1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is a good draft.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, May 14, 2024.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

We got the guy that would’ve been #1 in Cam already.

This draft is being undersold. A few of these guys will be all-stars no doubt. I see a huge amount of talent. This is a bit of a hangover from 2023 IMO.

I think people will look back and see the players were just a bit raw.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This draft is a good draft, but the guy who went 20 last year would go 1

ok

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

It's really not

That doesn't mean there aren't some good players in there, but it's a pretty bad draft class.

4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

It’s so funny how people think they can predict either way. It’s absurd.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think it’s a very poor draft at the top, but I think there’s a lot of value in the late 1st/early 2nd.

saleem likes this.
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Agree 1000% @Francis3422 - don't believe the Big Board Industrial Complex trying to ruin your good time.

If they're so good at knowing the future they would've bought gamestop calls on friday.

7. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not being able to predict either way makes it a bad draft. The fact that you will have to rely on luck to get a good player makes it a bad draft. Sure, someone should make an All-Star game out of this draft, but not knowing who that will be is bad. Sarr is going to go first, but so did Greg Oden. Everyone else basically falling within a 10-pick window is bad. You don’t have to be a scout to realize that. And it doesn’t mean you can’t find someone useful. But we shouldn’t pretend that #3 is foolproof. If we can turn that pick into any sort of productive NBA player, I’d do it over actually drafting.

8. SamFisher

:confused:

"The thing I take away from these highlights is his consistency"

@Fegwu

9. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Every draft relies on luck, and the concept that this draft is “bad” is overplayed. Sarr goes high in any draft. So do Risacher and Clingan, especially with Clingan’s combine performance. No one last year came close to Reed’s shooting splits. I bet, at the end of the day, this class has no less All Star talent than the average class.

#9 Houston77, May 14, 2024
    Last edited: May 15, 2024
    xaos and conquistador#11 like this.
  10. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

I just read that Clingan literally finished last among big men in like 6 different categories in the combine?
    Real or no?

11. SamFisher

It's more shocking that anyone can even name 6 different categories at the combine

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The definition of “weak draft” really means that there aren’t a handful or even just one prospect that has otherworldly physical attributes.

However there are plenty of superstars in the league who have normal physical attributes by NBA standards.

There’s no Wemby or Lebron in this draft but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a Steve Nash, or Jokic, or a Charles Barkley, etc etc.

darksoul35 and xaos like this.
  13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Excluding Wemby (I know a big exclusion) how does it stack up to last year?

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lane agility
    Shuttle run
    Three quarter sprint
    Standing vertical leap (one other center worse)
    Max vertical leap (one other center worse)

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-strength-agility

(Not sure if this what you’re referencing)

15. SamFisher

Don't forget the Rug Pull, the 3 legged race, and the bob-for-apples

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is a good draft.
    ______

Nope.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  17. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The good players are generally drafted high. That’s not luck.

The 2000 draft is generally considered the worst. You got one All-Star game out of the entire draft. The best player might have been drafted #16. The fact that it’s still pretty subjective who the best player in that draft was (and it’s only down to three) tells you it’s bad.

I don't think this draft will be that bad, but it could be. Even if one person turns out ok, I doubt they can turn this into a good draft.

18. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

I watched him play against Texas early in the season and we ran him off the court. Clingan was protected by a very good team with very good guard play especially defensively. There really is nothing impressive about him other than size. This isn't hard, the Rockets need to take Sheppard because he provides you shooting and can backup both guard positions. Frankly, I think he ends up taking Green's spot when Jalen impregnates another 2 or 3 women while still possessing a horrible jumper.

palmsnbananas, darksoul35 and Arnel like this.
  19. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

2000 was a bad draft from a superstar perspective, but there were some decent players that came out of it. There were actually three all-stars: Kenyon Martin, Jamaal Magloire, and Michael Redd.

theDude likes this.
  20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Amen would be the #1 pick in this year's draft EASILY....and as good as he was last year, that dude looks like he doesn't know what a jump shot is. BTW, I think the knock on last year's draft was it was very top heavy but otherwise had a lot of role players.