1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ronel Blanco sticky stuff suspension?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Radricky, May 14, 2024.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah it is a joke. They have a rosin bag laying by the mound. Pitchers have regularly peppered their arms with the bag.

2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

On the bright side, it will help reduce Blanco's innings.

He was on pace for 175+ after 125 last year and several years of under 60 before that.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Pedro Martinez 3-4 years ago talking about rosin and sweat and using it for extra grip and spin.

4. Radricky

Radricky Member

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

BS like this makes it hard for me to follow baseball.

MLB favoritism makes me angry, and I don't like being angry.

Nook, raining threes and desihooper like this.
  6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Will Yamamoto get his glove back?

Nevermind, they didn’t take it they just make him use another one

F em all, let’s kick all their asses again

8. Qan

Qan Member

Whole thing is stupid and I am not one bit surprise.

raining threes likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...e/ronel-blanco-suspension-appeal-19462734.php

“If I appealed, I think it was just going to prolong the time that it would take for me to be able to return,” Blanco said through an interpreter Thursday. “And I just want to get back and help the team as quick as possible.”

Blanco maintained that the substance in his glove for which he was ejected was rosin mixed with sweat. Tuesday, Blanco said he believed rosin he rubbed on his left arm to combat sweat had mixed with sweat and gotten into the glove. Thursday, Blanco said he knows MLB’s rules regarding pitchers’ use of foreign substances.

“I just didn’t know that you couldn’t put (rosin) on the non-throwing arm,” Blanco said.

The exact language of MLB’s rules does mention rosin and the glove. One rule states that a pitcher “may use the rosin bag for the purpose of applying rosin to his bare hand or hands.” The latter would indicate that putting rosin on the non-pitching hand is allowed. The rule also states, however, that a pitcher may not “apply rosin from the bag to his glove or dust any part of his uniform with the rosin bag,” indicating that a glove containing rosin is a violation.

Asked what he will do differently, Blanco said: “Just be more cautious with it. I sweat a lot. Throughout the game, I usually go through three jerseys. So I just need to be more careful with things like that.”

Radricky and InTheGroove like this.
  10. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

3 jerseys in a game... main character energy

City of Houston & the fanbase is behind you hermano...

scott_summers, Nook, Radricky and 2 others like this.
  11. Radricky

Radricky Member

You can literally see the gunk all over his hand

No Worries and desihooper like this.
  12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Can't he pitch during the appeal?

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He technically could have remained on the active roster while appealing, but the most likely outcome would have been that the appeal would take <5 days, meaning he would just be delaying the start of the suspension to not include his off days; the net result would have been him missing 2 starts instead of just 1.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whether Blanco could get his suspension appealed the PR damage has been done. All of those who hate the Astros will just use this to keep on claiming the Stros are tainted.

jim1961 likes this.
  15. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

i like ronel's mentality. just get it over with and get back to help the team as much as possible.

similar situation when framber's was called for a balk. instead of continue arguing, framber just shoo'd the ump and got back to pitching.

you can only control what you can control.

16. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

i honestly love it, anything to give the team the us against the world mentality is a good thing. It's worth him missing 1 game

IdStrosfan likes this.
  17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That and I see lowering his innings as a long term good thing. Should he continue doing what he's doing, it'll be way more innings than he's ever pitched. Nothing wrong with taking a break here and there.

IdStrosfan likes this.
  18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Eh. Nationally, this story is already starting to fade away. By Monday, most people outside of Houston won't even remember who Blanco is.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not the biggest story and you're probably right that it will fade away. It just adds though to the view that the Stros are cheaters and continue to be cheaters even though we've seen several other pitchers get called on similar stuff with no consequence.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Jesus… the man’s hand looked like he had been digging in his garden. Not surprised, Glasnow has been very honest about his use of substances.
    I kind of preferred it before there was film and angles of everything, back when Gaylord Perry and every other starting pitcher over 35 with a blown out arm found a way to get hitters out throwing 80 mph. We all knew they were cheating but couldn’t prove it - shout out to Frank Tanana and Zach Greinke.

IdStrosfan likes this.