1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what is the highest pick we could get for jalen in this draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheBeastSystem, May 15, 2024.

1. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

That’s what i said, a worse version of jalen showed solid improvement in year 4 so hopefully jalen does the same

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I get what you thought you said, but the "worse version of Jalen" was better at essentially everything than Jalen even currently is.

The two players have the same main problem, they both have low BBIQ's and actual IQ's along with highly questionable work ethic. It's just that the one who could shoot, had a better handle, and could play a bit of defense just had more natural talent.

I wouldn't want either of them on the Rockets next season in a perfect world, one because of off court issues, the other because of on court issues.

3. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

meh, kpj was worse then jalen every year by every metric

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm talking skills though. He had a tighter handle, he had a better bag leading to him getting blocked going to the rim A LOT less, he was a much better shooter, he was not a good defender, but significantly better than Jalen.

Those are the kinds of things I was talking about.

Of course, it's irrelevant now because KPJ is out of the league entirely, and Jalen Green is a draft bust.

Thinking either of them are likely to change at this point is foolish and it's best to just move on....unfortunately no one is willing to trade for Jalen.

5. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

And on the flip side, if he comes in next year and breaks out as a future star, are you going to eat crow and admit you all know absolutely nothing about basketball?

Mathloom likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I remember when people said this same BS at this time last year when they were hyping up a "3rd year leap" that never happened.

Hopefully this is the last year we have to hear this BS

BallSoHarden likes this.
  7. jogo

jogo Member

Insinuating that I know nothing about basketball shows how insecure you are. You are such a fanboy with a weak mind.

Let's set parameters because you are so bold to talk smack on a message board.

ESPN has 36 SGs last year under stats, tops had 51.3% FG, last was 38.5%. For Jalen to be the top 1/3 of SGs he would have to shoot 47.1% FG. Will he do that? I think no way, but since you know so much about basketball then I guess you think yes.

3 PT% has 50 SGs, tops is 46.1% and last is [Jalen Green] 33.2%. Top 16.5 or 1/3 is 39.4%. I say he shoots under that. You, since you know so much about basketball go over.

So Over/Under 47.1% FG and Over/Under 39.4% 3PT.

That's the bet. Jalen needs to exceed those averages a the end of 2025, that'll be around 30 games. If you take the bet then you have confidence in what you're talking about. If you don't accept this bet then you're just talking smack and don't believe what you're saying.

Your sig for one month when you lose:

"I, Dobizzle, have made a mistake. I talked smack on a Rockets board and got called out. I admit being a Jalen fanboy and letting that cloud my judgment. I now realize I was wrong and admit I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT BASKETBALL."

You only have to keep this up for a month. Be glad that I'm going soft on you.

8. jogo

jogo Member

Ah yes, the snide remark. Of course I watch games, I'm a Rockets fan!

All this "improvement" by Jalen hasn't made him a better player by any metric. And it hasn't improved our team. Again, a virtually meaningless 11 games stretch doesn't hold up to an 82 game season. And I watched almost all 82 games, not just those 11 games.

The ability to score a lot efficiently is the purpose of a SG in the NBA. You know this but act like it's not important because you have such a crush on Jalen.

Take the same bet I gave to Dobizzle a few posts later. I know you won't take it, though, because you just want to whine about how FG% doesn't matter.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

You said he was just getting played based on draft position alone. Ime was the one deciding who got minutes so you think he doesn't know how much PT Jalen Green deserves? Just ridiculous.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, he's always gotten his starting position and role based on his draft.

The most Ime could do was bench him in the 4th quarter, so that's what he did often while the team tried to trade him but no one was interested.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Im pretty sure Ime controls his own rotations. Why can he bench Jalen Green for entire 4Qs but is forced to start him? Who do you think is forcing Ime to do anything?

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Haha the "Luke Kennard has a higher TS% than Jalen" crew

@fchowd0311 has been educating these people about the difference between spot up shooters and 3-level playmaking forever but they just won't absorb it. They're so embroiled in finger pointing about the two years no one improved.

