1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    WEST FINALS GAME 4 -- can the TWolves avoid being swept? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

19.7%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

9.1%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.3%
  4. Donovan Clingan

8.7%
  5. Zach Edey

2.7%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.4%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.7%
  8. Reed Sheppard

41.2%
  9. Nikola Topić

9.3%
  10. Dalton Knecht

0.9%
  1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Very very little chance Sheppard goes in the first two picks. Atlanta already has two very good, undersized guards. Washington is looking for a guy to build around, they're not going to pick a guy with somewhat limited upside like Reed, who maybe if you really really squint could become a #2 option but is much more likely to be a good roleplayer.

But even if one of them takes Sheppard--that just means we get Risacher or Sarr, who're maybe/probably better prospects with more upside anyway.

joshuaao, IvanLCPM, jcmoon and 5 others like this.
  2. PWR

PWR Member

This guy, Mark Sears, is flying under the radar just like Jalen Brunson did. I watched him in the NCAA tournament, and he always stood out. He's got a lot of dawg in him. Not scared of the moment at all.

- Consensus All American PG
    - 50.8% FG, 43.6% from 3, 85.7% free throw
    - Career: 122 Off Rating; 103 Def Rating

If we're not going to take Reed Sheppard at #3, then please get this kid with a later pick somehow.

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

That onball defense is amazing.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

...yes, I don't expect a 6'2 guard to rebound much....the fact that the difference was 0.8 between old man Knecht and Sheppard just proves my point.

Now look at everything else. Old man Knecht can't pass, his assist to turnover ratio was basically one to one, he wasn't even a good defensive player at the college level despite being older than everyone, and the majority of his game outside of spot shooting 3's IMO won't translate to the NBA.

Again, why go with the old man?

xtruroyaltyx, clutchdabear and Nook like this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Upper tier??? Lol wtf. If you need to scroll down to see his name he ain't upper tier. Upper tier will be Dalton Knecht who scored higher than RS in almost every category except jumping.

Ok bro let's just see in regular season. If the Rox get him I'd love to be wrong and will admit as such.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Castle is definitely a guy I could see pulling a LaMelo and coming in and immediately being a shockingly decent 3P shooter. Not saying that will happen, but there's a real chance.

Y2JT, roslolian and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

100% upper tier.
    You can read, right?
    Lane agility and 3/4 sprint are great. Shuttle is good. Leaping both static and movement are elite.

clutchdabear likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm more confident in his shooting than RS given his much larger volume and I believe he will be better on D and rebounding in the NBA than RS given his size and athleticism.

Look at Jaime JJ. He obv wasn't as good in college as he is now in the NBA.

Felipe likes this.
  9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

He and Amen are going to have live in the gym with Ben Sullivan

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You’re such a flip flopper. Gonna have to post your posts in the draft thread when you claimed Knecht has no shot at being a good defender and is a poor athlete.

clutchdabear likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

I also like Castle more than RS.

12. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

TBF, he was also 22 when he was drafted. Big difference putting up numbers at 18-19 vs 21-22.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Again those were before the draft combine. I'm not omniscient bro. Without empirical data we can just base it on eye test. And yes Knecht was a bad defender in college, doesn't mean he cant be a good defender in the NBA. Ask Cam Whitmore.

Your problem is you are more concerned with being right than making the right analysis. You want someone to make a stand and die on that Hill despite what new information comes up?

That'd why you are insisting RS was "upper tier" despite literally providing the link on his results.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The data literally says upper tier you fool.
    It has nothing to do with wanting to be right, it’s actually being correct.
    Sheppard tested as one of the best athletes in the combine. The only test that was even slightly below upper tier was shuttle. And compared to other PG it wasn’t even bad.

The data says he’s a good to great NBA athlete, his tape and metrics say he’s an elite shooter and defender.
    But because he’s “short” according to you he can’t be good. But a 30 yr old Knecht is gonna be? He was not a good defender with all his height and length

clutchdabear likes this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

RS is just as athletic, if not more so than Castle. RS is a better defender and shooter too.
    You have a bias that you can’t be genuine

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Define great? Elite? He is the 21st name on lane agility for example. If that's great what's Knecht? Knechts the 2nd name.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think Castle is more athletic but even if the athleticism is equal there is still a significant height and length difference in favor of Castle

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

No no no to Castle. We already have Dillon Brooks. Castle, same all defense little offense player. Add him with Dillon with Jabrari and we’ll never score 100 points again. Want Edey, but zero chance he goes 3 so take the next best big man which is Clingan.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I need to see some Sheppard defensive highlights because castle is a menace defensively I’m not saying Reed isn’t good defensively but to say em he’s better then castle defensively I need to see some stats or highlight or something.

jcmoon and roslolian like this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well first of all Castle is 6'5.5 with 6'9 wingspan if he is exactly the same as RS Castle is better because he is taller and longer than 6'1.75 with 6'3 wingspan. You get that or no?

The bolded statement shows you are the one with bias just like when you said RS agility rank is great result.