1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What type of player to target with 2024 Nets pick?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by peleincubus, Jul 27, 2023.

1. j@amc

j@amc Member

I have no read on Williams at all. I want to see some testing to see how he competes to be in the league. My sense is that he was coasting at Colorado. And why not since he got banged around a little.

He might be a better prospect than most of the guys in the upper half of this draft.

2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Fred came off the bench when they won a championship.

Played next to Lowry after that (as SG). Shared the court simultaneously. (Lowry holding his hand)

Since Lowry left they barely made the playoffs. I've been told 8th seed was NBA purgatory.
    Maxey (RFA)...................................Jalen Green
    Paul Reed (NG $7.7M)...................Jabari
    Jeff Dowtin (TO $2.2M).................Tari
    .........................................................Cam Whitmore
    ...(no one else .................................Amen
    .....under contract)............................Steven Adams, Jock Landale, Jeff Green

76ers literally have to sign a whole team around them

And we know how that turns out...... everyone knew Houston had money last year and average
    guys demanded $40M and $20M

Clips probably can't pay both Harden and PG......I'm guessing they re-sign Harden

Please tell me you saw Jalen Green double teamed as soon as he crossed mid court?
    That was out respect........how often did teams do that for Fred VanVleet? None

#142 ApacheWarrior, May 2, 2024
    Last edited: May 2, 2024
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Obviously, Jalen 's speed and athleticism with his improved shooting led to double teaming. Fred got his ring as Lowry's backup.

PG might want to join a contender. We still need more time even if he chooses to come to Houston.

I'm not against having him on a 2 Yr contract if Tyus replaces FVV. I don't know how that can work out cap wise. Our 6 young players should stay together for another season.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I agree our young players should stay together another year.

I'm looking at things from Paul George viewpoint, yes signing Tyus Jones which I'm hoping is around
    $20 (Dillon Brooks money amount) and Jalen Smith (who earned less than $4 million last year)
    would be needed to probably tip the scale over others.

Three player stars would rather load manage than play 30 plus minutes every night and they
    are Kawhi, Paul George and LeBron (would rather nurse his body if his teammates could carry him).
    Paul George is not needing attention and full control like Harden. I see PG taking to that
    Big Brother to Jalen Green role......and Jalen Green would flourish under PG's wing.

VanVleet is a below the rim grounded player, where PG was a high flyer, above the rim
    tremendous talent before his devastating broken leg.

Fact is, the Rockets would have been a playoff team if Tari hadn't been injured
    for most of the season. Kid was everywhere defensively, getting offensive
    rebounds galore, stripping the ball left and right, deflecting passes, tipping
    the ball to teammates.

Jabari will be stronger; Jalen Green end of season interview claimed
    he and his trainer would be locked in the gym and working out daily
    starting circa May 1st. Noting, working on his game, specifically
    building up endurance as a key. 3 years in and 3 years in a row
    Jalen Green has hit a rookie wall. It's being 185 pounds and
    attacking the rim takes a toll over an 82 game schedule.

Even Michael Jordan had to put on more muscle after the
    Pistons introduced the, "Jordan Rules," which was knock
    him down every time he goes through the lane.

Cam Whitmore will be a beast next year. Hopefully Sengun
    is working on shooting 3's with a shooting coach.

Clips are probably breaking things up as they stand at $168M
    before signing. Retooling by using PG money to go quantity
    over quality. Suns had the same problem of 3 stars but
    little depth.

So who else could bring in PG? I'll have to go team by team.
    Guess Miami is in play, they always seem to be right there.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

NOT pick 7-14.

The "easy" answer remains i suppose.

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Go for upside. Solaun, Dilngham. Pretty easy to acquire role players when you have talent.

7. Buck Turgidson

But if you already have talent shouldn't you surround them with role players?

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I don't think the high upside vs solid role player argument applies to this draft. There just isn't that top tier upside player that someone could easily see as an all time great best player in the league type of guy.

I think the highest floor and highest ceiling guys are kinda the same guys this year.