1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Education Agency will take control of Houston ISD

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by astros123, Mar 15, 2023.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It makes some sense to me in a b-school way. By tying funding to attendance, you make sure that the school administrations emphasize attendance to their student bodies. And, per Woody Allen, 80% of success is showing up. (Of course, it also has the outcome of more fully funding schools in well-to-do communities that have less trouble showing up.)

2. Newlin

Newlin Member

Do not fear. Ken Paxton will get to the bottom of it.

ROCKSS, Andre0087 and JuanValdez like this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure what the phrase 'B-school way' means.

I can accept flexible funding for non-fixed items, but not for fixed cost items. There should be plenty of other ways to incentivize attendance. The way this funding system is set up (among other things) pushes more students out of public schools, IMO. As schools get less funding, they struggle, and as they struggle, parents want to find other alternatives, including homeschooling.

It seems all schools nationwide, not just in Texas, are now struggling with these things after the pandemic: 1) Keeping teachers from retiring, 2) Hiring new teachers, 3) Maintaining attendance levels. This is the wrong time to reduce funding on #3 when it seems to be occurring across the board -- IOW, it's no fault of any school, but something has fundamentally changed after the pandemic.

Another side note - our school system could be drastically improved with AI (lower costs, improved education). The future of education can be very bright with good governance. It's just too bad we don't have people in charge who genuinely care about public education and doing what's effective to make them better. What we have instead is this religious need (literally) to move away from public schools toward private, religion-based schooling.

4. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Oh just wait until July. HISD is changing their teacher contracts. Making them make more hours a day and some Saturdays. I believe 1 or 2 a month. HISD is not increasing teacher pay. I know 3 HISD teachers who are looking for other jobs. As far as the money going to the Superintendent's charter schools. I heard this 2 weeks ago. It was a not so well kept secret in HISD circles

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That's the crux of it. Voter suppression, gerrymandering and voter intimidation. Texas should be blue. We need minorities, women, Millennials and Gen Z to get out and vote.

IMO, the political landscape in Texas is prime for moderate, social-media savvy democrats that can capture younger generation's voters.

6. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Texas should at least be purple, I know something better occur sooner than later or they'll be little left to salvage.

ROCKSS likes this.
  7. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Almost as indefensible as tying funding to how wealthy the people living near the school are.

deb4rockets likes this.
  8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I have relatives in HISD. They are royally pissed. They have already lost some very good people in their schools.

deb4rockets, Andre0087 and Xopher like this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

And made it worse.

DD

Rocket River likes this.
  10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Business school. Incentive structures is one thing we talked a lot about when I got my MBA.

I'm not saying funding on attendance is a good idea. And I think a business school class would be very negative on the public education incentive structure. And probably it's getting that structure right is the key to a robust industry.

ROCKSS and Amiga like this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I do blame Texas Democrats. Yes gerrymandering and voter suppression is bad but you can't gerrymander statewide races. We've also seen voters in GA overcoming similar moves meant to tap down voter suppression.

In the meantime Kentucky, Kansas, Georgia and North Carolina all elect Democrats for statewide office yet Texas can't even vote out Ted Cruz who is universally hated by his colleagues, abandoned the state during a natural disaster and did this.

Andre0087 and Ubiquitin like this.
  12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yeah, Democrats are p*****s. That's a known quantity. That's why I said a moderate democrat, a blue-dog, if you will.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Texas has a large and growing population. That an Andy Brashear or even an Rafael Warnock can't be found in Texas is a real problem for the state.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Xopher likes this.