1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Ideas Involving the 3rd Pick Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, May 12, 2024.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Detroit or San Antonio might take Sheppard if we do that.

joshuaao likes this.
  2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I really have no clue why people keep mentioning Booker trades - yes it was a disappointing ending to the year but why would Phoenix EVER trade Booker knowing he is under contract until 2028 AND Phoenix has the multiple chances to remake this team over the next 3 years around Booker? Durant is a free agent in 2 years and potentially they could even trade him on the final year of his deal as an expiring and assuming Beal is going to opt into his player option they can do the same in year 3 with his contract. Teams with a star just entering their prime with multiple chances to add max contracts around said star don't just trade those guys because it was a disappointing year - especially when Booker wasn't the problem. Having a 30yr old star in 2026 and $75million dollars to spend is not what I would consider a hopeless situation for a team.

.....come on guys - think through these things!

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Booker Police strike again! :D

glimmertwins likes this.
  4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Probably not going to happen, you're right

But he's about the only star player that's even vaguely in rumors that I would consider--haven't heard even a whiff of speculation about most top 10ish players

glimmertwins likes this.
  5. sydmill

sydmill Member

Bingo

Maybe. Don't think Detroit would with Ivey and Cade already on the roster though. Maybe Clingan? San Antonio is a risk though.

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can see Pop taking him.

sydmill likes this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I hear you but I think there is some hope on the horizon here. If I pull up the "top 100 players NBA ranking" on the Ringer for instance, I see Embid, Kawhi, Steph, KD, AD, Lebron, Butler, and Paul George rounding out the top 21 spots - all of those players are now 30 or older. That's wild when you think about because there is a fairly high chance that 8 of the top 21 players in the league at the start of this season are probably not going to be on the list inside the next 2-3 years.

My point is - you got a young team who are still developing, I don't think there is a rush (and to your point little hope) to get a top 10 player anytime soon......but I think the guys sitting in in the 20-40 range today could potentially be top 20 players in a few years and there are SEVERAL names out there that have been mentioned in trade discussions over the last couple of years - Trae Young, Tyrese Maxey, Brandon Ingram, Lauri Markkanen..or maybe Houston tries to convince some upcoming FA to switch teams right when our young guys are starting to round into form - De'Aaron Fox, Bam Adebayo, Jalen Brown, Jaren Jackson Jr, etc.

Ultimately Houston's strongest strategy right now is to try to be the best development team they can possibly be so that all these young guys we have today can be desirable players in the next few years and give us the most flexibility to pick and choose a roster that makes sense from who we have groomed and from who might be available over the next 2-3 years.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Stone should select a player with genuine long term potential on both ends of the floor, so he can be developed or packaged into a trade.

A trade will be harder to pull off. We shouldn't expect any rookie to contribute much next season. Amen and Cam did better than expected, and they still have a long way to go.

G- league development and practicing with the Rockets is the way to go.

I'm leaning Castle over Sheppard. Dillingham 's total absence on defense is turning me off. Otherwise, he would have been my choice at 3.

We don't need Knecht or Clingan at 3.
    @Nook

Slim likes this.
  10. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

DeArron Fox + Monk + Huerter

For

Green + Fvv + 3rd Pick

11. lpbman

lpbman Member

I would do Tate and #3 for Thybulle and 7 and 14.

Portland has a huge glut of guards and Clingan, Risacher, Buzelis etc could be gone by 7, leaving them to reach for a Dalton Knecht or Edey. For us, I don't think there is anyone outside of Sarr who gets big minutes this season with the exception of Reed Sheppard (who I think could probably get all of Holiday's minutes pretty early). And he might still be there at 7.

If not, we can truely take BPA whether it's Castle or Dillingham, Clingan might drop.... who knows.

12. Landry's Tooth

I still think the easiest route is to take a couple of lightly protected future picks for 3-5 years from now from an older team over the cap desperate to add something.

5 oldest teams:

Clippers
    Suns
    Heat
    Warriors
    Knicks

Clippers and Suns are low on draft capital.

Heat are consistently good.

