1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Player Development: A Star in Two Years or You are a bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, May 8, 2024.

?

How long should it take for a player to fully develop?

1. Should be evident in their 1st year

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. 2 years tops

5 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. 3 yrs - If not time to trade them

38 vote(s)
    40.9%
  4. 4+ Years - They are a bust

23 vote(s)
    24.7%
  5. It is more depended on the Team situation than the player

25 vote(s)
    26.9%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think Green may reach his potential... but his potential may be a bench player.

2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yeah, I don't pay much attention to either DD or BobbytheBrainless. Both are silly.

Bobby is mostly an attention slut. If I give him too much attention, it goes to his head and
    then she thinks she is the most beautiful girl in the world.

I feel like I give Bobby a chance to have a civil conversation; but as usual when he is losing
    a debate......he then resorts to name calling and attempts to belittle the other individual.

I don't have much patience for such antics.

Jalen Green got tired in those last 18 games of the season as the style is hard to
    maintain, especially when missing 5 players (Tari 1) (Sengun2) out and (Cam Whitmore3),
    (VanVleet4), and (Dillon Brooks5) missing some time during those final games.

As in the video I posted recently, Sam Vecenie noted how a void or space at
    or around the free throw line opened up things for Jalen Green. Teams had
    to double and triple team Jalen Green as he crossed mid court much like
    teams did in the past when Harden was playing for Houston. Only an
    idiot would trade Jalen Green now..... especially after unlocking
    Cheat Code Jalen Green.

Now Ime Udoka knows how to play Green and what personnel
    on the floor compliments Jalen Green (5-players who can shoot 3's).

If Sengun can shoot 3's next year.....they can play as dueling banjos.

If Sengun is like last season....it's a little bit more wonky. I believe
    you can have one player on the court that doesn't shoot 3's (in the half court).

Having both Amen and Sengun out there at the same time and both shooting
    like last year would be poorest of efficiency. I feel Sengun has a better chance
    of improving his 3-pt shot than Amen this off-season.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sometimes Sengun will just have to hold down the "Dunker's Spot"

Rocket River

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes of course, that goes without saying.

He is just slow at reacting; where Amen has it mastered. Amen moves as players drive
    and presents himself as a good target. Gives us a vertical spacing threat from the dunkers spot
    without getting caught behind the backboard.

Sengun is not a lob threat giving us vertical spacing anywhere on the court. Lol.
    Amen needs to see playing time also !!

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Casuals never comprehend greatness.

DD

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Amen is the key to our playing fast. His defense and rebounding are too great to sit. I suspect he will take two years to develop a decent 3 pt shot, but who knows. The kid sure has the work ethic and mentality to do it sooner. Agree that Jalen has seen the light. He has to prove it this year though.

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, I would not have drafted Amen because he is a two to three year project without a jump shot and Tilman made it clear the Rockets were in win now mode.

But Amen was tremendous guarding almost 1-5.
    Rebounding, instincts playing that Dunker Spot to perfection, scored better than Sengun as Roll Man
    per NBA percentile.

Just like Giannis, they would back him up to mid court and allow him to charge towards rim with room, pin his years back and run down hill.

Jalen was then at his best and as a volume shooter like Jordan needed more FGA's.
    Teams have to build a wall of defenders
    like they do with Giannis. General Managers
    now know this. We will be trading a dominant force for another team to prosper from.

Just give him 5-man out and a screen, shooters around him. His hang time and speed are a real threat

8. monster

monster Member

Expectations of instant gratification are out of control. I blame the TickyTocky!!!

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Some dudes get the bag and drop off with their weak mentality and cravings for girls, clubs, alcohol. You really have to evaluate their psyche.

#209 cheke64, May 17, 2024
    Last edited: May 17, 2024
    DaDakota likes this.
  10. DaDakota

3 baby mommas just this year....THREE does not spell intelligence....

DD

11. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

not a fan of this at all, but ant is also a moron with all his baby mommas, homophobic crap, etc. and is still able to be awesome

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In fairness, he was overcompensating, trying to prove he's not gay after being caught humping his teammates.

13. DaDakota

I am not following Ant, how many Baby Mommas does he have? Is it like a BM competition? Anything you can do, I can do better? Type of thing?

(Edit) nope seems Edwards got one girl pregnant asked her to get an abortion and she did and published it to shame him.

I hate social media

DD

14. htownborn34

htownborn34 Member

I picked 4 just because I feel you should give a guy that extra year of his contract to get it right since he could be a late bloomer, but realistically the third year is when you really start to see players take that leap in development

15. Ancient Moabite

No doubt that third yr leap is more suited for players who did at least two seasons of NCAA and by year 3(or sooner) showcase that

But players who go straight from HS to NBA develop diff, just go look at the list (outside of Bron & Amare)

Green is on similar trajectory of TMac/Kobe more than he is Sanchez/Telfair etc

16. Ancient Moabite

But the ent/check writers are said to be ran by the gay mafia (Fat Joe words), so wouldn't that be backwards thinking for Green in trying to secure the bag?

Wouldn't him being gay gain heavy support (moral&financial) from the gay mafia sponsors?

Him humping his teammate was a new version of when D Howard grabbed someone man gems on Rockets bench yrs ago, rinse n repeat

Just remember (if its not too much), all the famous people are part of that gay club on some level.....go ask the latest media punching bag.....Diddy

17. Ancient Moabite

They have their free will opinion, rather its to troll or be civil doesn't matter, its just sports ent and everybody has their personal style/liking in whatever that may be

I mentioned how Green was running on fumes (tired as you said) when that winning streak came to a close, he was dragging to get to half court.....plus he mentioned how he needs to up his stamina

You are on to something with everything else

Its up to Green to carry over his March/23 game season end stretch into this upcoming and later seasons

TBD

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, I saw a Houston Rockets podcast who claimed that the Rockets ran a playoff off defense
    for pretty much the whole season which takes a toll on all the players.

And to top it off, the offense during the streak is exhausting and pretty much finished
    them as they were depleted of: Tari, Sengun, Whitmore, VanVleet, Dillon Brooks for some
    of those games.

This is why I like a first team, second team and Hampton-5 lineups. Keep the opposition
    on their heels.

Some people are legit off in their assessments.....and I feel others are trolls. Building up
    players that do us no good (Udoka won't play; but they feed Patrick Fertitta BS).

Ancient Moabite likes this.