1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zak Edey = Yao Ming 2.0 ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 12, 2024.

?

Yao 2.0?

1. Ming

9 vote(s)
    16.4%
  2. Hasheem Thabeet 2.0

30 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. Hartenstein 2.0

16 vote(s)
    29.1%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, nothing like Joker but an Canadian Asian Marc Gasol.

#41 daywalker02, May 15, 2024
    Last edited: May 15, 2024
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

I was surprised by Edey's agility numbers--I don't buy the shooting just because he shot well in a drill though.

I wouldn't trade down for him. #3 is vastly, vastly more valuable than the territory where Edey make sense in this class (late teens at highest). But I wouldn't mind trading up for him into the late first round if he's still there. Can't imagine the price would be too crazy in this draft class.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

He doesn’t have Yao’s shooting touch, but has a much stronger upper body. And he can be a 2-way player so Thabeet is a bad comp. I don’t see his game comping to I Hart, who is more mobile. I think he’s a unique player who we really haven’t seen yet. I have come around on him and believe if he ends up in the right system, he’ll carve out a solid role in the nba. I wouldn’t take him in the lotto relative to the other prospects available, but if he’s still there in the 20’s someone is going to get a good value.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

He may not be a full time shooter but he can take 1-2 shots a game kinda like Jock or Sengun. As long as he hits those 25% or better that's good enough for spacing.

His agility in the drills moves him up for me for sure because this dude is already 7-3 without shoes. As long as he isn't a stiff he can be a defensive or at least a deterring presence on his size alone and I think his type of C is the right complement to Sengun long term.

Of course it wouldn't make sense just to trade down for him we can get another lotto pick or future assets on top.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like Zach Edey as a human. I don't think he will ever be a shooter, but I think he loves the game and is a hard worker. A total PRO.

Would love to have him as a backup 5 option to contrast with Alperen.

6. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Not even Yi Jianlian

tinman likes this.
  7. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

No need to trade down, just find a non lottery team in his draft range willing to sell the pick.
    This draft is supposed to be weak, so maybe it can come cheap (2030 first?).
    As somebody said, he can serve as a 12 min/game situational guy against the Wembys type, or to punish small ball on offense.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

A unknown draft pick 6 years from now for freaking Edey???????????????????

good lord

9. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Listening to many of the assessment of Edey, it seems so emotional. Nothing based in fact. Looking at his actual stats, his accomplishments, his rate of improvement, he screams as a top 5 pick. I have no doubt the guy will have a long and serviceable NBA career. I'm not sure he'll be a superstar, but I think he can easily be a key contributor on a contending team.

If Yao were in this year's draft, the narrative would be identical as it was at the time. I'd still draft Yao #1, ...and plenty of naysayers would be there telling me I'm an idiot.

----------
    Here's a few quotes about Jokic's draft prospects:

"Conditioning may also be a problem. Looks like he gets burnt pretty quickly during up-and-down games. Production drops." - Kevin O'Connor

"Perhaps this sounds harsh, but Jokic is being talked up as an NBA prospect and it is hard to see how he gets there unless he can really improve his athleticism. Given how his body looks, that does not seem to be in the offing even if he does hit the weights." - Nate Duncan

"An average athlete lacking great speed and leaping ability … Foot speed is a big liability. He may struggle to stay in front of NBA athletes at the center position" - Stevan Petrovic

"Jokic's weaknesses revolve around his bottom-tier athleticism. While he moves his feet pretty well from point A to point B, he lacks the quickness and vertical agility that the rest of the league owns." - Daniel O'Brien, Bleacher Report

-Nikola Jokic draft scouting reports: How 'average athlete' proved experts wrong and became an NBA superstar | Sporting News

10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Just for giggles, I just did a quick analysis of the 2014 draft. Of the 60 players drafted that year, only 35% of them are playing in the league today. In the top 10, 4 players are lo longer in the league, including Jabari Parker (#2) who is playing for FC Barcelona this year. Only two players selected below Jokic are still playing, neither of which I recognize.

Of the centers selected that year that are still playing:
    #3: Embiid
    #16: Nurkic
    #25: Capela
    #41: Nokic

Nice to see the Rockets make that list.

11. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Jokic is the 2nd best passer in history, has probably the best touch in history. He also has the best hands i have ever seen, is one of the smartest bball iq guys ever. He’s the most flawless offensive player the sport has ever seen. You think edey has that?

12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Sure, because teams are going to adjust their defense to account for a 25% low volume three point shooter. Do you see Sengun opening up spacing with his 3 point shooting?

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Did any of the teams in Jocic's draft think he had that???

Rocket River

14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

He didn’t play in college so there was way less about him. Since people have seen edey, you can safely say he doesn’t have it

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yes. Why you think coach tells him to shoot from 3 instead of faking and driving? Why you think Giannis is encouraged to bomb from 3 even if he clearly sucks at it?

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is just as dumb as people comparing Reed Sheppard to Steph Curry but people still did it.

17. Big Time Titan

I like Edey. If this kid could get coached up he could be Yao and I give that as a compliment. Ceiling better than Yao, floor is Thabeet.

I like him just don’t love him at #3.

Rocket River likes this.
  18. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

So based on your logic, the Rockets should have no spacing issues? Really?

Those guys are encouraged to shoot in the hopes that they will improve. Do you really believe that defenders are not sagging off of Giannis or Sengun when they are behind the arc? The Rockets encourage Amen to shoot open threes when he gets them. Do you also believe that he spaces the floor too?

Teams would gladly have Giannis or Sengun launch all the 3s that they can rather than take shots at the rim. That's just common sense. You take away the high percentage shots. A guy shooting 25% from 3 is equivelent to 38% on 2s. If an opponent is shooting 38% on two point shots, would you try and prevent him from taking those shots? You'd rather allow paths to the rim for high percentage shots? Of, course not, you'd let them take all the low percentage shots the like.

If a guy is shooting 25% and taking 1 or 2 3s per game, that means that he is averaging one make every other game. You're bright enough to know that a defense isn't going to change what works best against a players strengths, just because the make a 3 every other game.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

You realize there are degrees to having spacing right? It's not either you have Steph Curry or you have Shaq.

Being willing to take 3s already provides spacing. It's not a lot of spacing, but some is better than none. Your argument is pretty dumb you don't improve shooting during games you improve via watching tape and practice. If Sengun wants to improve his threes taking 1-2 a game it'll take years before he sees any improvement.

Giannis is already 29 I'm pretty sure all his coaches have given up on him being a good shooter at this point. They still tell him to take 3s. Even WB has the license to take 3s and he is one of the biggest bricklayers in the NBA. All these are for spacing purposes and not because they think Giannis and WB will still improve.

As for the reason why obviously if Sengun will stand at the 3 every possession then opponents will happily let him shoot. However if Sengun only does that a couple times that can cause a wrinkle on opponent defenses. Sengun can hit a 3 every four times he takes it. If the game is close you really gonna leave it to chance? That's why teams still guard him even if they know he'd not a good shooter.

Look at this Giannis takes a 3 first time opponent doesn't guard him. Luckily he makes it the opponent starts guarding him every 3 pt attempt afterwards. You think they don't know he is a career 28.6% from 3?

#59 roslolian, May 17, 2024
    Last edited: May 17, 2024
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Big men who aren't exceptionally mobile for their size and can't shoot from outside are a dime a dozen. You can always sign or trade for one if you really need one.

Sarr is the only big man who fits the "mobile" category and he's the only big man in this draft I would spend a #3 on.