1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

19.7%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

9.1%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.3%
  4. Donovan Clingan

8.7%
  5. Zach Edey

2.7%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.4%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.7%
  8. Reed Sheppard

41.2%
  9. Nikola Topić

9.3%
  10. Dalton Knecht

0.9%
  1. MystikArkitect

I'd prefer Amen/Sheppard/Cam/Jabari/Sengun. Can interchange Cam and Tari but Cam is the bucket we thought Green would be.

Even with the measurables, this is the easiest draft pick Stone has had (outside of maybe Jabari). One of the worst shooting teams in the league. Generational shooter will likely be there at 3. He might not pan out but no one will blame you for taking him. You'll look like a moron passing on him to take some oversized project that can't tie his shoe laces. Go ask the Warriors and Kings how that worked out for them.

#801 MystikArkitect, May 14, 2024
    Last edited: May 14, 2024
    Shark44, Arnel, Y2JT and 11 others like this.
  2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

That lineup will get killed in the playoffs. Not enough length and defense.

Are you guys watching the playoffs?? The refs are swallowing the whistles and letting them play for the most part.....ITS PHYSICAL.

I agree we need shooting but if either Sarr or Clingan is there at 3, grab them.

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I didn't mention Reed anywhere in that post you quoted. And I definitely didn't say anything about them being similar. Ever. I've even laid out reasons why they are NOT alike. That was your brain connecting dots.

Anyways, like I said, the talking points you mentioned regarding Reed and Steph comparisons have been discussed ad nauseum. Again, can't expect everyone to read every post, just letting you know it's been discussed by myself and others and I'm not going into that again.

4. NewAge

NewAge Member

well Kentucky and Davidson are wildly different colleges… even though they are both wild-cats

5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Most of us see these players as the NEXT one; Jordan, Kobe, LeBron, Steph, etc. but players like those are generational.

Reed Sheppard can shoot and he does have vision but so did JJ Reddick. Steph Curry had shooting, vision AND handles at an early age. ALL THREE. And even with all of that, he was still a defense liability.

I think he pairs well with a team like Minn, a defensive team and a center who is primarily defensive, not Sengun.

However even if he is 80% of Curry, he will be a defensive liability w/o a generational offensive game and to me, that is JJ Reddick.

6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Nonsense. That lineup is bigger than most teams in the playoffs at the moment.

7. Bo6

Bo6 Member

alright i'm on the Sheppard train... will he be there at #3? Washington likes white guys that can shoot.

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Sheppard or Clingan. I'm leaning towards Sheppard since he'll play more this season(assuming Holiday doesn't return). I don't see Clingan getting many minutes with Adams on the roster.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

“Topic departed Game 1 of the Adriatic League finals with a non-contact injury to the same left knee that caused him to miss 4 months of action in January. He's expected to attend the NBA Global Camp in Treviso June 6, where he'll conduct a NBA physical and Combine activity.”

10. Houston77

Supporting Member

I swear, it cracks me up that so many think you need overwhelming size to win in the NBA. The tallest guy the Celtics are starting is 6’9. Jalen Williams at 6’5 is starting at PF for the Thunder. A lineup that includes Amen-Smith-Sengun is already bigger than the vast majority of teams.

Rudyc281 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Buzelis sounds like a bigger version of Jalen Green.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the only name mentioned that I'm just completely out on is Clingan.

I see him as someone who will foul out of a lot of games really quickly and be completely taken advantage of on switches while also being a complete liability on offense. He has no real offensive game outside of dunks and he's a borderline hack a candidate.

I like his instincts when it comes to blocking shots, and I think his game was fine for the College game or the G league.....I just don't see him as a guy who will make it in the NBA as more than a backup.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

But Risacher would also improve 3 while being a good matchup vs SGA. Good shooters aren't limited to RS.

FWIW despite being called the god shooter here in CF RS was never the leader in any of the shooting drills. 3 pt shooting, spot up shooting, ft shooting, movement shooting he wasn't the top at any of the drills. I think Knecht has had a better shooting resume so far.

14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

RS - 6'2
    JG - 6'5
    AT - 6'7
    JS - 6'11
    AS - 6'11

Boston is bigger, Dallas is bigger, Minn is bigger, OKC is bigger and Denver is bigger. NY would be bigger but their players are hurt.

The only team we can matchup with currently in the playoffs size wise is Indy.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Just say you have no idea what you’re talking about and move on.
    Sheppard is one of the best defenders in this class if not the best.
    He’s Beverly on defense.
    Neither Curry or Reddick have near the athleticism or defensive prowess Sheppard has

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

At the combine?
    Sheppard had a great shooting session at the combine from reports.
    I know you’re not talking about the season, that would just not be accurate.

17. Houston77

Supporting Member

lol no they aren’t. Boston’s tallest starter at the moment is 6’9. The Thunder’s PF is 6’5. Dallas’s PF is 6’7. The only team truly much bigger are the Timberwolves, and Denver is comparable. Again, nonsense.

18. j@amc

j@amc Member

I'm higher on Clingan than many because I think he's shown some ability to add to his game while a student at UConn. When he's a full-time pro, we'll see even more. He could be pretty productive if he lands in just the right place. Clingan should be more impactful than Kessler, who surprised many and has found a niche in the league.

If the NBA tilts the rules in the next few years a little to favor a Wemby age--either by fully allowing all zones or allowing international goal-tending--Clingan will fit right in.

19. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Link? I have not seen his shooting numbers

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yes at the combine. He had an ok shooting session but never led any of the categories or even top 3. Would expect the 50% 3 pt shooter to do better honestly. Meanwhile Knecht is there pretty much in every shooting leaderboard and also 1st in shuttle run.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA_Draft/s/pV0Yi3c66h

But maybe his shot is just that consistent no matter what the situation is. I guess we'll find out. This is just my fear with him the shooting is low volume and doesn't translate. He will be a good shooter no doubt, but if he isn't elite then we just spent 3rd pick on a (albeit good) role player when other talents were available. Or even Knecht turns into the best shooter in the class he is 6'6 barefoot, had a lot more volume than RS, athletic and unlike RS he showed up in the combine. He is much better comp to Klay Thompson imo.

#820 roslolian, May 14, 2024
    Last edited: May 14, 2024