1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Ideas Involving the 3rd Pick Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, May 12, 2024.

1. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I mostly agree, not a lot of the available guys really interest me

MystikArkitect likes this.
  2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I think some teams are going to get enamored with centers seeing as how flat the draft is this year. Will not be surprising to see the centers go earlier than expected—sort of like a poor man’s QB run in this year’s NFL draft. So, if that happens, it means there should be a trading partner or two available when the Rockets pick.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think with the hype RS is getting Rox can now trade the 3rd pick to Utah for their 7th and 14th.

That'd be my move personally.

Bo6, joshuaao, theDude and 1 other person like this.
  4. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

My god

roslolian likes this.
  5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The blazers have 7 & 14 but I like the move.

joshuaao and roslolian like this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Oops it was too early for me lol.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  7. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are trading two non-shooters for one who is a better rebounder and passer. Also, Tate, Green, Adams (and potentially Jock) are all expiring contracts. They need to be converted into longer term contracts that can be traded down the road at some point.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He does not get that KAT would not want to be here but on a veteran contender.

And reversely the Rockets would want a younger star to team up with Sengün and not dump Sengün.

9. Landry's Tooth

To Timberwolves:
    #3 Pick
    Landale

To Rockets:
    Naz Reid

Timberwolves have the highest payroll and are over the cap with just their 2 centers and 2 power forwards. Conley is old and there are replacement level guards in this draft that will be there at 3. They can drop Landale's non-guaranteed deal and move their 3rd center for their future point guard.

The rockets would get the reigning 6 man of the year who is 24, just shot 41% from 3, and plays defense. He can play next to Sengun and Jabari or back them up.

I feel like he's as good as anything coming in this draft.

10. Landry's Tooth

#3 pick isn't going to get Mitchell. The Cavs are win now mode.

This is the closest I could get... still don't know if cavs do since Ingram could be a rental...

To Cavs
    Brandon Ingram
    Jalen Green
    Future Nets pick

To Pelicans
    #3 pick
    Dillon Brooks
    JaeSean Tate

To Rockets
    Donovan Mitchell
    Trey Murphy

Rockets:

FVV / Thompson
    Mitchell / Whitmore
    Eason / Murphy
    Smith
    Sengun / Adams

Cavs:

Darius Garland
    Jalen Green
    Brandon Ingram
    Evan Mobley
    Jarrett Allen

Pelicans:

#3 Draft Pick
    CJ McCollum
    Dillon Brooks
    Zion Williamson
    Jonas Valanciunas

11. Landry's Tooth

KAT is the 5th highest paid player in the league and he's maybe top 25.

It's costing you FVV too so the deal works.

It's the contract that makes him undesirable.

12. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

And it's costing you the third pick. Even though this isn't the strongest draft that's a huge overpay.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

In terms of value, I think this actually is one of the more reasonable deals out there. Murray is the level of player where a #3 pick in a weak draft could net, and also make sense for the Rockets. But after getting the #1 pick I think Atlanta is more looking to keep building rather than tearing it down. The only trade that makes sense for them to rebuild would be to trade Young to SA and get all their picks back so they can tank properly.

14. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I genuinely can’t find a trade with a player that we could realistically get that would be better than the 3rd pick…
    I’d do it I think if they took Brooks… but green and young would be such a worse combo than Murray and young but they would be able to build around no 1 and no 3

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

IMO, if they're trading Murray, it would be after a Young trade and they're blowing it up. Trading away Murray for draft assets while keeping Young doesn't make sense, unless they REALLY think Sheppard's the real deal here. Cause none of the other top guys can contribute to winning on day 1 nearly as much as Sheppard (assuming their #1 pick is Sarr). In which case, they'd want Brooks over Green anyways.

Unlikely either way, which is why I think the Rockets just keep the pick.

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Apologies if I've missed it, but one upside comp to Sheppard I've been thinking about is Tyrese Haliburton. From the plus-plus efficiency, elite shooting, and weird defensive profile, there's a lot of similarity there.

See the below pre-draft profile of Halliburton --

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2020...-state-guard-offense-defense-shooting-passing

Taking inspiration from the embedded tweet, I looked at other players with a 40%+ 3P%, +10 BPM, <25 USG, which Sheppard meets. The list is Haliburton (SO), Lonzo Ball (FR), Mario Chalmers (JR), and Ty Lawson (JR). Lee Cummard (JR/BYU in 08 - now an assistant coach there) was the only undrafted player with those numbers.

Mario Chalmers feels like a reasonable floor for Sheppard -- 10 year vet, started every game his rookie year and average 10-5 with 2 steals (top 5 in the league). Haliburton feels like an upside case, and Ball and Lawson are the "What if?" cases.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Trae is only 25 years old right now.

18. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe. I’m not valuing any of these guys very high. I think it’s going to be mostly luck with who the success stories will be. If we keep the pick, I’d be surprised if we get a player that ever averages 22/6/4.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

[​IMG]

20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I think there are players available that could put up good counting stats like that if given the freedom Kuzma is on that terrible Wizards team.

harold bingo likes this.