1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

19.7%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

9.1%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.3%
  4. Donovan Clingan

8.7%
  5. Zach Edey

2.7%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.4%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.7%
  8. Reed Sheppard

41.2%
  9. Nikola Topić

9.3%
  10. Dalton Knecht

0.9%
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/st...ts-workout-highlights-measurements-stats-more

Who stood out during drills and scrimmages?

Bronny James, PG, USC: …

Zach Edey, C, Purdue: Edey, ranked No. 14 in our Top 100, measured exceptionally well as expected -- 7-foot-5 in shoes, with a near 7-foot-11 wingspan, 299 pounds and a 9-foot-7.5 standing reach -- unprecedented figures that we learned at last year's NBA draft combine before Edey withdrew from the draft. But he also tested better than last year, shaving off time from last year's pro lane agility drill, and measuring a solid vertical leap and three-quarter court sprint time, showing the significant improvement he has made with his conditioning and mobility since electing to return to Purdue for his senior season.

He also put on a pretty impressive showing in shooting drills, hitting 3s off movement, spotting up and pulling up off the dribble, showing some real potential in that area as he has long insisted he possesses. Edey has quite a few fans around the NBA at this point, and there are plenty of executives who say they have him ranked as a lottery pick, or even as a top-10 prospect because of how well he rates in their analytics models. -- Givony

Devin Carter, PG, Providence: …

It's early, but there's injury news to share

Rob Dillingham, PG, Kentucky: Dillingham, a projected top-five pick who ranks No. 4 in our Top 100, wasn't able to fully participate in the draft combine Monday. He sprained his ankle in a workout two weeks ago, Klutch Sports agent Lucas Newton told ESPN, and is expected to be out for another two to four weeks. Even with a more conservative timetable, Dillingham should have enough days available before the June 26 draft to conduct workouts with teams as needed, though he may not need to do more than a handful given his draft projections. -- Givony

Nikola Topic, PG, Serbia: While players in Chicago were going through shooting drills, NBA executives could be seen nearly simultaneously pulling up their phones and witnessing a scary sight via social media as Topic went down with what appeared to be a serious injury in Game 1 of the Adriatic League finals in Belgrade, Serbia. In early January, Topic suffered a sprained left knee ligament, which cost him nearly 3½ months of action. Monday, he appeared to reinjure the same knee, looking unable to put any weight as he limped off the court in obvious distress. A postgame examination revealed Topic avoided serious injury, sources told ESPN, and will not require surgery. His injury is being described as a left knee sprain. A source told ESPN that Topic "froze up" after feeling pain in his previously injured knee, but recovered quickly in the locker room.

While this injury will keep Topic, who is ranked No. 5 in our Top 100, out of the remainder of the Adriatic League finals, he is still expected to be a full participant in a Global NBA pre-draft camp that the league is organizing in Treviso, Italy, from June 4-6. NBA teams will be taking a close look at the medical examination that will be conducted at this NBA combine equivalent in Treviso, which will be dispersed to teams picking in the top-15 portion of the draft according to new rules that were put in place in the CBA signed in 2023. -- Givony

Clingan's shooting potential on full display

While in Chicago, I took in a private workout featuring Clingan, G League Ignite's Matas Buzelis and Cairns Taipans' Bobi Klintman. While Buzelis' improving frame and highlight reel explosiveness were certainly notable, it's Clingan's development as a perimeter shooter that could really open some eyes in the pre-draft process as he makes his way to visit lottery teams.

Clingan, the center who ranks No. 3 in our Top 100, has a natural shooting stroke, soft touch and real range that should make him a threat from the perimeter in the not too distant future. He spoke at length afterward about the importance of expanding this part of his game, and he continued to put that on display at the combine, where he made shots with varying consistency in drills. It's not entirely clear what Clingan's draft range looks like, as some of the teams that need centers the most -- such as the Portland Trail Blazers (No. 7) and Memphis Grizzlies (No. 9), moved down in the draft lottery. He has a natural suitor in the Washington Wizards at No. 2, but some real competition from other prospects -- such as Alex Sarr and Zaccharie Risacher, as well. -- Givony

Intrigue around Hawks' No. 1 pick centers on ... money?

In any other year, moving up nine slots in the draft to No. 1 would be seen as a coup -- especially for an Atlanta Hawks team that has been mired in mediocrity the past three seasons. But team executives ESPN talked to hours after Sunday's draft lottery did not want to discuss who Atlanta could draft, but instead more the financial ramifications of now having the top pick.

Because the NBA operates with a sliding rookie scale based on when a player is selected, Atlanta is set to increase their payroll by an additional $7 million (the first pick is $12.6 million compared to $5.5 million for a player selected 10th). This matters because Atlanta now has $175.9 million in salary and is projected to be in the luxury tax for the first time since 2010-11.

More important, however, is the Hawks are $2.2 million above the first apron, a result of the unlikely De'Andre Hunter, Dejounte Murray and Clint Capela bonuses. Unlikely incentives continue to count against the first and second apron even if they are not reached. Signing restricted free agent Saddiq Bey to either a qualifying offer or new contract would also push Atlanta over the second apron.