Warriors are desperate to get one more run out of their guys. Knicks may be foolish enough to think they are one guy away.

Give me 2026 and 2028 picks with maybe a pick swap in 2027 for the #3 this year...

Just top 4 protection on the picks. Would obviously prefer no protection but suspect the other side wouldn't do it without.

A 5-10 pick in a future draft is potentially very helpful to develop or trade when we're locked in to some of the guys we have now.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

Interesting idea. I don't think Sheppard will still be there at 7, though. Getting like, Devin Carter and Filipowski could be an interesting scenario. However, I think I'd only do this if we have another trade lined up to send Dillon Brooks somewhere with one of the core 6 for a major upgrade. Not enough minutes to go around otherwise.

14. Big B

Big B Member

Castle and Devin Carter seem like Udoka kind of players so I could definitely see a trade back. I could see him liking Clingan as well but he seems redundant with Steven Adams. I still say I’d prefer Brandon Miller to Jalen Green so maybe you can trade back with them, swap Green for Miller and get a future first? They could use a true center so I could see them being aggressive to get Clingan. You likely have your pick of Castle or Carter at 6 (maybe Sheppard as well).

15. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Steven Adams should play no part in the team’s draft analysis.

theDude and sydmill like this.
  16. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

No way I’m giving up a top 3 pick for a future, protected pick. And just because a team is old does not mean they can’t retool by the time that pick hits.

Don’t trade back. Don’t trade for future assets. Either trade the pick for an immediate upgrade, or make the pick.

Corpusfan likes this.
  17. Rokman

Rokman Member

Yeah, but Pop is a Euro Ho. If there is a European player equivalent to an American he's jumping on that Euro like a monkey on a banana. I wouldnt worry too much about that. His targets are Risacher and Topic, watch!

18. sydmill

sydmill Member

Just to do a deeper dive into the deals I previously proposed:

#3 to Detroit for #5 + Quentin Grimes
    Like many Rockets fans, I have some reservations about Jalen Green and his fit with the team. I am not sure I am ready to commit to him long term given how that might impact other guys in future years (Bari, Tari, Amen, & Cam). With this deal Green gets another year to see if he can consistenly be the guy he was March on a team at full strength for the entire season. Grimes is the prototypical role player who would provide more efficiency than Green and likely better Defense. If Jalen is not the answer long term then Grimes could soak up minutes at the 2 behind Cam or whoever ends up being the guy there moving forward. Detroit is not moving up to draft a guard given their roster so you make this move only needing to worry about Pop and the Spurs taking Sheppard. Though I think SAS will either take Dillingham at 4 or hope that Topic slides to 8 (I dont really see Topic as likely for Houston, Charlotte or Portland). So Rockets add Sheppard and Grimes to the mix at SG (along with JG) and let the season play out to see what combo works best.

#3 to Utah for #10 + Keyonte George
    See above for rationale. George has potential to be more than Grimes. I think he could end up as an efficient near 20 ppg scorer who also can give you 5 assists a night. He needs some time to get there but I think he will be that. Dropping down to 10 I think youre talking Dalton Knecht rather than Reed Sheppard (in this scenario I think Utah is moving up for Sheppard actually). So you are adding George and Knecht to the team rather than Grimes and Sheppard.

Not sure which option I prefer honestly. There is a cap implication in that Grimes is a free agent and George is under contract for another few years so that could impact my preference vis a vis signing other guys on the team when theyre due.

19. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

FVV + #3 + 2026 BKN + 2028 HOU for Trae Young

The Lakers will be able to offer Rui and Reaves + FRP in 2026, 2028, and 2030. Those Lakers picks are probably going to be more desirable than ours in that timeframe. #3 is our trump card. Also, they could let FVV walk after the year and open up cap space to accept bigger contracts along with picks, or try to flip him for additional picks themselves. This deal would also really kickstart a rebuild for them.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I dunno. Jalen Green/Young backcourt with Sengun protecting the rim. Doesn’t seem very Ime Udoka to me.

raining threes, saleem and theDude like this.