1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox 26] Leading candidate for new rockets analyst: Van Chancellor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by H-Town Info, Sep 23, 2004.

1. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Leading candidate for new rockets analyst: Van Chancellor

i going to miss calvin's antics but van could fit in well or matt bullard. but please no cynthia cooper

2. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

and also mark berman just reported it a few mins ago

3. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really don't like his voice. Oh well, maybe little Nikko will tell him what plays are being run.

4. houstoncart

houstoncart Member

Van Chancellor is a double No...Maybe a few games, but after the Comets season, his main focus will be getting this team together.

Although I would like him to step down from coaching, its not gonna happen.

5. houstoncart

houstoncart Member

I just thought about it....and The Rockets games arent all that close together. I do like his personality, and he does make a good color commentator.

6. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I don't like his voice, but I think I could get used to it.

Man I miss Calvin already!

7. SupermanSK

SupermanSK Contributing Member

VAN IS PROBABLY BETTER THAN BULLARD WHO HAS NO COLOR IN HIS COLOR COMMENTARY....AND A LOT BETTER THAN CYNTHIA COOP ALSO

8. tigereye

tigereye Member

His personality is perfect for the job.

His knowledge is perfect for the job.

His voice is NOT perfect for the job.

Why?

Tim, think about it. Can his voice handle the workload. I know he is a coach that through season after seaon with the WNBA. But for one, an 82 game NBA season is a far bigger load to take on, especially after the season the Comets just had. Furthermore, the WNBA doesnt have nearly as many "back-to-back nighters" as the average NBA season has. This will put alot of stress and strain on that voice. Almost every season there were nights when either Bill or Calvin lost their voice. They almost always seem to happen in Denver for some strange reason. At Van's age, can his voice, or better yet, can he handle it.

I think "Bull" is the way to go simply becuase he is younger and will be much fresher then Van, who is coming off of the WNBA workload.

9. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Van is a perfect choice, I always liked when he filled in for Calvin in the past. He knows the Rockets well, and his voice is more funny than annoying to me. Those "little nicko" commercials are hilrious. :D

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Maybe Van can get one of those throat microphones. How's that sound. Color Commentary as done by Stephen Hawking.

11. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Give'em a try. Lets see how it goes.

12. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

:( So no more Murph....

VAn is decent I gots to say, i wont be mad at all.

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I dont see how anyon could be mad at the thought of Van doing it....he seems like a real personable guy...his voice is a little funny....but other than that he is knowledgable and easy going...

that said.....I still would prefer Bull.

in order of preference...

Murph
    Bull
    Van
    Bill Walton
    Cynthia
    ;)

14. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

walton, nope no, never, coops over walton, that man is a little looooney

15. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

The problem with Van Chancellor is that his accent is completely incomprehensible. Like the defensive coordinator in Waterboy. I've interviewed him before, and you basically need closed captioning. He pronounces Cooper "Cuh-per." For his sake--and the sake of the English language--I'm glad we traded Piatkowski.

16. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

actually....I've never been that big a Walton fan...I was using him to make a point....AnyoneButCoop
    (sorry AB:()

I respect her like nobodies bizneess for her play for the Comets.....but she just flatout dont cut it as someone I would want to listen to thruout the Rockets grueling 82+ game season.

17. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Oh man, if this is true, what a @#%*ing joke. I don't want to start hammering on the Comets and the WNBA in general, but being a WNBA coach doesn't qualify you to do color on a NBA broadcast. Chancellor has no insight on the mind of the NBA player or coach.

Qualifications aside, I hate his folksy charm. This is a vast, urban, multi-cultural city and the stars on our team are international icons - Chancellor doesn't fit with our image. With shtick like his, he should only be doing color for West Virginia cow-tipping competitions.

18. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

I'm quite sure that he understands the game of basketball. It's not like he's the locker room coach or anything.

#18 DavidS, Sep 23, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2004
  19. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

TWO THUMBS UP!! I've always loved listening to his Rockets commentary whenever he's on 610, and having him on the broadcast would be perfect! I feel badly for Bullard -- he should replace Cooper -- he'd be perfect in that role.

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i like mike newlin as a replacement. he's got a little bit of a lisp but he has a sense of humor and is also knowledgeable. calvin will be EXTREMELY missed but whenever newlin was there i thought he did a good job.