

FRAT CARS
    by the Big Boys

Cruisin' in their big cars
    And wastin' lots of gas
    When are they gonna learn
    That don't give 'em no class
    Big lots full of mama's wagons,
    Marquis, Trans-Ams, and Jeeps
    All paid for by daddy
    Ain't this life too cheap?

Frat cars, frat cars
    I can't stand those frat cars
    Crowding up the streets
    With all those stupid Greeks
    ****in' with the freaks
    Let's tow them away!

Hangin' out their T- tops
    And thinkin' that they're cool
    And drinkin' beer in Izods
    And actin' like a fool
    Frat cars, they're so useless
    Who needs them in our town
    If we get rid of those frat cars
    They'rell be no more frats around

Frat cars, frat cars
    I can't stand those frat cars
    Crowding up the streets
    With all those stupid Greeks
    ****in' with the freaks
    Let's tow them away!

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Tau Beta Pi. Yes, I was, and am, a nerd.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I was a member (actually the Treasurer) of the chapter at Rice my senior year. We didn't have the greek system at Rice. We have the ivy-league system of residential colleges.

7. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

bigtexx.. we are going towards residential colleges here as well, but have strong greek system...

it's possible to have both...but then again only the officers here I suppose actually ive in the houses..

8. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

I am actually a pledge right now for Phi Delta Theta at UT. its been very wortwhile so far.

9. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

Wow. It took a while for someone to say rent-a-friend.

Look, it's not for everyone and you know if it's not for you. So does everyone else. It's just a different type of cat. Not a worse or a better cat, just a different cat.

Sigma Chi, Fall 1993. I met my wife of ten years through Sigma Chi. I had 10 pledge brothers and all but two of us keep in touch weekly. To a man we are successful professionals (with the exception of me ;) )

It was, and is, a great experience for me. I recommend it for the people that are wondering if it is right for them. and if not a greek organizatino get involved in some organization. This four to six year period of your life should be a BLAST so take advantage of it and as someone on the hiring end of a company I can tell you that how well you develop as an adult is FAR more important than your GPA, your part time experience, your acadmeic achievements, or even your major and/or minor. All of that stuff is meaningless to me. But that's me.

In Hoc DD.

10. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

I go to UH and Im Sigma Pi. We just started up so I got to be a founding father. It really is a great experience especially if your going to a commuter school like UH. I under stand the stereotype of fraternity guys but quite honestly, every one of my brothers is like super down to earth. Regardless I recommend getting involved and joining at least one organization at school. It will probably be one of the best choices you make at College.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

12. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I go to UH but spend little extra time there. I've been wondering what kind of organizations there are to join, get involved in.

Not really the frat type. But not sure what else there is...

13. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Kappa Sigma here.

i've made so many life-long friends, met so many business connections, and have had the most incredible experiences that i couldn't even imagine not being a Kappa Sig.

"Drive it like you own it, wear it like you invented it, and frat it like it'll never go out of style."

14. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

You guys threw some great kamikazi parties on your house on the hill. I actually lived almost walking distance to that house for about three years.......back on Harris street. Man......the things I did back then.

15. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I was thinking of doing the same over here at SMU.

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow- I inspired a thread. ;)

The frat I'm pledging is actually off campus right now due to hazing from a couple years back; the suspension ends at the end of the semester, so they're really careful about hazing. Not to say that we get off completely easy, because we don't. Just better than they had it a couple years ago. I'm sort of a legacy as my uncle was in it (and an officer) at UT 25 years ago.

Lots of drinking, girls, sports and parties. Parties are usually pretty creative- the pledges have to build the big party, and we've started doing that even though it's about 2 months away. The build for that one is gigantic.

I wasn't sure if it was going to be right for me, but I felt it'd be easier to drop if I didn't like it than to regret not joining in the first place. So far, I feel I definitely made the right choice.

Random trivia- NBA commisioner David Stern was in this fraternity at Rutgers.

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i pledged the asian frat at UH. after 4 weeks i realized how ridiculous the thing was. i decided i wanted to drop it, they kept on insisting that i don't. but, eventually i just quit going to meetings.

none of them ever acknowledged me again. my heart was broken. :rolleyes:

yes, they do. i remember playing in a Bball tourney with the TKEs and the game was getting pretty physical. well, all the sh*thead rushees (about 12 of them) were on the sidelines. the whole time they were talking smack and thought they were all hardcore, trying to front. yea, it's quite easy to front when you got 15 motherf*ckers to back you up. none of them would have had the balls if they were alone.

18. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

nothing like not getting a bid

19. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

same thing.

20. Tyree

Tyree Member

which fraternity?