1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

18.7%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

9.3%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.6%
  4. Donovan Clingan

8.8%
  5. Zach Edey

2.6%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.3%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.9%
  8. Reed Sheppard

41.9%
  9. Nikola Topić

8.9%
  10. Dalton Knecht

1.1%
  1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Sheppard, Topic or Sarr if he somehow falls.

Clingan IF the FO has some perfect deal lined up that turns Sengun into a (not 35 year old) star at a different position, AND won’t be committing to Sengun long term (aka won’t extend or match large offer in FA).

2. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Oh brother

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Reed put up a better BPM at 19 than Jimmer did at 22. Was also a miles better defender.

I'll say this, Reed is one of the very few White American guards I've seen come out of college as a Freshman. Usually they come out as Juniors and Seniors, which makes intra-racial comparisons pretty tough.

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

Sheppard sounds like a seasoned vet already in interviews, if this whole playing basketball thing doesn’t work out he can transition directly to the coaching staff probably. What a contrast to the Mumble rappers we have seen.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Not using his 42" vertical I see.

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why would he?

7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Why would he be using his explosion on a jumper. That is one technique issue Jalen has made some progress on but still goes regresses. Jumping too high on a jumper is dangerous and makes it hard to control your body and mechanics.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  8. No Worries

This does not sound like a PG. Sheppard NBA future is at PG or he should not be the #3 pick.

I think the best light we can put on Sheppard's PG skills is that he did play some backup PG ... on a good college team ... behind a better, heading-to-the-NBA PG.

Can Sheppard be a above average NBA PG who shoots 40+% 3s? He might but he has a long road ahead of him.

Would the Rockets regardless of the draft position be a good team to develop Sheppard? I think yes. He could play limited minutes as a backup PG for the next two years and develop his skills ... but ... if the Ime and the Rockets are deeply committed to playing Amen as the Rockets future PG instead, Sheppard playing a backup combo guard behind FVV/Amen + JG4/Cam is a poor fit for the #3 pick.

9. Y2JT

Y2JT Member

Thank you! I am really happy about this. Simply because he didn't mention Reed. Hopefully they take Risacher to save us from ourselves after what basketballmind said.

10. No Worries

That was my point. What good is a 42" vertical if Sheppard is making his money behind the 3 point line.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Because he does more than that.

12. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

13. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

Trade the pick for what?

Reed Sheppard provides a need in elite shooting efficiency for the Rockets. Jimmer was never the defender, in college or NBA or international, as Reed shown his only year in college.

Does not really matter this is likely a weak class. In this draft class, Sheppard is debatablely top 5 with Sarr and Risacher likely top 2. With the lack of separation in the draft talent pool, Rockets should draft BPA which feels a need.

Arnel and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. j@amc

j@amc Member

If Washington takes Sheppard, they'll pair him with Jordan Poole, Landry Shamet, Jared Butler, Johnny Davis, and Bilal Coulibaly. Tyus Jones, their starting PG, is an UFA. Talk about a team that would struggle with being undersized. Yikes!

Topic is a much more natural fit for them, giving them a ball handler with size, but his recent injury might scare Washington away.

I keep seeing Risacher, but this team has tons of forwards and no center to speak of. They have to look at Clingan at #2 realistically.

15. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Blocking shots? Finishing at the rim?

I mean, by your logic, what does anybody’s vertical matter?

16. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

He averaged 0.7 blocks per game. That’s absurd for a 6’3” guard

17. No Worries

Vertical used to mean more in the NBA. Nowadays half the shots are 3 pointers. The team that chooses Sheppard is wanting his 3 point shot first, with vertical further down the list.

18. cdastros

cdastros Member

19. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Nonsense. At his size being able to leap over defenders for shots at the rim is vital if he wants to be anything more than a role player at the next level.

Nook and No Worries like this.
  20. The geth & the reaper

So that’s what alligator arming is! It was all over Reddit but wasn’t sure what that meant.

A lot combine numbers are becoming pointless then.