As teams have pointed out, keep an eye on the Hawks' $23 million trade exception that is set to expire July 7. If Atlanta does not shed salary, the exception is not allowed in a trade. Atlanta would also not be allowed to aggregate contracts or take back more money in a trade if the acquiring salary leaves them over the second apron.

Despite the bleak financial outlook, Capela (the Hawks' starting center) is on an expiring $22.3 million contract and could be expendable if Atlanta drafts Alex Sarr at No. 1. Also, outside of veteran Trae Young, no player on the Hawks' roster earns more than $25.5 million. -- Marks

FLASH21 and sirjesse like this.
  2. Denovo

Denovo Member

I prefer Risacher mostly because of height but honestly Reed Sheppard would be the perfect player for us.

Elite shooting and disruptive defense fits Udoka’s structure and complements our current talent very well and he can compete with Amen for the future PG spot.

I don’t like the idea of Sheppard at #3 but the overall talent in this draft is pitiful and A high floor player for this pick is fine since we drafted raw upside in Amen and Cam last year.

Arnel, FLASH21, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He does not have the size or skills of his dad but he looks pretty strong.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#924 daywalker02, May 14, 2024
    Last edited: May 14, 2024
    Nook likes this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

3nD PLEASE!

Cody Williams, Reed Sheppard, Tyler Smith, Kel'el Ware, Jalen Bridges

Ancient Moabite and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Rockets have shown they are perfectly fine developing players in the G League and keep drafting guys without regard to fit hoping to find that star. I don't see moving up from 9 to 3 changing anything in their view except they will have better prospects available and better trade options likely available at No. 3 over No. 9. On trading the pick, yes, the future is unknown. It is impossible to know whether this pick will be better of worse than a future package. Stone will evaluate any offers based on a probabilistic model of what the FO thinks will happen and decide accordingly. Generally, teams have not made accepted offers for a Top 3 lately, but Stone isn't going to stick his head in the sand if he gets an offer he can't refuse. I'd say odds are 50-50 that there is a guy the Rockets really want with the No. 3 pick, but that odds are really low that some other team really wants a guy with the No. 3 pick and is willing to pay Stone's price.

I want Sheppard (or Clingan) but the Rockets will only draft him if they think he's the best pick available (which he might be).

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    But I guess I'm the one who started it, so....

DaDakota likes this.
  8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I said Sengun is a good passer, he has good footwork and he is good around the basket. However, he is not a good shooter in the mid - range and beyond nor is a very good defender.
    And I think because he is undersized for his position, it hurts him against bigger players.

Jokic is bigger with longer arms and he's more skilled.

However, this form is about the Rocket's 2024 draft pick and who is possibly the best fit next to Sengun.

9. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

Reed 100% seems like the guy. He can be to us what Derrick White is to the Celtics right now. And a role like that is what we should be looking for in this draft, there's very little superstar potential and we'll bust this pick if we go chasing that over getting a good role player that will slot in perfectly.

I don't want anyone who can't shoot a 3, spacing is already an issue here and I want this pick to be someone who can actually see the floor on this team trying to make the playoffs. That counts out a lot of guys IMO. The other two that stick out a bit are Dillingham and McCain, but Reed players harder defense than either and IMO makes him a better fit.

I've been a bit interested in Cody Williams, I think he could be as good as his brother, but he again has had shooting problems and at Pick 3 I'm not sure I'm risking that.

Rissacher is somewhat interesting and if he were to blow them away in private workouts I could be swayed but I think chances are he would just get buried in the rotation because we have two guys that I think are better versions of him in Jabari and Tari

Reports I heard are that no one is valuing draft picks from this draft high in trades. I'd much rather take someone than force a trade for someone that won't help much

clutchdabear likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. 9baller

9baller Member

Risacher looks like the guy with the highest upside. I hope he's there for us. He seems like the guy we'd go after.

I might upset some people, but Reed looks more like a very good role player to me. Yes, he would fit well on our team, but I'm hoping for more with the 3rd pick.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think the Rox will move on from Jalen - and may have already, just not saying it publicly, I have Cam as the starting SG - got to be able to shoot to play SG.

DD

clutchdabear and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Dillingham is exciting on offense and he's a secondary passer. He is short, skinny and very poor on defense.

Somebody convinced me that Ron Holland 's jumper is broke.

I'm not sold on Sheppard. This draft is so anemic. I'm going with Stephon Castle for now.
    Saar and probably Risacher will go 1 and 2.

Saar is as close to a sure thing in this draft. He probably would have fallen to 5 in last year's draft.

Trading the 3rd pick isn't going to help us even if Stone packages it with another player on our roster. ( Jabari or Jalen).

14. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Shepherd is not a full time starter- he will be picked apart on the defensive end.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

One of, if not the best defender in this draft

YaoMac09 and conquistador#11 like this.
  16. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Nothing against him and I’ve never watched him play. But we can’t judge his defense by his steals. With his short wing span and standing reach, I have doubts he is a great defender.

Anyone with adequate knowledge of him can give an assessment on his defense?

jimmyv281 likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Most who doubt his defense have never watched him play, most who have watched him play don't doubt it.

clutchdabear, YaoMac09 and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Did he just said "having fun" twice?

[​IMG]

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Steals/blocks/deflections/ratings & metrics.
    They all say elite defender

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Skip to 17:23