1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 6, 2023.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Whitcomb is having a nice season so far. He’s posting his best bb and k rates of his pro career and he’s already proven he’s got power and speed. If he keeps this up he won’t pass thru Rule 5 again.

2. Screaming Fist

So what do the Astros do with all their OF? There are not close enough PA to go around between Tucker, Meyers, Chas, Loperfido, and Leon especially with Dubon and Yordan eating into that playing time as well. Who stays and who goes? Can't imagine Leon has much trade value even if he has played well so far?

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Singleton is in a mini slump and needs to start hitting. If he doesn’t pick it back up in the next 2-3 weeks then Loperfido should start seeing more time at 1B. If Meyers and Dubon keep hitting the way they have, there simply isn’t room for Leon. No big deal; he’s playing well in AAA and looks ready, but he’s not playing so well that he projects as a star in the majors. I would be interested in seeing what kind of trade value Leon has.

No Worries and Screaming Fist like this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Dubon and Loperfido are in a separate group because they have some flex value.

But yeah, Chaz/Meyers/Leon is a redundant trio. Leon can safely play RF, but that's about it in terms of difference, so they are gonna have to make a tough call at some point. Meyers and Chaz have a big advantage because we know for sure they can at least handle MLB pitching.

Leon's toolbox would be alarming to give up for pennies.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My guess is that Espada continues the approach of having Dubon steal PAs from Meyers and Chas despite not being as good defensively and probably not as good offensively as those two in CF (though not looking like as quite as big a dropoff as he was in 2021 versus Chas). He'll also work in Loperfido in the OF to get Chas and Meyers to warm the bench when they are healthy. Yordan will get some PAs in LF so Diaz and Caratini can play DH instead of 1B. Leon, he should have worked harder at playing IF.

6. Screaming Fist

I almost think they try to move Chas if they think '23 was a career year given that he would at least fetch something of value unlike Leon, unfortunately, and Brown seems to be a tools guy. Would obviously be a big gamble though moving an established MLB player to make room for someone who might not provide near the same value at least this season. Maybe they sit on Leon unless things completely fall apart at which point they are freer to move Chas or Meyers.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

LOL! I was going to follow-up with a less snarky, but still somewhat snarky response that suggested trading Chas (or Meyers) when Chas gets healthy. The problem I have which makes it hard not to be snarky is that Chas's usage has been weird the past 2-3 years and is likely messing up Chas's trade value as a CF (i.e., he's a lot more valuable as a CF in my opinion). Chas has a problem with the Crawford boxes denying him opportunities to make plays and he's not been good at playing carom's off of it.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If Leon gets his k rate <20% while maintaining a bb rate >10% and an ISO >.220, at that point he would project as an elite prospect and would warrant making moves to play him in Houston. I don’t expect him to be that good but he should be kept in the minors until he either is that good or there is a clearer path to playing time for him.

Screaming Fist likes this.
  9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Any why hasn't he pitched above the complex league? It's complicated.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He signed at 19, spent a season in the DSL and is now in the stateside complex league. Other than being a late signer, he’s following a standard path.

Zen Tabak and MadMax like this.
  12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I was just making a stupid joke :)

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I already have as much faith in him as I did Julks.

Zen Tabak and MadMax like this.
  14. Radricky

Radricky Member

Julks! :(

15. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the only possible redundancy is between Leon and Meyers. Chas fits this particular Astros team really well as a fourth outfielder and platoon guy. His main strength is his ability to hit high velocity fastballs thrown by left handed pitchers. That works really well for this team because he can play LF against LHP, Yordan can DH and Jake can play CF. Against RHP and soft tossing lefties (Yordan in LF, rotating DH based on rest), McCormick is a guy who can backup LF, CF and RF and can be a solid PH if a dominant lefty is brought out of the pen.

It's between Leon and Meyers who will seize the every day role in CF. Only those two guys, at this moment in our organization, have the defensive ability to handle CF on an every day basis. Maybe Melton is that guy in 2025 or 2026, but right now it's only those two. Meyers is hitting major league pitching really well, so IMO Leon would need to be putting up AAA Yordan numbers to justify replacing Meyers with him this season.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

This is well thought out and accurate IMO

The wildcard is Brown who is known to prefer tools and has a history of getting rid of low ceiling ( even if high floor) guys to add high ceiling ( even if low floor) guys.

I can completely see Brown trading away Chas because he's an established 3 WAR OF (career 3.2 bWAR per 500 PAs) who still has 2+ years of control but doesn't fit the preferred mold.

1) Chas doesn't have any 60 grade tools

2) There is enough OF talent on the roster to cover LF without him (Alvarez, Cabbage, Dubon, Loperfido, Meyers, and Tucker) and it opens up a roster spot for Leon or Melton.

I like Chas as a versatile 4th OF/platoon starter but can see Brown using him as a trade chip.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

[cough] Game Power [cough]

I'd also say defense (CF), though he may have dropped to 55 with all that banana pudding.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Don't get me wrong. I think Chas is a very good player. He's just not a player with exceptional natural tools. He's an overachiever and there is nothing wrong with that.

I think in LF he is probably a 60 or very close with the glove. In CF he has lost a step and probably down to 55 or maybe even 50.

As for game power? He averages 22 HR per 500 ABs. Last year he was on pace for 27 w/ 500 ABs. Zero in 83 this year. Thats solid, but not 60 grade.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The prospect the Astros got for Julks is a 2 pitch guy, a fb that sits 89-91 and he can put where he wants, and a plus curve. He will have a long way to go to be a major leaguer but not a bad return for Julks.

Maybe Houston can add 3 mph to his fb and teach him a change up.

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  20. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If there is a team that values Chas as an every day player and is willing to pay "every day player with years of team control" prices in terms of prospects and/or relievers, then I am all for Brown making that deal. I like that qualify about Brown - wanting to take swings on upside guys. A platoon/fourth outfielder is valuable, of course, but Dubon, Loperfido and Leon can approximate that production even if not filling the particular niche Chas does now. I just would not make a lateral move with Chas considering how well he first our current configuration.

Snake Diggit likes this.