1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sarr vs Segun - who would you take long term at Center?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, May 15, 2024.

?

Who is the better modern center?

1. Segun - the man already on the team

104 vote(s)
    89.7%
  2. Sarr - a potential anchor of a teams defense with some shooting in the cards.

12 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

Segun is a big talent, but his defense isn't all that great . If you think he's baby Jokic then you have to keep him , but I'm looking at Sarr and he looks like a future defensive anchor of a team and I think he has perimeter shooting skills that will blossom over time. People are really sleeping on Sarr and I think he will be worthy of his draft slot. He kind of reminds of Mobley, Chet but his body is more filled out already so he will be much stronger than either from day 1. Do you think about going for Sarr and moving Segun in a major deal?

#1 Pringles09, May 15, 2024
    Last edited: May 15, 2024
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This thread needs to be Clingan, not Sarr

3. Y2JT

Y2JT Member

No. Just no.
    Would you swap Jokic for Jaren Jackson Junior? This is the closest thing to what you are suggesting.

I might consider if they offered Trae and pick 1 for Sengun. Maybe. But still probably not.

I am done on this thread. I will leave you to discuss this with Around the World. Perhaps he can make you see sense.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

At least have the respect to spell the name of our best young player correctly.

I mean, he has only been on the team for 3 years.

#4 AroundTheWorld, May 15, 2024
    Jags, j@amc, ExTxRockets and 7 others like this.
  5. cml750

cml750 Member

Wow, what a very stupid thread. Sengun is on a path to being daily triple double threat and an annual MVP candidate very soon yet some people can't see the forest due to all the trees being in the way.

6. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Sarr isn't that good bro. The BBIQ isn't even close to there yet. There's nothing in his game that I didn't see from Wiseman predraft. Hell he doesn't even look that much better of a prospect than Jericho Sims. He could be good eventually but he needs a few years to really learn the game.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll take the 21-year-old that goes 20-10-5 nightly and anchors a top-10 defense... Call me crazy.

Year 1: 3.5 TOV per36
    Year 2: 3.2 TOV per36
    Year 3: 2.9 TOV per36

Year 1: 5.2 PF per36
    Year 2: 4.3 PF per36
    Year 3: 3.7 PF per36

Year 1: 4.9 FG Defended at the Rim at 63.9%
    Year 2: 6.2 FG Defended at the Rim at 63.4%
    Year 3: 7.8 FG Defended at the Rim at 61.1%

More shots are being contested. Less fouls are being drawn while contesting. AND the FG% of contested shots is decreasing.

Jabari Smith for reference:
    Year 1: 5.1 FG Defended at the Rim at 63.7%
    Year 2: 4.1 FG Defended at the Rim at 58.3%

I wish Jabari would be more active in his help-side rotations and shot contests. He contests about as many shots at the rim as Kevin Durant. AKA, not enough.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Sengun of course but Sarr just needs 2-3 years of polish on his jumper to be able to play alongside Sengun full time.

Works the other way too, if Sengun improves his 3PT shot in 1-2 years then he can dominate both the PF and C spot in the NBA with or without Sarr.

The tricky part is Sengun has factually proven he can be the rim protecting C of a championship calibre defense (top 10 NBA defense). I don't know enough about Sarr's work ethic and IQ to know that he can do that in his first 2-3 years. It's a very high bar to clear. Mary require a lot of development, it took people like Brook Lopez a decade to develop that ability to that high standard.

The other thing that worries me about Sarr is that I see a disproportionate number of prospects developed in youth level France to be softer or more resistant than usual to tough interior play. It's not all of them of course so I would really do my homework on the mental makeup of Sarr. If his attitude is good, then this guy is a max player waiting to happen. Can develop into a JJJ with better rebounding/toughness.

#8 Mathloom, May 15, 2024
  9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Sarr plays like a motivated Christian Wood.

No Worries, peleincubus and Rashmon like this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

I would probably take Sarr #1 but trade Sengun? o_O

How about Sarr vs. Smith Jr.?

Some of y’all deserve Bruno Fernando. Your ideal center is Bruno Fernando, Mo Bamba, Mark Williams, Jalen Duren, Andre Drummond, Clint Capela of yesteryear. “Know your role and shut your mouth!” Rim runner, block some shots, doesn’t demand the ball.

Sengun critics: “Sengun is a stiff, can’t shoot, clogs the lane, gets in the way …so I want to draft the 7’2 guys who are a stiff, can’t shoot, clogs the lane, gets in the way but they block some shots!” (Not talking about Sarr here)

clos4life, YaoMac09, RudyTBag and 9 others like this.
  11. invocux

invocux Member

I'm taking Alperen Shogun

12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Sengun had the best defensive rating of our starters and our overall defensive rating fell when he got hurt.

I will say I’d take Sarr in a heartbeat to pair him with Sengun. Sarr’s 3 ball shooting motion is slow, but it looks mechanically sound.

clos4life, RudyTBag, Entropy and 2 others like this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Sarr is a complimentary piece to Alp.
    He would be replacing Jabari

tagedieb and JusBleezy like this.
  14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

An anchor who shoots cards? It's Sarr all the way

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Sarr has some similarities to Giannis. If he has a solid work ethic and is self motivated he could become something special. He plays way above the rim and already has an NBA body. Nice vision around the basket with range out to 3. There is a ton there to build on. His explosion off the court is where I would give him an edge over Sengun as of right now. He can contest and block shots Sengun cannot get to plus has the agility and athleticism to cover a huge amount of space quickly. Sarr will be an incredible help defender. He can also run like a gazelle and has great conditioning. Not much to dislike, but comparing him to Sengun is not really necessary as they could both coexist on the court at the same time.

JusBleezy and hlmbasketball like this.
  16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I don’t think it’s an “either, or”. Sengun is our future, but he needs to be able to play both the 4 and 5, which will really depend on him developing a decent 3pt shot. Unless Bari develops rim protection skills, I think we’re gonna have a need for a big in the mold of Sarr who can provide that rim protection, while also being able to step out and spread the floor. We know that’s a player profile Udoka wants (see our botched attempt to sign Brook Lopez as an example). I think there’s a world where a 5/4 rotation of Sarr, Sengun and Bari work. They all have different skill sets.

GotGame15 likes this.
  17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Would you trade up to get him?

JusBleezy likes this.
  18. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I don't think anybody in this draft is good enough to replace Sengun at all tbh.

Mathloom, cbass and Aruba77 like this.
  19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

20. Risingred

Risingred Member

Many critics suggested Sarr's ceiling is a poor man Chet. Chet is head to head with Sengun.