1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

19.7%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

9.1%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.3%
  4. Donovan Clingan

8.7%
  5. Zach Edey

2.7%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.4%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.7%
  8. Reed Sheppard

41.2%
  9. Nikola Topić

9.3%
  10. Dalton Knecht

0.9%
  1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The assists and steals combined with his shooting makes him much more than just a great shooter.

2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Best fit for the Rockets is Sarr. Pair him with Sengun and Jabari along the frontline and we can matchup with any team.

The question is who and what do we trade to move up? Next yrs Nets #1 and a future 2nd?

3. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

I think some of you are misremembering some things, maybe you guys weren't old enough? But Curry didn't have Curry-like handles when he was in college and when he first got into the league. People didn't think he could play PG because of his loose handles - and there was merit to that. His handles were nowhere as tight as someone like CP3. Yes, he shot pretty efficiently his first few seasons but he was also very turnover prone and was an injured mess. It was during his injury time off that he really committed to working out, building up his core to relieve the pressure on his troublesome ankles, and also work a lot on his ballhandling.

Some of you guys are making all sorts of little nitpick arguments just to knock a player down. By all accounts, Reed Sheppard probably has the best bbiq of this draft - it's why he's able to anticipate so well and play passing lanes for steals, and also why he shot so efficiently. And if we really are going to question bbiq for Sheppard, then basically every damn player available in this draft has even more questionable bbiq than Sheppard so what is the point you are trying to make? Curry pace, Curry range, Curry bbiq... all this crap that Curry himself didn't have until like 5 years in the league.

Also f*** GSW, f*** Curry and f*** Steve Kerr.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes. They were redundant. As freshmen, neither of them was a starter. Sheppard played more minutes but shot less and scored less with a much higher efficiency, while Dillingham had a much higher usage rate.

So their styles aren't exactly the same. I think Sheppard is more off ball. But their assist numbers per 40 minutes are almost the same.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I really want to see the Rockets pick Sheppard and then roll into summer league with Amen, Cam, and Sheppard and totally annihilate every team.

xtruroyaltyx and zeeshan2 like this.
  7. R=$

R=$ Member

# 3 PICK +

Houston Rockets Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: +9.8 ppg, +6.7 rpg, and +4.7 apg.
    Incoming Players
    [​IMG] Malcolm Brogdon
    31 year old, 6-4, 229 lb SG from Virginia
    15.7 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 5.5 apg in 28.7 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Robert Williams
    26 year old, 6-9, 249 lb PF from Texas A&M
    6.8 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 0.8 apg in 19.8 minutes in 2023-2024
    Outgoing Players
    [​IMG] Dillon Brooks
    28 year old, 6-6, 225 lb F from Oregon
    12.7 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.7 apg in 30.9 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Steven Adams
    30 year old, 6-11, 265 lb C from Pittsburgh
    No games yet played in 2023-2024

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

We lose this trade even without throwing in the pick.

9. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

Castle is probably a player I wouldn't mind the Rockets picking if they can't get Sheppard.
    Kind of reminds me of Jalen Williams from OKC.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I like Topic, Shepherd, Holland, Klingon!

:)

I ignore those who think jinxes are real, it's not like it is bigfoot or something.

DD

hlmbasketball and ROXTXIA like this.
  11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

...Holland, Klingon, Dingleberry.....

DaDakota likes this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Aw man, that would suck. Castle is my personal way to early front runner for #3. Though I am open to a number of guys at #3, Sheppard, Clingan and others.

mikol13 and Nook like this.
  13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Weren't you WRONG about the Texans, that they shouldn't take a QB in the 2023 draft, that they shouldn't take CJ. However they should wait until the 2024 draft and take Drake Maye?

You racked up a lot wrong assessments.....you were on a roll for a minute. Im not being facetious but when was the last time you were right?

14. MystikArkitect

He's more than just that. He's excellent Jalen Green insurance. At worst...one of them becomes a hyper 6th man at like 15-17mill per year. The major major thing here with Sheppard beyond his otherworldly shooting is his defense and intelligence. If you fielded a lineup with Amen/Sheppard/Sengun that's 3 playmakers with incredible IQ. Add three of Jabari/Tari/Cam and you have 4 guys at the minimum who are ball hawks at playing the passing lanes. Reed has that "it" when it comes to anticipating passes and getting steals. Like Tari and Amen do.

I was initially put off by his height but he's just the perfect ying to Amen's yang. And pairing him and Jabari as movement shooters off of Sengun is just the t***.

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The good news about this draft being so flat is that I won't be disappointed in whoever we draft. We really needed to nail last year's picks because there was mounting pressure to show improvement. That is not the case this year. I'm not even very attached to this pick knowing how much it's been shopped already (to Brooklyn) and that Stone will likely continue to keep his options open. While Sheppard and Risacher look like great fits for our needs, I'd be fine with drafting someone like Clingan if we thought he had better value down the line. Even if he doesn't fit team needs perfectly I highly doubt he'll be a bust.

Now if we're at the top of the draft again next year that's a different story. Those are some high tier prospects we don't want to whiff on.

16. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I can appreciate that but my fingers are crossed for Sarr and Clingen. I think we need size.

Either way, its going to be interesting.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I missed on Stroud.
    Didn’t miss on Levis.

Maye/Williams are yet to be seen.

That’s it, that’s the list.
    You have literally never been right about anyone. You quite possibly have the worst takes on the forums, along with the other thing with you (the bigotry)

18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I thought Cam was Jalen Green insurance? Not saying Sheppard isn't an interesting prospect but if the Rockets draft him, where is he going to play? We have Cam, Jalen, Amen and FVV already.

3rd PG?

19. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Matas Buzelis is he 6’8 or 6’11
    I like the way he moves reminds of a smaller Chet Holmgren.
    I think Jeff Green is getting old and it’s a luxury to resign him. We need a back up for what Jabari Smith brings.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How you would pencil them in to fit traditional positions would be

Sengun at the 5
    Smith at the 4
    Amen at the 3
    Cam at the 2
    Sheppard at the 1

That would also probably be their most common defensive assignments but on offense Anen Sengun and Sheppard would share ball handling responsibilities with Sheppard playing more like a 2 and Amen more like a 1.

FVV and Jalen aren't a part of the future of the team.

The Rockets will move on from FVV after this next season and hopefully trade Jalen before that.

clutchdabear and Y2JT like this.