1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

19.4%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

9.2%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.3%
  4. Donovan Clingan

8.8%
  5. Zach Edey

2.7%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.3%
  7. Rob Dillingham

5.0%
  8. Reed Sheppard

41.2%
  9. Nikola Topić

9.2%
  10. Dalton Knecht

0.9%
  1. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

You have the players in front of you, arguing about what the average 3rd pick looks like is besides the point other than he'll get paid a bit more than you'd like for his first few years.

Right now I'd take Sheppard 1 and Risacher 2.

The other dubious argument is the BPA one because quite frankly, you don't know. it's not a binary choice that this guy will definitely be steady but won't be a star and that guy will definitely suck for 3 years and then be a star. you just don't know, sometimes the guys you don't think end up a star pop into one too. If Reed Sheppard is just one of those guys that even though it doesn't look like he should be able to do it, just always gets to his spots anyway on the ball, then he might be ****ing Steve Nash lite for all we know. The limited time he was on ball in Kentucky was actually quite effective in general, just that he's by far their most effective off-ball guy.

Also, opportunity matters, and fit obviously matters to some extent, taking a full team of 6'0 guys or a full team of centers will obviously not work, even just taking all wings doesn't really work, look at the Raptors.

The BPA regardless of fit is only viable if you think that guy has a serious chance of being the best of that group (i.e he'll end up being you're
    #1 guy. an MVP / first-team caliber type. ) I doubt anyone seriously thinks anyone in this class has more than a slim chance in hell of doing that.

Reed is like an extreme outlier analytics guy, one needs to ram this in, and he did it as a Freshman. Yes the physical profile gives you pause that's why this is even a discussion, if he's just like a true 6'3 guy with 6'8 wingspan black guy or something it's not even a question he'll go #1 in his own tier and you'll take him even if you're the Hawks with a million guards.

I would think his median outcome is like Fred, at least offensively, he's probably not going to be as good of a on ball defender though, but there is actually a fairly obvious path to him being like a couple time all star if he just end up being able to be on ball a bit more than he was in Kentucky without massively sacrificing the efficiency. and if he turns out he's actually better on ball than that eventually, we're actually talking about some ridiculous comps.

joshuaao, YaoMac09, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  2. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

He is bad on defense but our assistant coaches didn’t even check data for the opponent. He might not be a great defender but offensively he’s gonna be a beast.

rfrocket likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Not really, I'm replying to a string of posts that describes Sheppard already so I didn't have to re-describe him.

Of course we don't know these things 100% for certain but that doesn't mean everyone has the same chance of achieving their potential. That's why players get picked in a certain order.

Some things are more difficult to improve. Giving a person PG or playmaking skills can take a long time. Improving the 3PT shot of an 87% FT shooter is not nearly that difficult. So it makes sense you'd prefer one situation over the other.

Personally I wouldn't be happy with Sheppard at #3. He's certain to be a PG in the NBA and he's far behind Topic in the most important skill for a PG. It's looking like Topic will be the best PG in this draft so if you're getting a PG get the best one at the most important thing obviously.

#1343 Mathloom, May 16, 2024
    Last edited: May 16, 2024
  4. Arnel

Arnel Member

Draft him, lol I approve

5. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

If Alex Sarr becomes available, yes sir

If taken, any one or combination of Ron Holland, Yves Missi, or Ulrich Comche.

I feel the Rockets need a big who defends/blocks shots ala Dikembe or Hakeem.

If they will acquire a guard, maybe Mark Spears of Alabama or Stephon Castle of UConn.

6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Guys the best player available mindset is the only professional one. There are no GM's who would dare to even openly say they're picking for a particular skill or position. For any GM, that's a fire-able offense. It's not still being discussed or anything like that. I don't know why fans make it seem like it's still a defensible position. It's been true for decades now.

Aydge and saleem like this.
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What's plan C if the worst should happen & Risacher / Sheppard go 1 & 2?

Castle?
    Dillingham?
    Cody Williams?
    Knecht?

I don't want any of the bigs and you can send Buzelis & Holland back to the G league to suck.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If Risacher and Sheppard are gone, then Houston must grab Saar and retain him at all costs. I don't think, it will happen. It's the best scenario for the Rockets. An absolute no brainer. Saar doesn't need to replace Sengun.

9. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

Assume Sarr goes first

1. zachary risacher
    2. Reed
    3. Clingan
    4. Buzelis

that’s my draft board order for stone to take

Bogey likes this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Rob Dillingham also didn’t start.

11. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

You have to beware of lone (or 2 as teams have more than 1) scouts. Who's to say this isn't a Portland scout(s) that wants him to fall. Now when you get a lot of scouts saying the same thing...

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Please order your top 3 picks by BPA. Or find three top drafts experts who even agree.

When BPA is not definitive, teams have groupings / tiers. Within those groupings, what’s wrong with fit being the deciding factor?

13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I agree but I was pinpointing his evaluation and that he was off base

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's only true if there is a clear BPA, if players are viewed as about the same, fit and needed skillset are effectively tiebreakers.

No competent GM that has a team with 4 centers and no guards picks a 5th center if there is a guard available that is viewed as being about the same talent level.

If they see the center as a can't miss generational talent... sure, maybe they pick him and completely restructure their team around that player. Short of that, they're passing on the big man.

clutchdabear likes this.
  15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with that, as long as the overarching principle is BPA.

My contention is that STARTING an analysis by describing the gaps in your roster will invariably distort your analysis.

don grahamleone, Aydge and heypartner like this.
  16. MystikArkitect

His defense is so comically bad that it offsets his incredible offense. He looks like what we wished Jalen looked like on offense. But he has 6th Man written all over him with that matador defense. He's tiny as well.

Depending in where he goes he could be another Lillard/Mitchell. But there's a reason those guys never won anything.

RollingWave likes this.
  17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I'm using #3 in trade for Paul George, but if that doesn't work, Zach Edey.

Can trade back a few spots and take Edey or Dalton Knecht or just don't
    fool around and go ahead and select Edey. What the heck? All of these
    prospects have issues and are a chance.

Defense
    Edey can be used in drop coverage, 7'5" (in shoes), while Sengun guards an
    area on the perimeter much like how the T-Wolves did this past season.

T-Wolves finished #1 in DRtg at 108.4....Nuggets finished #8 while using
    Jokic in Drop Coverage. Rockets finished #10 but Edey would probably
    move the Rockets to top 5.

Offense
    In order for Sengun and Edey to coexist on the court at the same time, one has
    to be able to shoot 3's (for spacing purposes). Before the combine my guess
    was Sengun would be the one I count on to hit an open 3. Now Edey has
    proven to me (this combine and previous yr combine) that he can/could
    hit 3's if left open as did Marc Gasol.

Even better if both Edey and Sengun hit 3's at a decent clip. Rockets
    would be unguardable. Any smaller player defending Sengun or Edey
    on the perimeter gets isolated and forced to defend that big in the
    post.

Healthy Yoa Ming would be so dominant in today's NBA.....Edey would be
    a version of that.....possibly while hitting 3's.
    -----------------------------

Combine
    Lane Agility

Edey (11.19)
    Sarr (11.43)
    Clingan (12.06)

Shuttle Run
    Edey (3.01)
    Sarr (3.23)
    Clingan (3.38)

3/4 Sprint
    Sarr (3.23)
    Edey (3.42)
    Clingan (3.46)

Standing Vertical
    Sarr (30.5)
    Edey (26.0)
    Clingan (25.5)

Max Vertical Leap
    Sarr (37.0)
    Edey (31.5)
    Clingan (29.0)

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-strength-agility?SeasonYear=2024-25

#1357 ApacheWarrior, May 16, 2024
    Last edited: May 16, 2024
    don grahamleone likes this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I do think Edey is going to be better than people think.
    Sarr is bouncy but not quick.

RollingWave and nejyh like this.
  19. Good Times

Good Times Member

I’m sold on Buzelis. We need to keep Amen at PG which would limit the need for Reed or Dilingham. You could argue to play either of them at SG but then it takes away the advantage of having Amen’s size out there as they would have to switch on defense. Topic has good size but his defense needs a lot of work. He is a good playmaker but we have Amen and Sengun for that, which leaves Topic as a shooter which he isn’t today. As odd as it sounds but we need another big wing that has length to shoot over defenders and pass the ball into the post for Sengun. Buzelis has the length at 6’10 and moves well off ball to work with Sengun’s game. Risacher would be a good fit here but he’s likely going to Washington. I wouldn’t mind Castle here either but buzelis length as a triple threat gives him a chance to be something special one day.

pippendagimp likes this.
  20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I think it's worse that they didn't talk up any names. It's a red flag that you name every prospect but one in the same sort of group that would be all similarly linked. Ala Orlando w/ Banchero.