1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

19.5%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

9.2%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.3%
  4. Donovan Clingan

8.6%
  5. Zach Edey

2.7%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.3%
  7. Rob Dillingham

5.0%
  8. Reed Sheppard

41.3%
  9. Nikola Topić

9.2%
  10. Dalton Knecht

0.9%
  1. HealthyHamstring

The more I analyze what we should do, the clearer it is becoming Reed Sheppard should be the pick...

2. Nook

Nook Member

Castle has upside because of his body, defense and intelligence - so the idea is that if you can get him to shoot better, he can become an all star and I agree with that in theory, and I do think that it is quite possible he becomes a plus shooter.

The deeper I dig into Sheppard - the more he seems to the the exception to the rule when it comes to drafting players. Every once in awhile a player comes out and breaks all kinds of conventional rules and proves to be legitimate. Steph Curry was like that... Fat Lever is another one..... Alan Iverson .... Dirk Nowitzki.... Larry Bird.

Sheppard is small..... he is 6'2" and has a 6'3" wingspan.... he also is not lightening quick and he isn't Chris Paul as a passer. Yet - he is the best shooting prosect since at least Doug McDermott and possibly Steph Curry. He has the strongest hands in basketball and has expert control of them and they are very quick. He is very strong and he almost ALWAYS finishes in transition.

The concern is you end up with a John Paxson type player, or maybe a JJ Reddick type guy at #3.... but when I watch him play, he is just different. The guy that physically was closest to him was Kirk Heinrich, and he had no aptitude on offense...... the feel for Sheppard is off the chart, and even being squat and pear shaped, he still keeps his man in front of him.

It is early - we will see, but some of the combine numbers justify what I am seeing on tape.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Honestly, if we got Reed and he ended up being something like a cross between Redick and Hinrich I would be pretty okay with that given the (lack of) quality in this draft class. A guy who can be either a great bench player or our worst starter on a rookie contract doesn't sound great for the #3 pick, until you consider that the #3 pick in this class is the 9th pick in a "normal" draft.

joshuaao, Nook, jcmoon and 3 others like this.
  4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Don't be sold too fast! Remember this guy? He was 6'7 ( 5 inches taller than Reed), shot 45% from 3pt range on 6.5 attempts (2 attempts more ppg than Reed), and had a 37' vertical. We thought he was going to be good too but he's just a fringe NBA player.

My thing is, lets calm down and think this through. Everybody is on the Reed Sheppard train right now but there are NO guarantees.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

New info:

good: he had a 42" vert at the combine.
    bad: he measured in at 6'1 1/2".

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

here's what i can safely say i do not want: a center

7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

However, you can never go wrong with height....Clingen. At worst you have a backup center who can block shots, rebound and shoot.

jcmoon likes this.
  8. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

Even if he’s a bench player, he’d still be better than what we’re rolling out there.

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

6’1 3/4”

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I feel like you wouldn't be posting this if it wasn't a white player.... kind of seems like that's what you're really concerned about.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s his M.O

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

To me, Castle seems like more of the same, drafting a body rather than a basketball player and hoping that one day they'll learn the game.

I just don't think yet another pick like that is where the Rockets should be.

13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry you feel that way but to each his own. Its something you have to deal with. However, they have distinct similarities in their games. Its just that Kisperts is 5 inches taller, vertical was high and shot just as good on more attempts.

But you couldn't see the similarities?

14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Why would you say he shot just as good when he was 8.5% worse? That's a MASSIVE gap. If you drop curry 8.5% he would go from being the best shooter ever to being league average or worse most seasons

clutchdabear, Arnel and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, you aren't being very subtle about it.

It's kind of funny how many people go full mask off when it comes to talking about white basketball players or black QB's.

I'm sure you see similarities between every white player to step on the court....but you shouldn't assume that your personal bias is shared by all.

The two players are drastically different, one is a guard, one is a forward
    one is 5 inches taller
    One had a 38 inch max vertical the other had a 42 inch max vertical
    One was a 4 year college player the other was one and done
    One had a 2:1 assist to TO ratio the other was about 1:1
    One shot 52% from 3, the other shot 40%

Basically the only thing they have in common is that they both went to college and they are both white. To you, that makes them the same person apparently.

#975 Bobbythegreat, May 14, 2024
    Last edited: May 14, 2024
  16. H. Christopher

I could see Udoker liking Castle. Sheppard should be the pick. I could be talked into Clingan, Risacher and Buzelis also. No to Dill, Topic

r-fan-since-81 likes this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Knecht IIRC is the lone guy on his team, him getting 39% on his 3 and scoring 21 a game is harder than Shepherds 12.5 on 50% as the 4rth guy on his team. It's like difference between Sengun and Jabari in terms of pressure. I also like his steady improvement from 3 starting at 36%, 38% and now almost 40% all on high volume. It shows his shot is repeatable and consistent.

I don't think Reed has "eye popping" stats, he had one eye popping percentage which is the 52% from 3 on low volume. It may or may not translate I guess we'll see. I mean like I said if he was such a god tier shooter why didn't he show up on the combine? Knecht showed up so I guess the small inconsequential combine wasn't a problem for him but w/e.

Where we disagree is on the other stuff. Knecht has been a bad defender in college and hasn't done anything besides score while Sheppard has shown high bball IQ and all the intangibles. However Knecht is almost 6'8 in shoes while RS is 6'3 in shoes. You can teach Knecht to defend but you can't teach RS to grow 4 inches. Knecht was the main man in college he could afford to slack on D. But now he has no choice but to play defense, and when he is motivated to play defense he will be a better defender than RS due to his length and athleticism.

Amen is a franchise altering talent because of his measurables. It's hard to be franchising altering talent if you have bad measurables. Very few of those.

#977 roslolian, May 14, 2024
    Last edited: May 14, 2024
    hlmbasketball likes this.
  18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

From 3pt range he shot 45% on 6.5 attempts. Kispert had more ATTEMPTS, also he played on a better team in college. So, you had more of a complete picture of him, than Sheppard.

To me, Sheppard is more of a risk. For one he's smaller, also how many positions will he be able to guard? Can you switch with him on the floor? I think there are some serious concerns.

19. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I’d argue Amen is a franchise altering talent because of his immeasurables like very high BBIQ. He has elite physical numbers but many players before him have had top tier physical attributes but flame out because of low BBIQ.

Y2JT and clutchdabear like this.
  20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Sheppard is as tall as our current all-star worthy PG. Dillinger is in the same boat. Amen will guard the 2 guards going forward, so I don’t see the problem in either at #3. I lean toward Dillinger because of his handles. If Jalen fails we do need someone that can break down the defense off the dribble. I think Dillinger is superior at that and has the athleticism to get better at defense. I think both are being underrated and would be happy at either at no. 3. The only way I don’t take one of those to guys is if Sarr drops to 3. Even if he is not all that, because of his age and measurables, he would be a great trade asset.

darksoul35 likes this.