1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

19.6%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

9.1%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.3%
  4. Donovan Clingan

8.7%
  5. Zach Edey

2.7%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.4%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.9%
  8. Reed Sheppard

41.3%
  9. Nikola Topić

9.2%
  10. Dalton Knecht

0.9%
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

I showed you the link with his results. The reports don't mention how much he showed up right. If he really shot 50% from 3 why is he not in top 5 of at least 1 of the shooting drills (maybe he is in the top 5 for ft shooting I haven't seen those)? He is also MIA in both shuttle run and agility drill. Ok he has the highest vert but apparently that's all he has athleticism wise.

#841 roslolian, May 14, 2024
    Last edited: May 14, 2024
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah yes, it's a conspiracy. Gotcha.

I do find that when people run into facts that don't align with their preferred narrative or stereotypes they often dismiss the facts with conspiracy theories.

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

If we keep and select at pick 3 I say take BPA and find a good spot for him as he is developing rather than trying to fit someone based on their skillset fitting our offensive or defensive framework.

Can ya'll imagine how much the Warriors would have garnered if they would have selected Lamelo over Wiseman?

Even with injuries considered the Warriors could have either looked for a good trade partner or waited for him to find a full health season as they once did with Curry... even though that was more by force/luck than anything else.

BigMaloe and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He still shot very well.... other's were even hotter on that occasion...are you really saying that we should ignore the season and focus on one set of drills?

At the combine he confirmed he was a really good shooter, just like he showed all season.

I'm not sure an honest person would try to spin that into a negative.

5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

The thing that really separates Reed is his defensive ability.

Lots of guys that he’s compared to are snipers and dead eye shooters but a complete liability on defense.

Reed not only provided the shooting and spacing we need but also a quality defender

And gives us an offensive option if we go with a full defense lineup at times

Arnel, Y2JT, joshuaao and 3 others like this.
  6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I don't know what Pats speed numbers look like, but the guy can jump. He was in the dunk contest and has had some pretty nice in game dunks also.

Regarding shaving of the standing reach to increase the vert, I can see that for a guy who already has a sizeable standing reach...But for a guy who is not very long to begin with, I can't see them hurting themselves in that category for an extra inch or two on their vert....

But lets just say he did....

Lets say he was able to shave off just two inches from his standing reach.

That'd put his real numbers at about an 8ft standing reach and a 40inch vert. That looks even better.

You can't just take away the vert and not give him extra length.

Arnel and Easy like this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Other people shot well too and they aren't 6'2. That's just my point.

The counter point has always been RS is the best shooting prospect in this class despite his height so I think it's disconcerting he didn't even get top 5 in at least one drill. Not all, not even one.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Positions are blurred anyway. FVV was actually the Raptors shooting guard when he played next to Lowry in the championship run. He just got really hot from 3 and was great on defense so it didn't matter how small he was.

I don't really see Reed be a true ball handling PG for a while if he ever becomes one.

9. MystikArkitect

I'll be honest man....putting more stock into some combine shooting drills over an entire season at Kentucky reeks of extreme Haterade. Don't be that guy.

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Also, it’s almost impossible to sandbag your reach. Testing is pretty specific and testers fix posture during testing to dissuade any types of those activities.

Arnel likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He likely needs to play with a big guard next to him in the NBA. If I was going by who would fit best next to Sheppard, I'd want a big point guard next to Sheppard to allow Sheppard to space the floor and be a secondary playmaker.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

He has low volume his entire season though he only scored 12.5 ppg for a 50% shooter. You don't have the volume of a Dalton Knecht who is a certified bucket having proved it on high volume in season and in March Madness. Incidentally Knecht showed up in the shooting drills and the agility and speed drills. Also in the max vert drill. And he is 6'6 so even if the shooting is a bit worse than expected he can still do other things.

If it's just some combine shooting drills and he really is that good of a shooter why didn't he crack top 3? At 6'2 shooting is all he has. If he is just above average at shooting then we just wasted the 3rd pick. It's the 3rd pick bro not the 9th.

#852 roslolian, May 14, 2024
    Last edited: May 14, 2024
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I guess by some peoples logic, Sheppard is the most athletic dude in the draft because he’s tops on combine results.
    He’s not the best shooter because he wasn’t first.
    Stupid logic

14. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I'm in analytics and I've watched the combine closely for about 20 years, and I can tell you that max vert numbers are not that closely linked to on-court athleticism. Julian Phillips, Kennedy Chandler, Donte DiVencenzo, Pat Connaughton - all good athletes, but far from exceptional, were tops in the max vert.

And you can do the math. Look up heights, wingspans and standing reach -- you almost never see anyone with a sub-8 foot standing reach, unless they're 5'10"ish. Sheppard's was 7'9", which was the shortest since 2021, when Tremont Waters (5'9") had the same. You could say Sheppard must have short arms, but other players around his height/wingspan had standing reaches of around 8'1"-8'3".

rfrocket and BigMaloe like this.
  15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Remember you said Will Levis was going to be a Top pick and that Jayden Daniels would not a first rnd pick.

I just don't feel good about your player assessments.

16. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Look who’s talking.

“CWood is an all star!”
    “Sengun peaked at 21!”

LOLs

Arnel and AroundTheWorld like this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I have far more hits than misses.
    You only have misses.

And Daniels wouldn’t have been a first round pick the year I said that. It’s why he stayed another year.

Keep being you though, it’s funny.

18. invocux

invocux Member

Only 2 or 3 point guards are 6-7 or bigger and only Doncic is good among them. Taller they are looser their handles are and you want your PG to have elite ball handling and agility. You don't get those from big pgs. There is a reason why there are not a lot of small shooting guards in the league just like there aren't a lot of tall point guards. Fred and Reed together would make us a tiny team and we need size. Reed isn't Curry he just happens to be a good shooter like him. Doesn't have Curry's handles or bbiq as far as i can tell. Not only he doesn't have the height he doesn't have the wingspan. He will constantly have to shoot over 6-5+ guys with huge wingspan which will affect his shooting. He's not as Curry pace, Curry ballhandling for it to not be a problem and also i don't think he has Curry range. He can only be a mid undersized 2.

19. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Connaughton was/is a very solid athlete, but his measurements were definitely fishy. Look at the other guys with the same standing reach in the 2016 combine.

Connaghton: 6'5.25" (in shoes) | 6'8" wingspan | 8'0" standing reach
    TJ McConnell: 6'2" (in shoes) | 6'2" wingspan | 8'0.5" standing reach
    Quinn Cook: 6'2" (in shoes) | 6'4" wingspan | 8'0.5" standing reach
    Tyus Jones: 6'2" (in shoes) | 6'5" wingspan | 8'1" standing reach
    Cam Payne: 6'1.5" (in shoes) | 6'7" wingspan | 8'1.5" standing reach

He was clearly bigger than those smaller PGs.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Body composition plays a factor.

Also, those players are very athletic. Opportunity just because you’re athletic isn’t guaranteed. Skill allows athleticism to show.

Those players are still some of the top athletes in the league, just not the best players.