How many times does Udoka have to come out and politely (without taking a full dump on Silas/Stone) describe those two years as useless? He's said it several times already.

So what are the haters mad about? That an 18 year old star athlete didn't have more wisdom than his GM, HC and PG? That the 18 year old by all accounts worked on his game but it didn't produce good results?

Think about this as Jalen's agent. You know the g league was useless and you have to write it off. Now the team that drafted you wants you to kick ass in a toxic development environment while they do less than any other organization has done for its young guys. Then they make it worse in your second season, dumping more vets to go after Wemby and Wemby/Silver gave us the middle finger. Now the team is like "you haven't really reached your full potential".

Then you come into your THIRD season and you're ready to go after a summer of demonstrably hard work. We decide to run the slowest team with the most packed paint in the NBA for over half the season. FML.

At the end of that third season our tough as nails coach says: Jalen is so resilient, never let the frustration boil over, always kept working and trying. He's figured it out, just wish for the sake of our playoff hopes that it had come sooner but every player develops at their own pace.

This extreme resilience Green has shown will be a big part of his future. It will show up again and again. I sincerely understand why at a glance it can look like he just doesn't have it. I do not however understand how a Rockets fan could have been ******** on Silas and Stone and KPJ then be oblivious to why development was happening at a snail's pace. You're a Rockets fan. You know what went down here.

They don't like to be called haters though. They're just being "realistic" and looking at the "data" they say. Sure.

This is their last stand. They better enjoy this long summer. They're lucky the season ended with Jalen in the midst of figuring out the final step: how to beat aggressive double teams. That process will conclude at the start of next season and we'll finally have the Jalen we should have had a year ago. With a better 3PT shot and better defense than we ever predicted. They can't say we didn't try to educate them.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Anthony Edwards failed your test. Think about what that means about your test.

I suggest to use TS% (which factors in FG%, 3PT% and FT's) who take at least x number of unassisted shots per game at the SG/SF position next season. That's a very very high bar for Jalen to clear.

Can I please join the bet? I've been trying to get someone into a bet and to your advantage I've been described as an unrealistic optimist so you should be able to win this fairly easily. I'm happy to use that signature if I lose.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So Dillingham is projected to be a poor man's Trae Young, would that be good enough for that mediocre draft......

15. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Feel free to take up the bet, I didn't even see the response to me and I think it's all idiotic so go right ahead haha.

Mathloom likes this.
  16. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Lol dude, you don't get to just dictate idiotic nonsensical benchmarks and act like it makes you the authority on anything. As Mathloom said, Anthony Edwards would've failed your test, literally the next big thing. All your "bet" proves is that, as I said, you don't know anything about basketball. Have fun with Mathloom humiliating you though, should be a fun watch.

17. jogo

jogo Member

Sure, let's find a bet that makes sense using TS%.

Mathloom likes this.
  18. jogo

jogo Member

You don't have the guts to make a bet. Got it. I wasn't surprised in the least.

BallSoHarden and DaDakota like this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You keep starting them so that you don't completely tank his trade value....you know, because they were trying to trade him at the time. Unfortunately his value was too low so no one wanted him.

Ime's not an idiot, if he wants to get rid of Jalen, and he does, he can't take away his starting job....but he can try to win a few games by benching him in the 4th.

BallSoHarden and AroundTheWorld like this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Pretty sure Jalen wants a Max contract and I doubt the Rox believe he has earned it....so a choice will be made this offseason - either let him go into the season - and he tries to prove he is worth it (Rarely works) or you trade him in the offseason so he can go somewhere that might believe he should have one (preferred)....

So I believe we should trade Jalen he isn't that good, doesn't have the winners mentality and is easily replaceable with what we have already on the roster. He offers no superstar potential - just another guy.

You don't give Beta players max contracts.

DD

#220 DaDakota, May 19, 2024
    Last edited: May 19, 2024
    AroundTheWorld and clutchdabear like this.