1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

19.7%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

9.1%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.3%
  4. Donovan Clingan

8.7%
  5. Zach Edey

2.7%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.4%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.7%
  8. Reed Sheppard

41.2%
  9. Nikola Topić

9.3%
  10. Dalton Knecht

0.9%
  1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s a PG that can score. Same mold as Curry and FVV
    His handle is not a negative.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Again, you aren’t fooling the testers at the combine.
    Neck length/shoulder height/arm length are all factors.

Arnel likes this.
  3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Sheppard has a 42" vertical? WOW. He's already got the handle, the shooting, the court vision, the basketball IQ... and obviously the just general intelligence level, which is rare and valuable. There are so many athletic wings out there -- to me that's not a differentiated asset.

Shooting + intelligence is rare.

AroundTheWorld and Aruba77 like this.
  4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

CWood has the ability, with him its mental. It always has been. He can't seem to ever put it together. He is a mental midget but he has the physical tools.

I still think Sengun has peaked physically. I think he is Sabonis. Ive always said that. Sure he will get better over time because he will mature but if you look at his skills he's doing the same thing now, as when he got drafted; good footwork, good around the basket, good passer, avg on defense, and not a good shooter.

Has anything changed since then?

He's not going to get any taller nor more explosive. im just hoping he can increase his endurance. But he's going to cotinually to be a boderline All-Star....SABONIS

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, so Amen is a bust because tall and teams would put a SG on Sheppard who is a bust because short and their PG on a 6'7 PG.... and a more athletic Curry would struggle to get their shot off because they'll be guarded by 6'5 guys.

None of that makes any sense but at least you've committed to the shtick.

clutchdabear likes this.
  6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Probably so...I'm just saying if you shave off the vert, we gotta put it on the reach...We could shave 4 inches of Pat's vert and that'd give him a 40 inch vert and an 8'4" standing reach. That is still impressive. He would still have a very good vert.

And I also get that vert isn't the end all be all when it comes to athleticism on the court also. Just saying, even if Pat and Reed shaved their standing reach to boost their vert numbers they'd still have impressive verts but with an even better standing reach.

Arnel and Sen89 like this.
  7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Neck length matters?

8. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Lots of players have the physical tools. They aren’t successful because of what’s lacking in their head or heart. But that’s part of the whole package. You fail to assess the whole package. No wonder you are a KPJ stan.

And yes Sherlock, Sengun is not going to grow taller or become more explosive. Guess what, most adults can’t after age 21. But that’s not what you said. You said “he maxed out”, including his skill set. Is it impossible for him to develop a shot? And if he does, he’s gonna be much better than Sabonis.

#868 duluth111222, May 14, 2024
    Last edited: May 14, 2024
    Shark44 and Arnel like this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Of course it does.
    Don’t start with the stupid talks again. I was the first person to say Alp had a long neck. But he still has a 7’2-3 wingspan. Thats perfectly fine for a center.

Arnel likes this.
  10. MystikArkitect

Do you want to compare their 1st year college stats? Let's do that.

Dalton Knecht - Age 21

MP: 24.1
    FG/FGA: 3.0/6.9
    2P%: .528
    3P%: .361
    FG%: .436
    FT%: .753
    APG: .9
    STL: .5
    BLK: .5
    TOV: 1.5
    PTS: 8.9

Reed Sheppard - Age 20

MP: 28.9
    FG/FGA: 4.3/8.0
    2P%: .555
    3P%: .521 (!)
    FG%: .536
    FT%: .831
    APG: 4.5 (!)
    STL: 2.5 (!)
    BLK: .7 (!)
    TOV: 2.0
    PTS: 12.5

Dalton Knecht - Age 23

MP: 30.6
    FG/FGA: 7.3/16.0
    2P%: .499
    3P%: .397
    FG%: .458
    FT%: .772 (oof)
    APG: 1.8
    STL: .7
    BLK: .6
    TOV: 1.7
    PTS: 21.7

The stats are actually much worse for Dalton then I thought. He's a guy. That's the issue. He doesn't have any trait that jumps out. Reed has some eye popping stats in just his Freshman year. If you gave him Dalton's shooting volume, which Cal wouldn't do for some reason, he'd be averaging 25 PPG. Dalton's FT% is worrisome for a 23 year old and it hasn't progressed. His 2P% dipped 3 points from his Freshman year. Beyond Reed's absolutely ridiculous 3 point and 2 point percentages is his steals. 2.5 per game.

This contest is not close. Dalton could very well be a better player in year 1. He probably will be. But he's just a guy. Whereas Reed Sheppard is a *talent*. That's the difference here. Dalton Knecht is a connector piece and Reed Sheppard is a potentially franchise altering talent. And that's what you draft at the top of the draft. Even with his measurables it's a no brainer. It's like not drafting Amen because he couldn't shoot straight.

11. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I think for me it's one of these players:

Sarr (probably going #1)
    Risacher
    Topic
    Shepperd

Of course I have never seen any of these guys play a full game, so I don't know anything. But I like the potential of the international guys, and Shepperd looks really intriguing.

BigMaloe, Arnel, Easy and 4 others like this.
  12. invocux

invocux Member

The fact that you think this midget who posseses quarter of Curry's skill can play #2 is tragic. The funniest thing you keep saying that Green is undersized and he's 6-4 lol. I'd expect more from you apparently you are like one of #them

13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Sabonis is actually quicker than Sengun and he has a better 3pt%. So if Sengun does get better in those areas, he would still comp out to Sabonis.

No Worries likes this.
  14. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Regardless of his combine measurements, I do think Sheppard is one of the few guys in this class that fits seamlessly into our overloaded core. We have plenty of athleticism, medium-to-high USG guys and length/defensive versatility in our core-5 (or 6 with Green).

Sheppard brings a low-USG shooter who can split PG duties with Amen moving forward. Amen is more the slasher/creator, while Sheppard can be the steady setup guy who otherwise spots up off the ball. Neither looks like a true PG in the NBA to me, but combined we'd have enough PG skills to get by, especially with a great passer at C in Sengun. I hope we can trade down to #6-8 if we decide he's our guy.

joshuaao, J Sizzle and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You take Shepherd at this point.

Having more than one creator on the floor is essential to winning in the playoffs.

DD

16. invocux

invocux Member

Another reason why we should avoid him

17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Just making sure! When I said Alpi had a long neck and it factored into his measurables, I got a lot of backlash.

I thought you were one of those who disagreed. My bad.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Amen.

MystikArkitect likes this.
  19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Damn DD, not you too!

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's 3/4 of an inch shorter than Russell Westbrook with a better max vertical.... and he'd be playing next to a 6'7 PG.

He'd defend PG's on that side of the ball and he'd play more of a SG role on offense.... kind of similar to Curry.... who doesn't really run the point for the Warriors, Draymond Green does.

The fact that you fail to see the obvious way that works suggests you aren't operating in good faith for whatever reason.