1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jokic going down to Rudy just upped Clingan stock

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, May 19, 2024.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think Clingan is going to be a good pro. He’s one of the few prospects I’ve watched pretty closely for 2 yrs. I’m 100% convinced he will be an excellent defensive player, and good passer, but admittedly I think the offensive upside is a big question.

Don't like the fit with Sengun, love the fit with Bari. I think you only draft Clingan over Sarr, Risacher, or Sheppard if you have him in a higher tier than those guys, who seem like better fits with our core prospects.

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Jokic also put 11 fouls on Gobert and KAT.

The only Sengun lesson to learn is that he needs a legit backup so he doesn’t have to play 47 minutes.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

A slower version of Jon Koncak is a tree stump.

B-Bob, cml750, theDude and 1 other person like this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Of course it is look at the team we had 3 yrs ago and look at it now. Apart from OKC no other team was able to turn around their team this quick.

cbass likes this.
  5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Minnesota’s defense is a team defense and it’s incredible… however not reliant on funneling everything to the big man ala old school 90’s style nba D. Naz Reid was a huge part of much of their big stops down the stretch too, and of course it all starts with what Ant and Conley are doing to lock down the perimeter.

I like the idea of Clingan and he could still be the way to go, but making the assumption that we drop everything to just find the tallest dude in the draft because of Gobert and the TWolves is uhhh yeah… crazy. Gobert is important for them for sure but there’s a lot more there than just a tall dude in the middle.

xaos and RudyTBag like this.
  6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Never mind that Minnesota had 4 good shooters around Gobert at all times.

We have trouble even getting 3 good shooters on the floor as we are.

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Kel'el Ware

Verbal Christ likes this.
  8. eman

eman Contributing Member

My wish: Reed at 3, Jamal at 44

9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Edey is legit and the clear cut best player in the draft. Clingan is legitimately slow and has the upside potential of Walker Kessler at best. Edey has the upside potential of Yao Ming. Easy choice and once individual workouts occur it will be obvious who the better talent is.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

3&D wins.

xaos likes this.
  11. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

From CBS and I love how they call it the “The narrative”:
    Much of the conversation in the NCAA Tournament was about Edey vs. Donovan Clingan. The narrative was that Clingan was more mobile and thus a better defender. Even if I still personally subscribe to that theory, the numbers didn't necessarily back it up here in Chicago. In fact, Edey ranked ahead of him in lane agility time, three-quarter sprint, max vertical leap, and standing vertical leap while measuring an absolutely massive 7-foot-3.75 without shoes with a 7-foot-10.75 wingspan and a 9-foot-7 standing reach.

12. cml750

cml750 Member

I do not think the OP actually watched Denver/Minnesota game 7. Other than missing a ton of wide open 3's, Jokic was dominant. Gobert was not much a of a factor slowing him down. The Timberwolves won this game with a swarming team defense. Add to that I think Denver got too complacent when they built up a 20 point lead in the first half

13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Clingan is going to be a very good player in the NBA. You KNOW he's going to be a game changing force on the defensive end. Not a bad choice for 3rd overall -- especially if there's no alpha dog in this draft. Clingan's floor is the highest in the draft... and he's a much safer pick than the two Frenchies... The guy has produced as well -- two national championships... a winner.

And if you dissect the thought process of the Rockets -- they did trade for Stephen Adams... so they aren't allergic to the idea of a big center without an outside shot... Clingan is 4 inches taller than Adams. I'd be JUST FINE if he's the pick.

htownrox1 likes this.
  14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Jokic didn't lose due to Gobert's defense, Jokic lost due to a cold shooting night from three, for both himself and his team.

Bobbythegreat and AlperenSengun like this.
  15. xaos

xaos Member

Yup this ^

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Which shows the importance of having players who can shoot.

17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Those guys can shoot, they just missed wide open shot after wide open shot. It sucks, but that’s the variance of basketball.

Let’s also not forget that the biggest reason wolves won was murray got injured in the previous round, it’s not like they had any chance in hell against a healthy Denver team

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Right, but my point was that the Rockets are one of the worst shooting teams in the NBA.

19. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly! If Jokic hits a couple of early 3's, then Minnesota can't pack the paint to stop the cutters. By Gobert sagging into the paint, the perimeter defenders can over play the 3 point shot. 1 for 9 on wide open 3's by Jokic was the difference. Gobert laid off Jokic to help stop everyone else and it worked. We already know that this is how good defensive teams stop the Rockets - lay off Sengun and pack the paint and dare the rest of the team to hit closely contested 3's.

Commodore likes this.
  20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Size has always mattered in the Playoffs. Because the game is slowed down and it becomes more physical, you need bigger players.